PDA

View Full Version : Five Boro Bike Tour?

bluebug32
01-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Every year I consider doing this since the city is less than 2 hours away. Anyone done it or heard good/bad things about it? Need to register early.

tulip
01-25-2009, 05:41 AM
I can't do it this year, but I hope to next year. I have a friend who did it a few years ago and had a good time. It's definitely on my list.

Becky
01-25-2009, 08:11 AM
DH and I did it a few years ago, along with his dad and brothers. It's a neat ride, but it's also very popular and crowded. Go with a laid-back, "stop and go" mindset, especially at the start, because the congestion makes it difficult to steadily cruise along. I recommend sneakers and flats, or mtb shoes and pedals.

We actually didn't get to do the whole route, because we were too far back in the field, and got diverted to a cut-off. If I were going again, I'd aim to be up front as much as possible.

Have fun!

tulip
01-25-2009, 08:27 AM
A similar ride in DC is the 50 States Ride. It's unsupported, on-your-own ride with cue sheets and lots of people on bikes. If you complete it, you ride on every state avenue in DC. I made it about half way through a few years ago before I had to peel off for a music lesson. Lots of fun and a great way to explore the city.

ny biker
01-26-2009, 01:04 PM
I did this ride back in 2003. It was crowded but I enjoyed it.