PDA

View Full Version : Need to go to Glacier National Park-cheap!(off-topic)

beccaB
02-09-2009, 09:23 AM
If I don't get to go to Montana(specifically Glacier National Park) this summer I will be a very not nice person to live with, so I'm looking for advice on how to go there in-expensively from someone who is familiar with the area, or someone who has made the trip from the midwest. We usually haul a pop-up camper, but the last time we drove that far with it there was a lot of wear and tear, and I don't think we will be doing that again. I'd like to stay in a lodge or a room with a kitchenette. We have spent so much time trying to keep our campsite "bear-safe" that I'd like it to be easy this time. I'd like to hike more and clean up less. We will most likely drive from here to there because it's too expensive to fly 5 people, and I will want my bike. The last time we made a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, we didn't have bikes and I won't do that again!
Gas is less expensive than when we made a long trip in 06'. I have a priority list of National Parks to see, and GLP happens to be next.

Veronica
02-09-2009, 10:14 AM
It's hard to get rooms at Glacier, so book early.

We were there in 2007 and camped all but one night.

http://www.tandemhearts.com/wordpress/glacier-2007/

The link is to our write up about the trip.

Veronica

chicago
02-13-2009, 09:33 PM
I went to Glacier National Park last year with Cycle America and it was wonerful. It was a great trip.... not sure if the price range is what you are looking for. You can go to their website... www.cycleamerica.com and click on National Park Tours and you will see Glacier/Waterton in there.

I won't be going to Glacier again with them this year, but I hope to do another tour with them.

They did a great tour last year... you might want to consider it with them.

beccaB
02-14-2009, 06:16 AM
I actually just booked a reservation with a nearby campground for a small cabin. This would be a family thing, but only my husband and I will be biking. More of our time will be spent hiking with our kids, although our teenagers can't keep up with us! I've been looking at some pictures of people biking Going to the Sun road. I can't even imagine me being fit enough to do that! I'm also trying to involve the kids and if my husband and I spend long hours biking, that's not really fair to them. But we will be doing some of that. When we went to the Grand Tetons, there were cyclists and trails in Jackson-everywhere! I was just getting into cycling then, but we didn't have our bikes with us. I vowed never to have that happen again!