PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Through the Pines - Bastrop

alpha_omega
01-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Has anyone ridden in or planning on riding in the Pedal Through the Pines (pedalthrupines.org)?

I'd really like to do it this year as the Bastrop area is one of my favorite places to ride in Texas. It's one of the recommended training rides for the Houston - Austin MS150 and overlaps the toughest and hilliest part of the course.

For those who might have attempted it before, is the metric century much tougher than the 50 miler? Did you think the ride was worth it, or are there better rides to prep for the MS150?

Thanks in advance.

Aggie_Ama
01-12-2009, 04:56 AM
I have not done this ride but I have rode the park alone and as part of the MS150. The park is great but here is the one thing to prepare yourself for- cattle guards and narrow climbs. It is beautiful and the MS150 covers the cattle guards but I do not know if the Pedal does. The roads are narrow and a few grades pretty steep. I would still do this ride and it is on my radar but I think DH might be racing that weekend so I can't do it. :rolleyes: BTW- when you get to the MS do the park or else you are just cheating yourself from the prettiest part of the ride!

To prep for the MS150 I also like the Tri County Hillhopper. It just rolls and rolls and when you think it is done rolls some more. It is really a good kick in the pants to start your training. I have done the longest distance both times I did the MS150 and it really showed me I needed to ride more. I also like the Rosedale Ride for practice in wind and the ride in Huntsville (Sam Houston Pedalfest- I think is the name) is really nice scenery and some rollers to challenge you.

alpha_omega
01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks so much, that's exactly the info I've been looking for.

With my work schedule finally being less erratic I'm finally looking forward to getting some group rides in. I've been a solo rider so far. I'm signed up for the Houston and Dallas MS 150's so hopefully I'll be able to do both along with at least one charity ride a month. At least that's my goal . :rolleyes:

Aggie_Ama
01-13-2009, 04:12 AM
There is a site out of Plano that allows user reviews of all the rides, www.bicycle-stuff.com it might help get some opinions on rides. I take it all with a grain of salt because a lot of rides reviewed horribly I did the same year and enjoyed or vise versa. :)