PDA

View Full Version : Stretching anyone?

cruziegirl
05-31-2005, 08:37 PM
So I started out flexibly-challenged and after biking for 10 years it's even worse. I finally started stretching about 3 years ago when I realized I was turning into the human equivalent of a clenched fist. I've taken up T'ai Chi and do hamstring stretches each time I come back from a ride but I'm never going to be Gumbie-woman. What does everyone else do to keep from seizing up entirely?

Tess851
05-31-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi there.

What I do to stop seizing up completely is keep moving! :) Yeah, stretching helps - quads, calves, hamstrings, ITB, hip flexors, lower back, upper back, chest, arms, neck and occasionally even ankles. Also, doing core body work throughout the year helps keep everything stable and strong.

Good sports massage helps too, and sometimes even a chiropractor or osteopath etc.

On a 'recovery' ride day, a ride with no effort helps unwind the muscles and get rid of lactic acid. Even a gentle, short 20-30 minute walk in a flat area is good.

hmm, what else? A hot bath in epsom salts is good, and making sure my diet has adequate basic muscle helpers - calcium, potassium and magnesium, really helps everything stay in check.

And to stretch the mind every now and then, do a different ride - go exploring, ride with a new group, set a new goal etc.

loni0908k
06-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Have you tried Yoga or Pilates? I take both at my gym (classes are free to members), and that helps tremendously! It teaches a lot of beneficial moves to do even on a short sag stop that can help take some pressure off certain areas. It might be worth a try (plus it's challenging and a lot of fun)!

bikerchick68
06-01-2005, 02:56 PM
funny you should ask... I NEVER stretched before... but am working thru an IT Band issue and went to John Howard... he put me on a stretching and strength training routine... and yep, it's working! Knee is feeling better and rides are getting stronger... I'm completely convinced now of the importance of stretching!

bluezfire
06-02-2005, 03:40 AM
Since I started cycling regularly, I have noticed that I tend to get tight in a lot of places; hip flexors, hamstrings, lower back, IT band. My hip flexors, however, take the brunt of my stiffness.

I must echo what loni0908k said about yoga and pilates. My gym offers a class called BodyFlow (http://lesmillsusa.com/site/programs/bodyflow-group-fitness-program.aspx), which is a wonderful combination of Tai Chi, Yoga, and Pilates. I've been doing it for almost two years now and have noticed a significant difference in my flexibility. Since beginning cycling a little over a year ago, I have noticed that if I do *not* do BodyFlow on a regular basis, my hip flexors (and other body parts mentioned above) suffer the consequences. I'm definitely a firm believer in stretching and flexibility training. To me, it makes a WORLD of difference in everything I do.

RoadRaven
06-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Cruzie, I do Tai Chi too... I find it a great way to keep flexible (well as flexible as I can at my age!)

There is quite a bit of writing "out there" that stressses the importance of a cool down routine as much as a warm up - do any of you "cool down"? I tend to do it on the bike after a hard ride - very slow and low resistence for a few kms. I also warm up on the bike - between 2kms and 10kms... depending on how hard I intend to ride that day.

I have a great stretch tape which gives a full work out for the whole body - about 5o minutes worth. I try and do that once a week.

cruziegirl
06-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Cruzie, I do Tai Chi too... I find it a great way to keep flexible (well as flexible as I can at my age!)

There is quite a bit of writing "out there" that stressses the importance of a cool down routine as much as a warm up - do any of you "cool down"? I tend to do it on the bike after a hard ride - very slow and low resistence for a few kms. I also warm up on the bike - between 2kms and 10kms... depending on how hard I intend to ride that day.

I have a great stretch tape which gives a full work out for the whole body - about 5o minutes worth. I try and do that once a week.
I guess it's that "age thing" that bugs me. I'm 52 and I don't have any problem with that except for this whole stiffening up business. The T'ai Chi really helps a lot - not only physically but mentally. I just want to do whatever it takes to stay on my bike until I'm like 80+ or something! Dylan Thomas said, "Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light." I think I'm going to adopt that as my motto!

oroight
06-14-2005, 04:46 AM
Hi cruziegirl, l was firmly reminded that as we spend a lot of time on the bike,we must absolutely stretch (just as Tess851 said hip flexors ,glutes,periformus,hammy,ITB) or l would end up in a curled foetal position :eek: But after ride l do eat to replace glycogen in muscles first ,then l can stretch properly. Just how many times do those poor hip flexors pump per 3hr ride,, you gotta undo it all!!!!!! :)