PDA

View Full Version : First week at work-not so successful

snapdragen
02-06-2009, 07:10 AM
I barely lasted the week, in fact I left early yesterday and I'm staying home today. I made the mistake of lifting a case of paper up to one of our line printers yesterday morning. Add sitting at a desk doing my normal work, and I'm a mess. My hands ache, my neck/upper back muscles keep "biting" me -- sort of a muscle spasm, but not constant.

I'm frustrated and angry, I don't know how to deal with the people at work that seem to think my surgery was about as serious as having a tooth pulled. I seem to be on the verge of tears most of the time.

This sucks.

jobob
02-06-2009, 07:16 AM
I'm really sorry, love. :(

Is there anyone there with half a brain you can you can talk to about it, maybe someone in HR?

And what the heck were you doing lifting a case of paper, missy ?!?

spokewench
02-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Snap: Can't help with the people who don't understand what you are going through; but perhaps you should call your doctor, itemize what happened to you at work; and ask if he would recommend you only work 1/2 days for while until you can handle a full day of work?

AND, don't pick up stuff you should not be picking up, you silly girl! I know you want to be well, but simple fact is, you have to ask for help sometimes.

I'm scolding you, but I'm just like you, I never ask for help!

spoke

Bruno28
02-06-2009, 07:38 AM
So sorry to hear this Snap.

Is there any way you can have a phased return with limited duties?

I had some health issues a couple of years ago and my doc certified me as 'fit within limits'. My employer involved me in consultations with occupational health to determine what those limits were. I had a six month gradual phase in.

Or maybe you are just not ready for work at all yet.

Can you talk to your doc to support you in this? My employers were terrified of a claim so were really co-operative...er, were acting as responsible employers:)

OakLeaf
02-06-2009, 07:47 AM
(((((((Snap)))))))

I'm so sorry the return to work isn't going well.

You know the more you push yourself, the more your workmates are reinforced in their idea that you haven't been through anything serious. :(

+1 on trying to work half days for a while.

maillotpois
02-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Wow I am really sorry! That blows. Please do talk to someone in HR if you can.

TsPoet
02-06-2009, 08:51 AM
You made it through most of the week and started getting back into the swing of things - so not a total failure.
Every week will be better.
Don't forget to take mental time for yourself, too. Take a break to get up, or sit down, or just chill, every hour or so. Read LOL Cats website, whatever - mental rest is important, too.

{{{hugs}}}

aka_kim
02-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Ah, so sorry Snap.

And for those insensitive cretins, er, I mean coworkers, tell them to FO. Unless they've been in your shoes, how can they possibly know what you've gone through?

Take it easy.

SadieKate
02-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Isn't the minion for lifting? Repeat after me: "That pencil is too heavy."

What is with HR that they aren't checking on you? And part time to ease back in is a good suggestion. I can't imagine your back is ready for sitting 5 days/8 hrs.

BleeckerSt_Girl
02-06-2009, 10:03 AM
You lifted a case of paper?- as in 10 reams in a box? Ok, that was definitely not a smart move. Those cases are HEAVY. :eek:
Remember, it's not just your neck, but also the weeks during which you did very little if any physical activity- your body and muscles need to be eased back up slowly.
Don't do any more lifting of heavy things! :(
Hope you feel better soon. It sounds pretty awful.

snapdragen
02-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Isn't the minion for lifting? Repeat after me: "That pencil is too heavy."

Minion has been out all week with a concussion, crashed his minibike and hit his head on a stump.

I'm working on a list of questions for my doc. He's liable to run screaming...

SadieKate
02-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Good lord. Rename your dept: The Walking Wounded.

TGIF.

Trekhawk
02-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your week Snap. I think the girls have the right idea about half days. You need to ease back into things. Chat to your doctor and get something sorted and ignore the half wits at work they are not worth your time.

crazycanuck
02-06-2009, 04:04 PM
What a load of poo! :mad: Give your manager the backwards victory sign & see if they get it..

Get to yr dr with the questions so you can demand HR to help you. Failing that snap, you'll just have to go on vacation.

Red Rock
02-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I just wanted to say how I agree with all who have posted so far.

When I had my appendix out, (which is NOTHING to what you had done!) I had to work gradually back to full days too. That was a blessing. I was so tired when I came for a half a day, I could not believe it. It was then I realized that going to work includes all the time at home preparing to go to work. So that could add on a few hours that are not even counted.

I hope your healing continues; may you have many questions that your Doc can answer for you. Forget about those that have no comprehension of what you have gone through!

Peaceful healing to you.

Red Rock

snapdragen
02-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Good lord. Rename your dept: The Walking Wounded.

TGIF.

Yeah really. Poo brain wasn't wearing a helmet either! His wife is giving him hell on a regular basis for that; I told him I was on her side.

I've got a call in to my doc, hopefully I'll hear from him on Monday.

Veronica
02-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Have a restful weekend.

It sounds like you work with some really nasty people. They need some empathy training.

Veronica

Selkie
02-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Sorry you had to go through this. Hell is other people. Sounds like your workplace is a doozy.

How many more days til you can retire?

snapdragen
02-07-2009, 07:08 AM
How many more days til you can retire?

1 year + 1 month. Not that I'm counting or anything......

Duck on Wheels
02-07-2009, 01:33 PM
((((Snap)))) Of course, in theory you KNEW you'd have to rebuild strength slowly and patiently, right? In theory, you knew you start by lifting just a handfull of papers at a time, only gradually working your way up to a ream, not to mention a whole box. And that you should be taking stretch breaks from your deskwork. Nobody, not even people who HAVEN'T been through neck surgery, should be sitting at their computer all day without taking several stretch breaks. So ... you build up slowly and by the time you're back at full speed, you can enjoy that retirement in good health. Consider work like a 1-year training studio program to build back your health for all that biking fun once you've retired. :cool:

bmccasland
02-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Geeze Snap, what are we going to do with you?? So it's been a week, how are you THIS week? What did the doctor say?

Or, since tomorrow is Friday the 13th are you hiding under a rock somewhere eating theraputic icecream?

snapdragen
02-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Still exhausted, but my assistant was back this week -- no heavy lifting. I called my doctor but he never got back to me. I shall rip him a new one on my next appointment.

Not working tomorrow, all kinds of appointments so I took the day off.

Wahine
02-13-2009, 11:14 AM
(((((Snap))))))

I just saw this. I've been away.

I would second the gradual return to work schedule and watch out for any lifting and reaching, especially overhead!!

Tell the silly people that they basically surgically fractured your neck to relieve nerve pressure. That's what a decompression is if they have to do anything with the bone (correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they had to do some boney decomp and a fusion maybe in your case). That should give them some perspective.

snapdragen
02-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Wahine! Hey stranger! Good to hear from you!

I've decided to go with my gut, if I don't think I should do something, I won't. If it causes problems, well, I have a neurosurgeon and now an orthopedic surgeon to back me up. ;)