PDA

View Full Version : Parents here = eating out and imflamation arrgh!

Red Rock
12-27-2008, 07:02 PM
My dad is currently visiting for the Hoildays. When he is here we always end up eating out all the time. :( As it is, when I eat out I always go for the best healhty option if something like that exisits. Anyway, my intestines become so bloated/inflamed it is no longer fun anymore.:o

Does anyone know of good treatments to help ease inflamation? I already do green tea, I've downed a tablespoon of flaxseed, so I have to wait on that to pass through. I can't wait to eat my own food again!!

Thanks for listening.

Red Rock

bmccasland
12-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Good quality yogurt. A cup a day, add some of your flax seed or some wheat germ - crunchies on top. ;) Look for a yogurt that lists the cultures by name, not just "active cultures".

Make a yogurt smoothie - berries from the freezer, 1/2 a banana, cup of good yogurt, blend.

The yogurt is about the only thing that saves me from myself after eating out alot.

Are you eating in restaurants where the chef might be willing to saute you a piece of fish in olive oil? Something really simple / basic? Pasta primerva?

When does Dear-old-Dad leave?

Ginger ale or ginger tea might also help.

Red Rock
12-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Thankyou for your inputs here. Maybe we are all suffering somewhat. It is nice to know I am not alone here on this one.

bmccasland-I have been making sure I have my "normal" yougurt cup which has been about 4 oz. I usually have wheat germ, almonds and all on my oatmeal when I make it myself. I guess now I have to just do that into a smoothie so its liquid.

Word is he might be going on Tuesday. Sunday night the restaurants are closed so we are in control that night (horray!). DH is making dinner that night for us.

I have never asked in a restaurant to change or modify the menu a whole lot. After watching Bob and Jillian from the Biggest Loser, I am gainning tips from them as far as that goes. I have never been that daring.

Thankyou for your help.

Red Rock

bmccasland
12-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Red Rock - If you're in a nice restaurant, one with a CHEF and not a cook - tell the waiter that you're on a special diet, and would it be possible for the chef to please saute you a piece of fish in olive oil, with some steamed veggies on the side? It's worth a try. There are plenty of people on restricted diets that travel on business, so you might pull it off.

Enjoy your home cooked meal in the mean time. :)

You're not eating the full portion right? Most restaurants serve way too much food, so draw a line down the middle, eat half, and ask for a take-away box for the rest. Or leave it. No one says you have to clean your plate.

Blueberry
12-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Oh - I can totally sympathize. I ate ONE meal prepared by my family, and my digestive system has been off ever since:( Tasty food, but it sure makes me feel icky.

Ginger/Honey tea helps some. As does peppermint/chamomile tea. How 'bout ordering a vegetarian dish? Something with lots and lots of veggies?

CA

OakLeaf
12-28-2008, 04:44 AM
I can usually do pretty well eating out if I have the self restraint ;)

A non-fried non-dairy protein appetizer plus a steamed or sauteed vegetable side is plenty for a meal. Shrimp cocktail, ceviche, seared beef (if you're vegetarian though, protein appetizers can be hard to find, but some restaurants have vegetarian bean salads or sides, or just a veggie plate).

If you have someone else you can share small plates with, you can do really well. Even if the restaurant doesn't have a tapas menu per se, a selection of salads and appetizers shared between two to four people can be great. Even the best restaurants usually put more effort into appetizers than they do into the entrees. (and desserts... primacy and recency ;)... but after a few consecutive days eating out even I can resist desserts)

Definitely avoid dairy and wheat - even if you can tolerate them most of the time, most American adults have some degree of sensitivity, and when you go overboard like most of us do this time of year, you will notice it. Probiotics are a good idea, but make it non-dairy for the time being - soy yogurt, UNpasteurized sauerkraut (a new year's tradition anyway), miso soup, Bragg's cider vinegar, etc.

I feel your pain though. I think most people have had our fill by now of the five basic food groups (sugar, salt, starch, grease and alcohol). New Year's will be past soon enough.

Flybye
12-28-2008, 05:17 AM
One word - Pepcid.

Available over the counter and in generic.

Priolosec is great, too, but is more expensive.

Hope that helps. Food other than the customary kills me, too.

mudmucker
12-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Store bought ginger tea, ginger in a tincture, or in some cases I mince fresh raw ginger and put it in a tea ball and steep it in hot water. This does wonders for me when I have either intestinal distress or naseau.

Red Rock
12-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Thankyou for all of your help here. I am counting the days to a normal meal. Perhaps this is why I don't like this time of year. Hang in there everyone. May your digestive systems make it until the first week in January!

Red Rock

malkin
12-28-2008, 01:40 PM
nutritiondata.com has information on how inflammatory different foods are.