PDA

View Full Version : Heath Ledger

TryToKeepUp
01-21-2009, 11:43 AM
I saw the golden globes and the dark knight director who accepted heath’s award kept going on and on about the amazing film history he had. Maybe I’m drawing a blank here, but what other “quality” films has he even been in besides dark knight? The only movie of his besides that that I ever think of is ten things I hate about you. Yeah, not a great film.

badger
01-21-2009, 12:01 PM
he was rather awesome in Brokeback Mountain. He was also in the Knight's Tale. I wasn't a fan of his so I'm not sure what else he was in, but I do have a nugget of gossip.

A friend of mine volunteers at the local animal emergency clinic. One day about 5 years ago, Heath and his then-girlfriend Naomi Watts came in with their little Yorkie. Apparently the Yorkie got into their stash of "herbs" ;) My friend said they were both very nice.

Kalidurga
01-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Monster's Ball. I've yet to see the entire movie, but what I have seen was heartbreaking. And even when the film hasn't been quality, Ledger's performances have been very natural. The guy definitely had talent. Losing him is like losing James Dean was decades ago. I get chills watching him in The Dark Knight, just thinking about what he could have gone on to do.

And I have to admit I'm a fan of Ten Things I Hate About You. One and only teen flick I can say that about.

xeney
01-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Oh, I love Ten Things I Hate About You, and as I recall it got good reviews. Nothing to be ashamed of with that one!

tulip
01-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Monster's Ball was is a great film, and he's wonderful in it. Of course, Brokeback Mountain is magical. Didn't see Dark Knight.

Red Rock
01-21-2009, 05:32 PM
He was in The Patriot with Mel Gibson. Nothing like having two hunks together in the same movie:D

Red Rock

Trekhawk
01-22-2009, 02:36 AM
I saw the golden globes and the dark knight director who accepted heath’s award kept going on and on about the amazing film history he had. Maybe I’m drawing a blank here, but what other “quality” films has he even been in besides dark knight? The only movie of his besides that that I ever think of is ten things I hate about you. Yeah, not a great film.

Two Hands, Ned Kelly and I'm not there are a few other that jump to mind.
He did a lot of Aussie films before moving to the USA.

Kalidurga
01-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Didn't see Dark Knight.

Without Ledger, Dark Knight would have been a really good comic book/action movie. With him, it's a really awesome comic book/action movie. I've watched it a few times now and am still blown away by the character he created. So much thought went into the voice and all of the mannerisms, but you never see him thinking about it. He just becomes the character.

Tweet
01-22-2009, 07:17 AM
I think Brokeback Mountain and The Dark Knight were definitely Heath Ledger's best movies.

ReadMyMind
01-22-2009, 12:59 PM
I think the only other “quality” one he was in was brokeback mountain. Which, to be honest was a tad bit overrated. I’d watch Philadelphia over that any day.

divadump
01-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah Philadelphia is good. This actually looks legitimately good too, similar subject matter (a good friend of mine just came out to us all so it kind of hits home) it’s a true story about this kid whose mom rejects him for being gay and he ends up committing suicide. She realizes how it was all her fault and then became one of the most well known gay activists figures in the US: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vAfBXW1e6U

RoadRaven
01-26-2009, 12:56 AM
I agree with ReadMyMind that Brokeback was over-rated.

Knights Tale is a great movie - my 14 yr old watched it again this afternoon!

Kalidurga
01-26-2009, 02:43 AM
Honestly, and this probably makes me sound like a fan-girl, I think that Brokeback and Knight's Tale are like Dark Knight and 10 Things I Hate-- With any other actor in those roles, they'd just be good movies. Ledger's performances are what elevated them (especially Knight's Tale, imo) and made them worth watching.