PDA

View Full Version : Race Report - Angelfire, N.M.

chelle
06-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi All

I did my first race of the year this past weekend at Angelfire, N.M. Angelfire is an amazing place to ride with awesome views, long singletrack trails and sunny skies. It also helps to be in shape for this place as the base of the mountain is at 8500 feet, yes that's the base. Angelfire is not a very steep mountain but rather one that is deceptively long, the high speed quad takes 15 minutes to reach the top.

There is a world cup event coming up at Angelfire in July and they have built new courses for all of the events. I race mountain cross and downhill but I've heard that the xc course is a really fun ride.

The mountain cross course (much like a bmx track but built on the lower slopes of a ski hill) was more like a like a dirt sculpture than a race course. The builders built some VERY big jumps. A mountain cross race involves four riders at a time decending the course with only the first two across the finnish line moving on to the next round. I qualified 2nd after Mellisa Buhl from Arizona. In the end it was Mellisa, Bobbi, Wendy and me. Melissa is a very strong rider and I ended up 2nd, I was stoked.

The downhill starts at the top of the mountain and is a mix of tight trees with a ton of rocks and some very high speed fire roads. The top speeds were close to 50 mph and on top of that throw in a few big jumps and you've got a ton of fun (fun depends on your perspective of course) Again I qualified 2nd to Mellisa (damm that girl is fast). Out of the start gate we decend close to 3000' in just under 6 minutes, pedaling the whole way to go faster. We also run some very special bikes, large bikes with about 9 to 10 inches of suspension. I crossed the finnish line with a time of 5:49, Mellissa at 5:43. Second again but safe.

All in all a very good time had by all except Ross Milan who broke his collar bone, get well soon.

Next up is the Canadian National Champs and the World Cup. Wish me luck.

Cheers

Always smilin

Michelle

LBTC
06-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Wow, Chelle! Way to go! 2nd is a fabulous result!! Good going! Love your description of the courses! How do you do that? didn't take you very many words to get the idea across really well. I could totally see it!

Where are the Canadian Nationals this year? And when are they?

Namaste,
~T~

chelle
06-07-2005, 08:53 PM
The nationals are at Mount St. Anne, it's about 30 mins from Quebec City, Quebec. The nationals are on the 19th and the world cup is the next weekend on the same course. I love world cups, it's all of the best riders from around the world and there's tons of pressure.

LBTC
06-07-2005, 09:26 PM
and you're racing in both?

fantastic!! :p

kick butt, girl!!

Namaste,
~T~

(and, no, I won't be able to cheer you on in person - I'm in BC!!)

spazzdog
06-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Great report Michelle! And congrats on placing; that's terrific!

I lived in N. Mex back in the late 70's... played a couple of softball tournies up in Angelfire. It is beautiful up there.

Can't wait to hear about the Nationals and Worldcup. Good luck and ride like you stole something :D

spazzdog

CorsairMac
06-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Way to go girl! Way to kick some hinney. OK....so maybe not Mellisa's - This time! Think of it as a goal for the next event! Awesome report of the races...had me holding my breath reading about the descent! I'm thinking I may have to roadtrip up there sometime and look over that course. OK...I may need some more mountains under my bike first...but nice to know it's there!!

Well Done!!

bikerINco
06-08-2005, 07:38 PM
congrats on the race. i was thinking about going to race in the XC. i have been competing in all of the Mountain States cup races so far this year. Decided to sit this past weekend out due to the long drove down there.

we are going to go Crested Butte on June 25-26 for the XC race. i believe there will be a DH & SD race. are you going to be there?