PDA

View Full Version : Cycling History Lectures

DebW
02-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Great Lectures at the Charles River Museum Of Industry & Innovation, Waltham, MA

Model Engineers Meeting - “The Wheelman’s Machine” Companion Lecture: March 5, 2009
Doors open 6:30 PM, meeting at 7:00 PM
Admission $10.00, NEMES and Museum Members Free
Local bicycle historian and collector David Toppin discusses the early history of the bicycle from the development of the high wheeler to the social impact of the bicycle on the women’s movement. Join the New England Model Engineers and discover why the bicycle has been called the most efficient machine ever made.

Annie Londonderry’s Incredible Journey - “The Wheelman’s Machine” Companion Lecture: March 18, 2009
7:00 PM Reception, 7:30 PM Lecture
Admission $10.00 members free
You are invited to share Annie Londonderry’s improbable and daring ‘round the world journey with Peter Zheutlin, Annie’s great grand-nephew as your guide. Travel through the 1890s, a time of ragtime jazz, women’s liberation, and Wild West outlaws. Join Annie as she fends off bandits in France, dodges bullets on a Chinese battlefield, and trudges across the California desert with a broken down bicycle. Peter’s lively and richly illustrated presentation includes many original images Annie herself used to illustrate lectures she gave about her travels. Join us and hear the amazing story of America’s first internationally recognized female athlete.

SheFly
02-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Hey Deb - do you know if the bicycle exhibit is still on there? I couldn't find it on their web page...

SheFly

DebW
02-28-2009, 04:08 PM
The exhibit will be up until May 20. Click on "Calendar" and it will open a pdf file. Wonder if this is almost the same exhibit that the Museum of Our National Heritage in Lexington had a few years ago. The CRMI always has some old bicycles on display - one with wooden rims. But I'll definitely try to see the current exhibit, and maybe attend both lectures.

DebW
03-07-2009, 05:15 AM
The exhibit will be up until May 20. Click on "Calendar" and it will open a pdf file. Wonder if this is almost the same exhibit that the Museum of Our National Heritage in Lexington had a few years ago. The CRMI always has some old bicycles on display - one with wooden rims. But I'll definitely try to see the current exhibit, and maybe attend both lectures.

I saw the exhibit after the lecture on Thursday. It's mostly highwheel bikes and a few boneshakers from the personal collection of the guy who gave the lecture. It was an interesting lecture, covering the earliest bikes in the US and the development of the industry in Boston, Hartford, and Springfield from early 1800 til about 1890. The lecturer rides and restores highwheelers and talked about how fun they are to ride and how quiet.