PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Springs Cycling

kfergos
01-27-2009, 04:40 AM
Hi all you Colorado Springs cyclists,

My husband is seriously pursuing a job in Colorado Springs. This would be a major move for us -- from 20 miles outside of Boston to the Rocky Mountains. I'd like to hear what it's like living and, most especially, riding in Colorado Springs. I'm a year-round commuter, but I'll be honest...I'm getting pretty tired of temps in the teens/single-digits and snow dumps at least once a week. What's the weather like there, especially in the winter?

Thanks for your input! I hear it's a lovely place to live, but I'm interested to hear from people who actually live there.

Thanks!

Imperfectstorm
04-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Losts of Sun, good biking and skiing, moderate winters,interesting down town. Wages are low, cost of living moderate, roads congested,not very cosmopolitan, west coast sea food, lack of oxygen.

Kimmyt
04-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi kfergos, my fiance was out in the springs for about a year and I really liked it out there. It is not a big city whatsoever, but it has a cool vibe. Lots of great outdoor areas in the vicinity, in fact if we had industry down there I would love to move back!

It's rather arid which means winters can be mild but you still get the occasional storm, and there are alot of religious folk out there. It doesn't have as much attitude as Denver/Boulder, which is nice.

Co Springs is much more arid than the area around Denver/Boulder which are a bit greener. But it's not a far drive to the mountains and you can do it on back roads so you don't hit the I-70 traffic. It's actually a rather nice little drive through ranchland.

solobiker
04-21-2009, 06:29 PM
The springs tends to be more conservative then Denver or Boulder (besides being religous it also has the arm base down there) You will have to drive a little further to get to the majority of the ski areas. The nice thing, as stated above you won't have to deal with I 70. Their rush hour is also a little earlier then Denver. Also re: The Springs it is easier to live in the foothills and commute to town more easily then in the Denver area.

Good Luck

out_spokin'
04-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Hey kfergos,
Is the Springs still an option? Somehow I missed this earlier...I've lived in CO since 1991, with just about 10 in Colorado Springs, going on another anniversary coming up here... Grew up in CT. So I've got a lot of opinions about the switch from NE to C.S. PM me and/or jump back in the thread!

Bottom line - the Springs is FANTASTIC for riding. Even in winter -- I was the one who started the Fall/Winter commute thread and probably had the easiest time of it. Lots more details if you want 'em.