PDA

View Full Version : MS150 Cape Cod Getaway 2009

mayanorange
02-18-2009, 06:01 AM
So DH and I have decided to ride the MS150 this year for fun and because his mom has MS, so it's a cause near to us. We haven't registered yet because I'm not sure if we should join a team or start our own specific one for the 2 of us. Maybe our own would make it easier for people to donate to both of us if they donate to the team? This is our first charity ride (and well, organized ride), so we don't know the logistics of these things yet.

PS- anyone else riding this?

Crankin
02-18-2009, 07:11 AM
When is this? I generally don't like big organized rides, because 1) I hate asking for $, 2) they are quite competitive, even though they say they are not, and 3) I have found that the riding etiquette in really large groups is horrendous and I had a really bad experience last spring with this (it wasn't a charity ride, but an organized metric).
I *might* be interested.

SheFly
02-18-2009, 08:06 AM
I have, in the past, done this ride a number of times. For various reasons, including a VERY BUSY racing schedule, I will not be doing it again this year...

However, here are some tips/answers to your questions (Crankin - typically last weekend in June).

1. People donate to individuals, NOT to teams, so a team is not necessary. Fundraising totals by team will eventually determine starting position, but this is not important. I believe the new fundraising minimum for this event is $500, which is significantly lower than some of the other charity rides in our area.

2. This ride is not competitive unless you start up near the front, or ride it with my DH ;) . Keep in mind that you WILL need to be very aware of the people around you - we have seen some scary maneuvers by some riders, which you can expect in a group of 1500 people.

3. The route for this ride is EXCELLENT! I have typically done the 100 miles on Sat and 75 on Sun. You do need to know that the ride on Sat is FLATTER than the ride on Sun, so be prepared for that.

4. Packing is KEY! Everything gets packed into ziploc bags, and then into your other bag. Why, you ask? I have done this ride in a monsoon, and it is NO FUN to get all the way to P-Town, only to have no dry clothes. Also, trust me when I tell you to pack NEW SHORTS, GLOVES, JERSEY, SPORTS BRA for the second day. Washing overnight will NOT let them dry in time.

5. I have used all of the accomodation options - stayed off site (logistically more challenging), camped and stayed in the dorms. I don't have a preference except to stay onsite.

6. There will be A LOT of food, but also be prepared for lines when you arrive in Bourne. Also know that they are feeding 1500 people.

7. HAVE FUN! I have always enjoyed this ride in the past. Oh - and my teammate is the top fundraiser for the 2nd year running - over $40K!

Let me know if you have other questions.

SheFly

mayanorange
02-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks SheFly! Great info. I have heard that the end is hillier than I'd expect out of a sealevel area.

Cranklin- It's June 27-28 event site (http://bikemam.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Bike/MAMBikeEvents?fr_id=9592&pg=entry)

SheFly
02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks SheFly! Great info. I have heard that the end is hillier than I'd expect out of a sealevel area.

Cranklin- It's June 27-28 event site (http://bikemam.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Bike/MAMBikeEvents?fr_id=9592&pg=entry)

The hills won't get you at the end - it will be the wind! Coming into P-Town you ride into a headwind (every year I've done it, it's been the same). If you're prepared, it isn't quite as bad ;)

Have a great time!

SheFly

Crankin
02-18-2009, 04:03 PM
We got the flyer in the mail today, right after I wrote my post. We are thinking about it. I'd probably feel a firmer commitment to the one day ride in Portsmouth, but that is just a day's ride.
I am somewhat leery about the fundraising, though. I will make my decision on the 28th, after I find out about the summer school schedule, which unfortunately involves taking classes in the weekend format.

katluvr
02-19-2009, 10:44 AM
MS Bike Rides are one of my favorite rides!

Yes, raising $$ is not always easy, but I find the MS Bike Rides minimum requirement very reasonable! They are lots of fun. Really nicely put on.
I have done my local chapter 5 times (Mid Florida), and then Wisconson, Colorado, The Greater Mass (now the Cape Cod Getaway) and Rhode Island. This year we lucked out and got registered for the Houston to Austin MS Bike Ride that is the LARGEST in the country. It filled up in less than 8 hours! IT IS HUGE!

You'll have fun. Eat tons! Often drink too much (if you are into free beer at the end). Meet new people. Be humbled by folks w/ MS that volunteer, or cheer or even ride!

katluvr
02-19-2009, 10:46 AM
The hills won't get you at the end - it will be the wind! Coming into P-Town you ride into a headwind (every year I've done it, it's been the same). If you're prepared, it isn't quite as bad ;)

Have a great time!

SheFly

Ditto! I now remember that wind...and it got really hot in P-town! If they still do the Ferry ride back...be prepared. It was a BIG party boat. You know how crazy people who don't go out much get really wild at a wedding reception---it was that crazy.

I found a quiet place on the boat and tried to chill!

mayanorange
02-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks Kat! Looking forward to the ferry ride back- I like boats, but thanks for the warning that it gets crazy! I haven't been to the Cape since 6th grade (and yes, I now live close enough that I have no excuse), so I can't think of a better way of going back. I'm excited- a little daunted, but excited!

Crankin
02-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Does the ferry take you back to Quincy? I was just thinking about logistics and how it might be better to just have someone pick you up in P Town.
Still thinking about this and how I haven't done a century in 2.5 years, doing that 2 days in a row, and the sleeping arrangements.

mayanorange
02-20-2009, 05:12 AM
Yeah, the ferry takes you back to the start. I think they have bike trucks for bikes and gear, so they transport everything for you. You can stay in a dorm or cot in a gym, camp, or there's vans to the local hotels. I was thinking we'd do the dorm.

I read through last year's guide, which was very informative about how they handle logistics. http://bikemam.nationalmssociety.org/site/DocServer/CCG_Ride_Guide.pdf?docID=30726

katluvr
02-20-2009, 09:19 AM
When we did it you could take either the ferry boat or a bus back.
I though the boat ride would be "prettier".
Your boat may not be like ours, but I mean they danced and drank for 4 hours! Now I can drink some beer after a ride, but normally I relax a bit--it was like these folks never get out!
Then again, I should not judge. I just found a quieter section of the boat. It was pretty pulling into Boston Harbor (for someone that is not from there).
I enjoyed the 1st day of teh ride the best, more scenic and rolling hills.
Overall I enjoyed all.
K

SheFly
02-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Remember that the ride starts in Quincy, so if you drive there, that's where your car will be when you finish.

The year of the monsoon, I took the ferry back to Boston - NEVER AGAIN! I had never before been seasick, but I (and many others) were deathly ill for the entire 3 hours.

Last time I did the ride they offered the bus option - back BEFORE The ferry, and I could completely chill/sleep on the bus (I'm not a partier after 175 miles in 2 days - plus we tended to be the FIRST people into P'Town, which made for a really long day already).

The logistics are fantastic - can't be beat.

SheFly

p.s.
The dorms are ok if you don't end up on top of where the JagerDogs are partying ;) . Also, be prepared for it to be warm in there. DH and I pulled the mattresses off the bunks and onto the floor where we slept for the night.

Crankin
02-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Wait, the ferry goes to Boston? Quincy?
I am confused. But, after your story, SheFly, I think the ferry may be out for us. Mr Crankin has the worst case of motion sickness known to mankind.

SheFly
02-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Wait, the ferry goes to Boston? Quincy?
I am confused. But, after your story, SheFly, I think the ferry may be out for us. Mr Crankin has the worst case of motion sickness known to mankind.

My bad! The ferry goes back to Quincy, not Boston. That means you get back to the same place your car will be, and your bike WILL beat you back!

The bus really was a good option for me the last time I did this ride, although I have done the ferry a number of times as well... I think my seasickness had to do with the terrible weather more than anything.

SheFly