PDA

View Full Version : intoxicated cyclist

uforgot
02-10-2009, 12:54 AM
This time (http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/feb/06/police-car-hits-drunken-bicyclist/) the crazy driver seems to be the cyclist!

Bike license? Do any of you have to have one of those?

redrhodie
02-10-2009, 04:00 AM

I do. I got mine at my local police station. It's a sticker that goes on your frame, and the police keep a description of your bike and its serial # on file.

Eden
02-10-2009, 08:03 AM

Many cities and towns have bicycle licenses, but they are *not* cyclist licenses - they are more like tabs for your car and generally meant to facilitate returning stolen/lost bicycles. As far as I know (this has been extensively discussed in the Seattle area) there are no places in the US that require cyclists to be licensed to ride a bike.

On the other topic.... there are plenty of drunken cyclists too... many of them get there after they have lost their license to drive a car..... In Seattle it is not a ticketable traffic offense to ride a bike drunk..., but the police can impound your bike if they think you are a danger to yourself. They can also give you a ticket for public intoxication, I think, if you are way over the edge, but that's got nothing to do with the bike.

Aggie_Ama
02-10-2009, 10:08 AM
There are also annual "pub crawls". I know many a person who has admitted their worst injury occurred thinking they could ride a bike intoxicated on a pub crawl.

TX does not have a bike license.

Resi
02-11-2009, 11:05 AM
This time (http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/feb/06/police-car-hits-drunken-bicyclist/) the crazy driver seems to be the cyclist!

Hi,

yes, in the past Switzerland had a bike license, ok, probably not on a race bike, but commuter ones. The bike license was also an insurance. Last I was home in Germany, a friend of mine biked home form a night out, totaly drunk and biked. The police stoped him and he had to pay a big fine.

Resi

smilingcat
03-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Here in California, bicycles are considered vehicles. And since all vehicle code applies to cyclists (stop at stop sign, no wrong-way driving/riding...) if you are stopped and found intoxicated, you WILL be arrested for DUI. If you are walking with a bike, you can not be cited for DUI but you can get cited for public drunkeness. The police has to see you riding while intoxicated.

Speaking of which, my partner and I was almost run over by an idiot girl who could barely control her beach cruiser going the wrong way on a sidewalk. no helmet, flip flop, ipod sticking out of her ear... And there is a prominent road sign No bicycles on side walk HBMC 19-26(a).