PDA

View Full Version : well it finally happened

sundial
02-28-2009, 01:28 PM
I finally got the flu. First time in my life. :rolleyes: It was weird--I thought I had a stubborn cold. I didn't have any fever, chills, or coughing but my heart rate was up. I could only do so much and then I would feel wiped out. That's what tipped me off that I might have the flu and went for a flu screen. I had it 3 weeks ago and I'm still recovering. :mad: My knee joints are very stiff and tender. This flu was very, very mild but it really settled into the joints. So much for my perfect record. :mad:

Mr. Bloom
02-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Wow! Hope you're fully recovered soon.

Silver is laying on the couch wheezing and sneezing...and I'm having to remind her to cover her mouth when she sneezes:eek::rolleyes:

While I was only raised in Alabama, she was actually born there...

sundial
02-28-2009, 02:11 PM
This flu is very stubborn. Don't get it if you can help it. I wash my hands and sanitize and I somehow came down with it.

Remember, love covers a multitude of sins. ;)

Zen
02-28-2009, 02:32 PM
You never had the flu before?

Well now that I think about it I can only remember having it once. That was 22 years ago.

Tuckervill
02-28-2009, 03:29 PM
You've been going to medical facilities and under a lot of stress...maybe that contributed. I hope you feel better soon.

Karen

Tuckervill
02-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Oh, I've never had the flu, either. I've had a couple of mysterious illnesses, which could have been some manifestation of the flu. At least one of those was a tick-borne illness, though. I prefer to think I've never had the flu.

Karen

Zen
02-28-2009, 05:50 PM
You've been going to medical facilities and under a lot of stress...maybe that contributed.

Good call.
Two big contributors.
Nasty germy places, those hospitals.

OakLeaf
02-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Ugh.

Touch wood, I haven't had the flu this year.

I used to get it every year. I'd be literally in bed for a week, and very sick for probably two more weeks after that. Flu is nasty stuff.

Hope you feel better soon Sundial.

Biciclista
02-28-2009, 07:36 PM
get well soon!

fidlfreek
02-28-2009, 08:39 PM
I am teaching kids some this year so I got the flu shot for the first time as a precaution. WOW I felt really really crappy for like 3 days. I can only imagine what the real illness is like! SO sorry sundial!

salsabike
02-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Bleah, Sundial. Do you have a good book? If not, I could send you one as a consolation present...

Selkie
02-28-2009, 11:32 PM
I hope Kali is taking good care of you.

Two healthy teens DIED from the flu in our area, so be careful.

I got a flu shot at work. Hopefully, it will cover this bad strain that seems to be making a lot of folks really sick.

Get well soon!

tribogota
03-01-2009, 07:10 AM
Wow! you people are lucky, I get the flu almost once a year...fever, chills, can't get out of bed, the whole thing. Not to mention the various colds throughout the year, beginning of semester, end of semester, etc.

uforgot
03-01-2009, 07:27 AM
I hope you have a quick recovery. I've never had it so I'm wondering what the difference is between it and a cold? (I don't get colds either). Do you have to be diagnosed? One of those things I never researched I guess.

Anyway, get well!

sundial
03-01-2009, 09:11 AM
You never had the flu before?

Nope, and haven't had the chicken pox before either. Remember though, I've been hit by lightning. :D

sundial
03-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Bleah, Sundial. Do you have a good book? If not, I could send you one as a consolation present...

Thanks Salsa, how nice of you. :) I have the complete set of X Files to keep me entertained. When I'm sick I don't read for some reason.

I hope Kali is taking good care of you.

She lays beside the couch and occasionally checks to see if I'm awake. :)

I hope you have a quick recovery. I've never had it so I'm wondering what the difference is between it and a cold? (I don't get colds either). Do you have to be diagnosed? One of those things I never researched I guess.

For me the tell tale sign was the joint achiness and being wiped out too easily. To get checked for the flu you have your nose swabbed, a reagent is added and then it's processed in about 5 minutes.

What I'm battling is the congestion in my lungs--still. And my knees are still stiff and achy. :mad: It'll eventually get better.

Zen
03-01-2009, 09:56 AM
She lays beside the couch and occasionally checks to see if I'm awake. :)

She's checking to see if you're awake, alright.
Awake enough to feed her ;)

Selkie
03-01-2009, 11:28 AM

That's the story of my life! "Mommy, me love you. Can me have a cookie now?" lol :D

sundial
03-01-2009, 01:32 PM
:D :D

salsabike
03-01-2009, 02:54 PM
In that vein, and just for your entertainment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8aprCNnecU&feature=related

tantrumbean
03-03-2009, 02:39 PM

Anyway, get well!

Apparently with real flu you will always have a fever and a severe cough - plus you are flat out for at least a week (although that contradicts the OP, hmmm....)

sundial
03-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Most of the time you will have a fever, cough, chills, lethargy, and aches. In my case it was congestion and lethergy. Go figure. :rolleyes:

OakLeaf
03-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Normally I only get pretty minor respiratory symptoms with the flu; I usually get a worse cough with colds. The fever, body aches and general malaise are what makes the flu so awful for me. And just the fact that it lasts so long.

Dazeepetals
03-04-2009, 06:06 AM
Sorry you got the flu!!! I can honestly say I've never had the flu, but I've had my share of colds and viruses. I've gotten the flu shot for the last 4 years since I'm a pharmacist in a cancer hospital and giving my patients the flu when I go in their rooms could kill them.

Tokie
03-04-2009, 06:13 PM
My primary care doc made extra sure my family members all got flu shots this year. apparently there is evidence that even though the flu shot does not "cover" the bird flu strain of flu virus, people who survived the bird flu were largely people who had received the flu shot. I've had the flu once - it was terrible with the musculoskeletal pain. Hope you are quickly on the mend! Tokie

sundial
03-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Back to normal. :) I'm hitting my vitamins/minerals pretty hard and it's helping my ailments. Thanks for all the well wishes.