PDA

View Full Version : Looking for bike buying advice...forgot about the bike specific thread! oops!

gapgoil
11-19-2002, 01:05 PM
Well, it's that time of year when I have had a fab. time riding my bike, and look towards the purchase of next year's fun machine.

I am finally ready to leave my HT behind, and am looking for a full suspension bike. I still want to be able to ride XC, but want the added bonus of a rig I can use for DH. I am looking at a Norco Fluid 3.0, it has 4.2 to 5.1" of adjustable suspension in the rear and 5" in the front.
My question? Does anyone have a suggestion of a bike that they love and want to share? What do you do on it? What does it do for you? or, have you ridden this bike and have an opinion?
oh ya, on top of liking to maintain the XC, and DH, I do ride SOME trials stuff in the city. (that's where I'll miss the HT!!)
Thanks for any advice!

Irulan
11-21-2002, 08:48 AM
You may get better/ more information in some of the mountain bike specific forums... www.ridemonkey.com has the "mud Hunnies" which are a lot of DH/freeride gals... also news:alt.mountain-bike is m-bike specific, men and women.

just trying to help!!

Irulan

gapgoil
11-21-2002, 10:54 AM
thanks for the link... I'll try it out!

Kpicha
11-24-2002, 03:40 AM
Wow, you do everything!

I haven't ridden the Fluid but I've heard that its a great bike. Speedgoat is going to start carrying them so,you could probably get a good deal on one. Also, have you thought about a Heckler? That also seems to be what you're looking for, except for the trials part-although, I'm not sure of any f.s. bikes that would do well in trials.

I ride an Ironhorse Hollowpoint with the new linkage design so I get 5 inches in the front and the back. Its designed for trail use, small drops and light downhill. Ha, not that I do any of that! But I'm getting there. Its soooo plush! The geometry is more typical than if you were to go with a Santa Cruz. Their geomtery is more upright. I'm only 5'4" so I went with a small frame -22"TT and 17" center to top so I sits kind of tall (not sure I really like that) but it does make it easier to clear logs.

Check out http://www.hcor.net/forum and ridemonkey for more info. about the bikes your interested in. Ridemonkey especially has alot of knowledgeable people there.

Good luck with your search!
Cheers,
Kristina

Dogmama
11-29-2002, 04:35 AM
I bought a Sugar 3 about a year ago. I really love it.

My disclaimer: I'm a roadie by nature. So, I wanted something that I felt I could handle in slippery stuff. The Sugar is very responsive, light, and just fun to ride. I'm not a racer - I just like to stay upright most of the time ;)

Kim

Irulan
11-29-2002, 07:13 AM
I don't think any of the GF bikes have enough travel for use for DH. If you read up on them, they seem be pretty flexy, and prone to chain suck, and even breakage at times. But a lot of people sure like them for XC. My pal who rides a lot of DH and doesn't want full DH rig rides a Specialized FSR with big tires. I've heard really good things about Norco; they seem to have a loyal following.

My Kona King Kikapu has more like 3-4" of travel... sometimes I wish for more, but then I remember how nice and light my bike is!!

irulan

waterlilli
12-02-2002, 09:50 AM
I am with you in the hard decision of a new bike. I wanted a Stinky dee, but it is too big for me! I am 5.1 and it is hard to find a bike with travel being that short. I rode the Stinky JR. what a blast, but it was like riding a BMX bike and I would be unhappy in a year. I am also looking at Norco and Brodie. I love the new Shore, but it barely fits me. It is a huge invesment and I do not want to rush and be unhappy! Good luck keep me posted on what you decide. Ride safe.

Irulan
12-03-2002, 08:22 AM
I'm suprised that the Stinky is too small... Kona is one of the few lines that does smaller frames ( that aren't custom)
I was out Sat on the Turkey Burner MB ride, there were two or three guys on Sugar 3's. They all agreed that the amount of travel doesn't make the sugar a "big hit" bike.

I know your frustration... I"m pretty small too and I found that shops either didn't carry small frames...."sure we'll order one in if you promise to buy it" or, I was even told by one dilweed that "no one" made a frame small enough for me.

I'm trying real hard to remember what all the small women in Canada I met that were DH racers rode... they all had more boutique brands like Norco and a few others.

Irulan

Kpicha
12-03-2002, 10:44 AM
Hi Waterlilli (I hope I spelled your name correctly ),

You mentioned that you had checked out the Norco Shore- what was the standover height like? If it almost fit you at 5'1", do you think it would be okay for someone who is 5'4" b/c I'm very interested in that bike, too.

Finding a shop around here that actually stocks long travel bikes is almost impossible, much less finding one that has small bikes on hand. I get the same story, "We'll order it for you but you have to buy it" Alot of good THAT does when you don't even know if you can fit on it!

Anyway, good luck on your search!
Cheers,
Kristina

waterlilli
12-03-2002, 04:11 PM
I rode last years Shore and the Atomik, both of them fit me, barely! The Shore frame is different this year so I need to give that a try. I would go try one out, everyone is different. I am very short in the legs, so standover is my problem, the top tube usually is not a problem. Kona does make small frames, but not the Stinky (15"), it was just too big for me. Good luck

Irulan
12-04-2002, 03:00 PM
Waterlili, if you can get up to BC and go to some of the Canadian shops, it sems that all they stock are DH and big hit bikes. Plus you might save a ton of $$ too.:p

I got really frustrated when I was ready to upgrade. Best advice I haveis to be patient, visualize, and keep looking at every oppurtunity. I was about ready to start going to dealers out of town from where I live, when I got wind of a barely used bike that turned out to be exactly what I wanted. But it took me 5 months of shopping

Irulan

waterlilli
12-04-2002, 06:36 PM
Yep! I am going this weekend bike looking in BC. With the exchange and great service it is worth it. Thanks for the advice.

Irulan
12-05-2002, 06:16 AM
I don't suppose you'll be making into the interior of BC, but The Sacred Ride in both Nelson and Rossland is a great shop.

Irulan

gapgoil
12-05-2002, 03:08 PM
If you are looking for a small DH rig, for downhill ONLY... a suggestion that I have been given is to look at the Balfa BB7 in a small. They are alot better suited for technical downhill. They steer really quick but with a linear spring rate, they blow though 9 inches of travel quickly, and don't pedal well unless it's a steep grade. A buddy of ours has one and it is one sweeeeeet ride.
As well, for any matter, they are the bike to have in the O-Cup and Q-Cup circuit.
BTW, here's my bike....

http://www.norco.com/bikes/2003bikes/images/fluid3.jpg

waterlilli
12-18-2002, 09:24 AM
:)I have narrowed my search down to the Santa Cruz Heckler. I thought about the Norco 4x4, and the Juliana Superlight, but the Heckler wins out! With the 5th Element I can get 6 inches of travel and still have a bike that fits. I am going to get the frame and build it up on my own. 24 inch rear tire and Hope brakes, Juliana saddle and all the great stuff that works well for a shorty. Ride safe.

Kpicha
12-18-2002, 10:18 AM
Congratulations! Lucky you! So, what color are you going to get? The trans red and trans root beer look awesome!
I've ridden the Juliana and its a nice bike but I felt that the Top Tube was too short. The Heckler sounds just right.

Hopefully, you won't have to wait too long!

Kristina

waterlilli
12-19-2002, 07:23 AM
What do you think about- Black with a grey swingarm. I wanted purple, but they do not offer it. I am ordering it after x-mas from a near by shop. My brother is helping me out, he knows bikes.

Kpicha
12-19-2002, 09:30 AM
I bet it would look great! That's a unique combination. I saw a black bullit with red swingarm posted on MTBR and that looked really nice, too.
Its great that you have someone close to you that can help you out.
Have fun!