PDA

View Full Version : Speedminton...

tantrumbean
03-03-2009, 04:48 AM
Does anybody else play?

Just got into this by accident...used to play badminton years ago, and kept thinking I was going to get back into it, but the hassle of booking a court, cost of doing it, transport to get there, etc. always ended up stopping me. Then came across a speedminton set in a shop by accident. Got it with a friend, it's so much fun and literally a case of anytime, anywhere and for any level!

Check it out, really good fun!

http://www.speedminton.com/

madscot13
03-03-2009, 08:24 PM
I love badminton- it's how my parents met.

but I feel essentially it is a backyard sport and should not involve booking stuff.

we are definitely going to start playing speedminton in lab

Zen
03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
but I feel essentially it is a backyard sport and should not involve booking stuff.

In the US, yes that's very true.
I think they hold it in higher esteem in Great Britain.
I enjoy badminton too but haven't played in ages.

eclectic
03-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Back in the day when I was in high school we actually had badminton as a varsity sport in Canada travelled to out of town tournaments and everything - I don't know if they do anymore.

they have it as a phys ed. class here for the kids

The Speedminton looks really fun!

thanks for sharing the site

tantrumbean
03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
In the US, yes that's very true.
I think they hold it in higher esteem in Great Britain.
I enjoy badminton too but haven't played in ages.

They do indeed! :D In most European countries in fact - in Germany, the backyard stuff is called "Featherball", whereas the proper stuff is Badminton. But if you watch some of the speedminton competition games on youtube, it's definitely not slow motion backyard stuff... apparently Maria Sharapova is really into it. Unfortunately, I'm still at the point where I'm happy to get a few volleys across - heyho, got big bruise on my knee to show for my efforts, where I flattened myself on a wet oilpatch in a carpark....

But yes, give it a go, great fun - really looking forward to trying my nightspeeders for the first time!!!!

madscot13
03-05-2009, 06:59 PM
oh yes i thought of joining the team when i lived in london. if it weren't such a time commitment the chinese would have beat me out anyways.