PDA

View Full Version : Belgium cycling-but not for me

shootingstar
01-31-2009, 10:49 PM
You know it's abit hard when I can't join my dearie on his solo bike trips..'cause I'm working full-time. This time I just can't go since I'm with a new employer and am still be in 'testing' stage with the employer.

So he's going off to Brussels this spring..part of time for a cycling conference. Any routes, experiences cycling in Belgium? One of those places at least I don't hear as much as other European countries on cycling routes/adventures. But that's just narrow me probably. :o

I've been Belgium years ago prior to cycling passion in Brussels and Brugges for 4 days in total.

tulip
02-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Wow, I want your dearie's job--getting to go to Belgium for work! I have been to Belgium but not with a bike. It's alot like the Netherlands: flat, canals, cute.

If he's there in the spring and he likes European racing, perhaps he'll be able to catch one or more of the one-day spring classics, on the cobblestones even. I hope he has a wonderful time (and that you get to go next time!)

withm
02-01-2009, 04:57 AM
I spent 10 days biking from Brugges to Amsterdam and all I can say is if you ever get a chance to do something like this run, don't walk to the airport. It was wonderful! Bike paths everywhere. We biked a lot along the canals and rivers. I felt like I was in Never-Never-Land. If I had time, and $ I'd go again in a heartbeat! Your husband is very lucky to get a trip like this. Hope he has a great time.

papaver
03-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Hey, I'm Belgian and i always use this site : http://www.fietsnet.be/routeplanner/default.aspx

You see a map with villages and numbers. You click on one of the numbers (where you want to start your route) and you draw a route following the numbers.

In the streeds you see signs with the numbers so you never get lost. You just print out your route and stick it on your bike. It's really handy if you don't know the area at all.

If he likes to join a group (mostly around 20 to 50 cyclists) he just has to ride around on saturday morning and sunday morning. They always pick up solo cyclists or people will just join him. Everybody speaks English (at least in the dutch speaking part of Belgium). So he'll be just fine. :)

shootingstar
03-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Thx so much papaver. It might make it a tiny easier if the site was at least in French or ..German (he can read bits and pieces of German since he was born in Germany.)

But international language of numbers helps alot too! :) which he will go by.

papaver
03-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Thx so much papaver. It might make it a tiny easier if the site was at least in French or ..German (he can read bits and pieces of German since he was born in Germany.)

But international language of numbers helps alot too! :) which he will go by.

It's a fairly new site, so give it some time. :) They only started this type of routes this year. :)

If he's here in april he can go see the Tour of Flanders, and the weekend after that Paris-Roubaix.

shootingstar
03-20-2009, 12:21 PM
It's a fairly new site, so give it some time. :) They only started this type of routes this year. :)

If he's here in april he can go see the Tour of Flanders, and the weekend after that Paris-Roubaix.

He'll be in Brussels in May.
One of the conference dinners (or luncheon) is at the European Parliament buildings.

papaver
04-07-2009, 12:28 AM
If he's there at the end of may, he definately should ride the Gouden Flandrien.

That's the whole Tour of Flandres but not so overcrowded as the one the day before the classic.

http://www.degoudenflandrien.be/

The site is in English. :)

shootingstar
04-07-2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the site, paperv.

Keep in mind, the purpose of his trip is to examine European cycling facilities and cycling routes for commuters and stimulating local tourism/economy. He does discuss and show people here what he finds in Europe.

He will be in Brussels near the beginning of his trip, then he will head eventually to Amsterdam with stops along in Belgium before returning to Canada from Paris.

He will be cycling with weight of his baggage..which includes his laptop on his back (I wish he wouldn't... but it's safest for his computer.) plus his panniers. I know he isn't the sort of cyclist that is thrilled to do a large chunk of a route on cobblestone and if he has a choice to be on a smoother road, he will choose that.

By the way, the only cobblestone road areas I can think (and where I've been and have cycled) in Canadian cities, is central old historic areas of Montreal, Quebec City and a small courtyard areas in historic areas in Toronto. Vancouver doesn't have any cobblestone areas..

papaver
04-07-2009, 06:37 AM
he'll be just fine. You know there are lots of routes in our country (as well as in holland). There are 1.9 million cyclists (commuters not included) in Flanders alone (dutch speaking region of Belgium). That's 1/3 of all inhabitants.
Wherever he goes, he can go to the local tourist office and ask for cycling roadmaps. Every village has at least one route. :)

Oh and the site i gave you earlier with the numbers, that will be just perfect for him. Holland is working on such a system too. It's really handy.

And this one... and hey... it's in English too. LOL :D

http://www.fietsroute.org/indexuk.htm

Thorn
04-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Awesome site, papaver! What a great use of mapping software and a great way to encourage cycling. Oh to have just 1/2 that many routes...

papaver
04-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Awesome site, papaver! What a great use of mapping software and a great way to encourage cycling. Oh to have just 1/2 that many routes...

It's our national sport. You know, it's healthy, it's perfect for kids, adults, and older people. My parents are in their mid seventies and they still cycle every day. At least 35 kms per day (exept when the weather is too bad).

It just comes natural to us, first you learn to walk and then you learn to ride a bike. :D

Tri Girl
04-08-2009, 05:57 PM
I want to live in a country like that. I may have to become Belgian. :)

Reesha
07-04-2009, 03:15 PM
This thread makes me miss Belgium like MAD!

When I lived there I wasn't really a 'cycling' for pleasure lass yet... still was a cycling for utility girl as I had been through most of my youth. I don't think I had any real appreciation for the sheer volume of bike safe routes. I remember before school started up in Brugge that we did some really nice rides to Knokke-Heist and Sluis, NL but it's been ten years and the memories are distant. I remember pulling ourselves across canals on a cable-guided raft too! So neat. Damme was also a favorite place to ride to as well. http://lesoftparade.com/boards/images/smilies/thinlove.gif

Anyway, I think a bike tour of Flanders and the Netherlands is in order... maybe that will be my next vacation, although my mom wants me to go to Australia and stay with her friend in Sydney for a month. She's got three teenage boys and has always wanted a daughter! :p Also, I probably need a touring bike first... all in good time!

Reesha
07-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Also, shootingstar, how did your partner find Belgium when he went?