PDA

View Full Version : Pickle juice?

Steph_in_TX
06-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Ok, I picked up my ride packet for a ride this weekend and included in my bag was an ad for Golden Pickle Juice...a Gatorade type drink that tastes like dill pickles. :eek: Now I don't think I've ever met a pickle I wouldn't eat, I love them all, but the thought of drinking pickle juice while riding (or ever, for that matter) is just disgusting. I tried looking at the website out of morbid curiosity, but it wouldn't come up...divine intervention perhaps?

I think I"ll stick to Gatorade...

tatormc
06-02-2005, 12:24 PM
That is very interesting! I love pickles and I'm trying to imagine drinking pickle juice on a ride. I just might have to try some of this Golden Pickle Juice. :p

Technotart
06-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Hmmm perhaps they should make olive juice flavor and while they are at it - throw in a bit of good vodka!

slinkedog
06-02-2005, 06:53 PM
How about margarita? Or lemon drop martini for Snap?

Sorry, much as I love pickles, the thought of drinking pickle juice while riding makes my stomach turn. Although, the thought of peanut butter on a fully loaded cheeseburger sounded really gross, but turned out to be a good thing, imho. ;)

snapdragen
06-02-2005, 07:13 PM
I was telling a woman I work with about getting leg cramps during a ride. Her suggestion was to drink pickle juice! There must be something to it, but I'd rather not try. :rolleyes:

slinkedog
06-02-2005, 07:33 PM
I imagine it's the salt, but there's better ways to get that. Even a salt lick would be better than pickle juice. :p

bounceswoosh
06-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Ok, I picked up my ride packet for a ride this weekend and included in my bag was an ad for Golden Pickle Juice...a Gatorade type drink that tastes like dill pickles. :eek: Now I don't think I've ever met a pickle I wouldn't eat, I love them all, but the thought of drinking pickle juice while riding (or ever, for that matter) is just disgusting. I tried looking at the website out of morbid curiosity, but it wouldn't come up...divine intervention perhaps?

I think I"ll stick to Gatorade...

I've been known to drink pickle juice at home, but on a ride ... I just don't know.

Steph_in_TX
06-05-2005, 10:05 AM
They had samples of this stuff after the ride. Since I ragged on the mere thought of drinking it, I felt it was only right to taste and see if I was right. I was RIGHT!! It smelled like a dill pickle, looked like urine, and tasted vaguely of pickles, but with a nasty whang. I was just glad my back was to the very nice folks handing it out so they wouldn't be offended by the awful face I made, which was something like this :p

spazzdog
06-05-2005, 10:13 AM
I like pickles, but I'll take my pickle juice (or pepperocini or cherry pepper) as an add to tater salad, thank you very much!

spazz making this face :eek:

RoadRaven
06-05-2005, 01:03 PM
makes this face >>> :eek: with spazz

Biking Chick
06-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Back in the day when I had all my girl parts :D I would crave fritos - licking the salt off them first was as important as gently twisting oreos before eating! Certain times of the month I could imagine packing pickle juice in the water bottle along with some kind of trail mix made with salt & vinegar chips and chunks of cookies :D

But that was long ago and no way could I imagine a satisfying swig of pickle juice

nuthatch
06-09-2005, 03:07 AM
Surely this pickle juice drink doesn't have as much vinegar in it as actual pickle juice??? :eek: <<shudder>> Now I'm imagining them sweetening it up to make sure you get your carbs, too. Bleech!!

spazzdog
06-09-2005, 04:13 AM
I can see it now: Picnic Flavors by _______ (Clif, PowerGel, GU, etc)

potato salad, grilled weenies, bake beans, tossed salad, ants... er, watermelon.

spazz

nuthatch
06-09-2005, 04:19 AM
Kinda like that Thanksgiving Dinner in soda bottles that Target had last fall. Turkey, gravy, dressing, and pumpkin pie flavored sodas!

CorsairMac
06-09-2005, 10:36 AM
so you can do a century on Thanksgiving Day and still pretend you're eating dinner with the family??? :eek:

spazzdog
06-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Oh that stuff was awwww-ful! Yep, tried it. BLech!

Technotart
06-09-2005, 04:25 PM
OH!!!!! This reminds me....

If you have the chance, try pouring a couple of tablespoons of jalepeno juice over a backed potato and mashing it in with a fork - it doesn't make it spicy just adds a really nice flavor - its especially great when you mash it into the potato innards and bake em again like in twice baked potatos

nuthatch
06-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Hey, now, I hadn't thought of that! Hmm... would that get me out of the kitchen? I'll take off and leave the family with a case of flavored sodas!! :D

Big Pickle
08-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Check out www.goldenpicklejuice.com (http://www.goldenpicklejuice.com) if you are wondering about Pickle Juice. This site provides a wealth of information about Pickle Juice in streaming video, audio, and graphics.

Geonz
08-10-2005, 07:19 AM
Hmmm... when I did a double metric with a fellow, he brought a jar that had had pickles in it (to me it's not pickle juice unless you squeezed it out of pickles). It hit the spot after the ride, but perhaps in a "strange ritual to do after major insanity" sort of way. I do like vinegar, though :)

texas_emily
08-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Though I've yet to ride it, I've heard that they serve pickles/pickle juice at the Hotter than Hell Hundred (August, Witchita Falls, TX). It's definitely the salt...though I don't think I could stomach pickle-anything on a long, hot ride like that.

Righteousbabe
08-20-2005, 07:51 PM
I did a ride in Georgetown (near Austin) this last Spring, and they had pickles and pickle juice at one of the reststops...and riders were actually partaking! I thought it was bizarre because I never saw that at a ride before. I just don't think that the acidity of pickle juice would sit well in my stomach on a long ride.

Bustertb
08-26-2005, 05:32 PM
I was telling a woman I work with about getting leg cramps during a ride. Her suggestion was to drink pickle juice! There must be something to it, but I'd rather not try. :rolleyes:

Magnesium supplements might be good for that. Of course the potassium is what your body is lacking, the magnesium helps with the muscles and nerves. I have a central nervous system disease and started taking magnesium for the cramps and restless leg syndrome.

emily_in_nc
08-29-2005, 05:06 PM
I did a ride in Georgetown (near Austin) this last Spring, and they had pickles and pickle juice at one of the reststops...and riders were actually partaking! I thought it was bizarre because I never saw that at a ride before. I just don't think that the acidity of pickle juice would sit well in my stomach on a long ride.

I've never done it, but the Great Peanut Tour in Eastern Virginia every September offers watermelon pickles at one of the rest stops (along with other traditional southern fare). I grew up on dee-li-shus watermelon pickles my dad made most summers; they're as sweet as sugar and mind-numbingly good. I would definitely partake at a rest stop. All that sugar would taste great and the carbs would be most beneficial on a ride! :D

Now, dill pickles would be a completely different thing.... :eek:

Emily in NC