PDA

View Full Version : CRW rides?

mayanorange
03-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Anybody done some of the Charles River Wheelmen rides on Saturdays? I've heard a few good things about them, just trying to feel it out before I commit to getting up so early on a Saturday! (not a morning person)

newfsmith
03-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I've heard lots of positive comments about CRW. They have a tradition of social rides, but they also have training rides so be sure you are turning up for the right ride! Sheldon Brown met his wife on a CRW ride, for what that is worth.

Crankin
03-15-2009, 03:37 PM
It depends. I am a member, but mostly ride with the Wednesday Wheelers (slow, old, and social). Seriously, some of these people are amazing and basically I go, and feel good because I can stay up front and ride with the "big boys" of this group.
I have been on a couple of Saturday rides. The first time, I was encouraged to go out with the fast group. They said the average would 15-16, but I was dropped in a second. I was in unfamiliar territory and thankfully, my dh stopped and waited for me. We then hooked up with the Saturday Wheeler group, which sometimes does the Saturday rides, with a leader who keeps the group together, at a slower pace (like we really did average 15). The problem is that they usually go a shorter distance. But, overall, I would recommend CRW. You could also just download some of their cue sheets from the web site.