PDA

View Full Version : List of T/Pear shaped saddles? Don't know what I have

trimom
01-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi - new here but not so new to biking. I have been riding for the last year. I did two triathlons last year and hope to do more in the future. I am having serious saddle issues - I have been through at least 6 - giving some of them months and others hours. Terry Zero x, selle smp, serfas tri... now I have a Specialized Jett - don't know the width the LBS just threw it on for me since I couldn't stand the Serfas on the velodyne. I have had a bike fit for triathlon but am riding a modified road bike. My issue is those purple saddle sores right where my underwear runs in the crease of my leg. More towards the front of my leg than the rear. No matter which saddle I try, I get what feels like pinching then soreness and when I get off it looks like a blood blister sometimes it is oozing. This is after any length of riding. After reading multiple threads I think it could be seat shape. Or, maybe it is my shorts. I usually ride in PI shorts but I am trying to find a brand with a bit less padding. I never wear undies underneath and can barely wear them at all because it makes the sores slower to heal. No issues with my sit bones. I think they are pretty wide I need to measure. The wider nose on the Selle SMP made me get the sores on my inner thighs as well as in the crease. I don't know if these saddles are more T shaped or pear shaped. The Serfas was an excellent shape for the sores I just couldn't stand the girlie bits getting smashed. I definitely need a cutout. Thanks for any and all help - I look forward to the day when I can ride all day with no first aid needed!

OakLeaf
01-30-2009, 11:19 AM
There's no magic formula, you just look at the saddle and see whether it's shaped more like a T (relatively sharp transition from the *ss to the nose) or more like a pear (relatively gradual transition).

The Jett (and most of Specialized's line) is more T-shaped than most saddles out there. From what I could tell on Serfas' site, their tri saddles are too, but it's kind of hard to tell since they don't have a top view.

Definitely measure your sitbones. There's no way to know the distance between your sitbones from your other dimensions.

Serfas specs its women's tri saddle as 5.5" (140 mm) wide. Was it the women's saddle you had? Spec width on a saddle doesn't tell you everything, because some of them slope away from the center, so the effective width of the part that supports your sitbones can vary between two saddles with the same nominal width, but it's a place to start. Your Jett should have the size stamped on the nose.

I'm not a big fan of PI chamois and that seems to be the consensus around here. So yeah, trying some other shorts might be in order too. I try to match the size and shape of my chamois to my saddle.

Are you using lube? Lube shouldn't be your first line of defense against chafing, but it can definitely help, especially during the search for your perfect saddle.

Do you still have the Serfas saddle... did you try tilting the nose down just a bit?

Welcome, and HTH.

trimom
01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Using tons of lube. I have tried anything from Vaseline and Bag Balm to Butt Butter and Assois.

The Serfas saddle was the woman's tri model (07) longer in the nose, fairly slim and no cutout. I don't have it any more but I did move it up & down in very gradual amounts (I try to try everything before I give up on a saddle). I loved it when it had a fair amount of downward tilt but I ended up having to push myself up to stay on the seat because I kept slipping down.

My seat now (Jett) is at an -8 degree angle.

Any bike short recommends? I am slim in the waist but hippy (29/41) I have tried PI and Shebeast but am game for anything to get these sores to stop. I tend to do better with a thinner pad but not as thin as a tri short. The only thing I can buy locally is PI.

tulip
01-30-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't use any lube and never have, so this is just an idea...could the lube be contributing to or causing the problem by clogging up your pores?

ilima
01-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Right at the top of my thigh was where I had chafing. I decided that the nose of my Zero X was the problem and tried the Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour. And I've been happy as a clam ever since. I use the regular model, not the arrowhead with cut-outs.

VeloVT
01-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Not sure where to start with saddles... :D Knowing what width you need will make a big difference. Also -- are you riding saddles with cutouts? If so, is it possible that the cutout is causing some of the problems?

But as far as shorts are concerned, I love love love Castelli shorts. I have some of the less expensive ones with the Kiss chamois, which is quite thin and flexible, and I have a few pairs of their Visio shorts with the heavier-duty chamois (I think TE carries this short), which is great for any distance -- it's not really thicker than the Kiss chamois, just denser. I'm a big fan.

Lot of women here really like the Sugoi RS Flex short. It has a thinner chamois. I have a pair and while I love the short itself -- amazing fit and fabric -- I'm not actually nuts about the chamois, personally... I find it thicker than I need at the sitbones and a little thin and hard in front. But it's a very popular short here and worth a try.

Hmmm... what else... oh, the Terry Bella short has basically the same chamois as the Shebeest SSS short, but nicer fabric and a different cut with a nice non-elastic yoke in the front, so if you like Shebeest's "Shelastic" chamois, that's worth a try. Also, have you tried any of the Shebeest shorts with the smaller chamois, the "Hourglass" chamois? It may not be quite enough for longer rides, but it's quite comfortable and amazingly cushy for being so thin. I also have a pair of cheapish Descente shorts that I think might be designed for spinning (hmmm... I think they are called Nirvana or something like that -- no elastic in the legs or waist). I hardly ever wear them anymore because I have lots of nicer shorts, but whenever I do wear them I'm amazed at how comfy the chamois is.

FWIW, I do better with a pear-shaped saddle (narrow though -- I have wide hips and my waist-hip measurements are actually quite similar to yours, but it turns out my sitbones measure something like 125). You may indeed prefer a t-shaped seat, but I would caution you not to go in with preconceived notions about what you need based on what you read about other peoples' preferences. Everyone's different and you just have to do some trial and error unfortunately...

Good luck! Let us know what you end up getting!

Biciclista
01-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Are you sure you are set up properly ?
I have a saddle which I love, but when it was less than an inch too far (back? I can't remember) I ended up getting chafing in less than 10 miles.

You might try going to a bike shop and having them put you on a stand. your saddle could just be in the wrong place for your body.

OakLeaf
01-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Even though Terry and SheBeest use the same design chamois, they're sized differently. So, say, with similar size fabric, I get a smaller chamois in Terry shorts than in SheBeest.

Grog
01-31-2009, 04:42 PM
What an unpleasant place to be in. I hope you find your perfect combination soon.

Just a thing: are your shorts perhaps too big? I find that if the short is not really tight on me, the chamois bulks up and can cause discomfort or even saddle sores.

I have a pair of really expensive PI bib shorts and I hate them. Same for my Sugoi RS flex. On the other hand, I have MEC (Canada's REI) shorts that I LOVE. It's very much like the Satin short from TrashyCat. It's all so personal.

Good luck. Sorry not to have anything more useful to say.

ilima
01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Good point about the chamois. I've found that the thick chamois tend to be associated with chafing, and I sold my expensive cushy shorts on ebay. I now use mostly shorts from Zoot and DeSoto (tri shorts for rides <25 miles).

OakLeaf
02-01-2009, 04:14 AM
I hate to over-emphasize lubes, but it just seems like the ones you mentioned are the really sticky waxy-gummy ones (although I've never used Assos and not sure about that, the fact that it comes in a tub suggests it's pretty thick). Those never worked that well for me because they (1) mat the hair and (2) make a fabric-y chamois like PI stick to your crevices and chafe away.

I actually had the best success with Chamois Butt'r, but I stopped using it because of the paraben preservatives. Now I use Beljum Budder, which is a similar mayonnaise-like consistency.

VeloVT
02-01-2009, 10:11 AM
FWIW, I think Assos is actually lighter and slippier (less waxy) than Chamois Buttr. That's the major reason it's not my favorite lube -- it doesn't last nearly as long as some that are a little thicker and more waxy/gummy/emollient.

trimom
02-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all your insight and help.

My shorts are not super tight but the pad is pretty thick. I ride again tomorrow and will try my DH's Zoot shorts that have a thinner pad but not triathlon thin. I think this could be a bit part of the problem as my thighs are not thin and do rub on the seat :)

I have a pretty aggressive triathlon fit but even get sores when I am not in the aerobars. I think I will tweak my seat down a bit also like another degree. It is the most comfortable one I have had yet for my girlie parts - I so want it to work - sigh. I will also make sure that nothing has been shifted on my bike measurement wise.

I will let you know how it all pans out. Now I am on the prowl for some better shorts - thanks for suggesting some brands with thinner pads. You guys rock!!

tzvia
02-08-2009, 06:37 AM
I have found that the Specialized shorts are really nice; just enough padding, not laid on thick and lumpy like PI. They also have very soft material that feels good against the skin and they are cut in a way that matches my shape well. Price wise, they are also reasonable, in the $50 to $80 range. The PIs cut is annoying; they roll down my waist when I am in the drops (yea I'm overweight but am loosing it thank you bike.)

Chamois Butter (and similar products) are wonderful. Rub it on the areas that chafe the skin and it allows the material to slide instead of rubbing you raw. In the summer, it is also cool feeling. The stuff works.

If you can make the Jet work, great. I had one ride on the one that came with my Ruby and tossed it quick.