PDA

View Full Version : aching hips..PTs or somebody.... heeeelp!

lph
02-09-2009, 03:17 AM
I have this crazy aching in my hips that is driving me nuts. I'm home sick with the flu (I guess, I'm calling it the flu because I don't have much airway symptoms but it started with all over body aching and a fever) and am spending day 3 sitting/lying on the couch. Now I know sitting too long in one position can give me all kinds of aches and pains, but today I got out the mat and did some stretches, and it still aches like CRAZY. I just took a painkiller but I don't like taking them for something that I feel I should be able to stretch out.

At rest it's this lowgrade ache right around the hip socket, and doing my usual stretches across the hips hurt a lot more than usual, especially just stretching towards the floor gently with straight legs. Normally I can put my palms on the floor, now it tightens up a lot before I get close.

Should I be stretching this at all or what? I guess it will go away once I'm up and moving again but for the time being I'm pretty much couch-bound, limp as a noodle.

redrhodie
02-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Aw, lph! Feel better. I'm no pt, but I'm guessing you're right, and it's from being inactive when you're not used to it. Also, I bet the virus can get into your joints.

Maybe try an Epsom salt bath. I'd take the painkiller, too. An anti-inflammatory might really help.

OakLeaf
02-09-2009, 06:15 AM
My back was in agony earlier this week when I had the stomach flu. I rarely get back pain, but if I'm in bed too long, it just nails me. If you can move around even a little, that was enough to ease mine. But I'm well aware that may not be possible. Hope you feel better soon. :(

lph
02-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Yup, the painkiller really helped, so for the time being I'm chomping down. I'm thinking it's the flu ache and hypersensitivity showing up where I'm stiff from sitting still.

Gee there's a lot of crap on daytime tv :eek:

Blueberry
02-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Pigeon pose has really helped me open up my hips - didn't know I was that tight! However, this really sounds more like aches from inactivity/generally having flu. I'd continue to rest and do gentle movements/stretching. And take painkillers as needed. Your body will take some time to recover - there are some nasty bugs going around this year!

CA