PDA

View Full Version : Trek Announces Women Who Ride Contest

jobob
01-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Contest website:
http://www.trekbikes.com/women/women_who_ride/contest/

Press release (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Trek-Announces-Women-Who-Ride-iw-14018470.html):
Friday January 9, 2009

WATERLOO, WI--(MARKET WIRE)--Jan 9, 2009 -- Trek Bicycle has today announced the 2009 Women Who Ride Contest -- the search for five women to represent the Trek Women cycling community by blogging about their life as a cyclist, a woman, and a member of the larger community of cyclists. The contest, which runs until January 24, 2009, asks each entrant to write a 500-word essay describing why they ride and the importance a bicycle plays in their life. From those entries, Trek Women will select five women to become Women Who Ride -- one woman to represent each of the categories of mountain, road, triathlon, bike path, and urban.

"We started our Women Who Ride program back in 2006 with a simple contest that we ran for just two weeks," said Trek's Women's Brand Manager, Krista Rettig. "The response was phenomenal. We ended up with 2,400 applicants and a whole new perspective on how women use our bikes. The original five women have been so inspirational, we knew that as their blogging commitments to Trek Women came to an end, we had to find five new women to fill their shoes."

"The Women Who Ride program has helped me combine my talents as a cyclist, mother, performer and writer, and showed me that I can make a difference just by being me," noted Susan Mele, one of the original Women Who Ride bloggers. "It's helped me set goals for myself and realize my potential as a woman and an athlete. It has allowed me to become a female bike advocate and touch and inspire the lives of women in a way I never thought I could."

In return for sharing their personal experiences via their blogs, each of the five Women Who Ride ambassadors will receive a brand new Trek Women's Specific Design (WSD) bike that fits their riding style, Trek cycling gear that's specifically made for women, and fitness, training, and maintenance tips from Trek's cycling experts. The 2009 Women Who Ride will serve as WSD ambassadors from April 30, 2009 to May 1, 2010.