PDA

View Full Version : BOB Trailer Concerns

annie
05-25-2005, 08:29 PM
I wasn't quite sure where to post this....... so opted for here. :)

Have many of you ever used a BOB trailer to carry gear? I am trying it out. I am thinking I like it - but had a bit of shimmy on a downhill last weekend. The trailer started swaying and I had to slow down to get it under control. I was traveling at about 35 mph. Since then, I've tried it 25 - 30 mph and it's been fine. Now I am afraid to let it go at a higher speed but we've got some steep hills around here and I like to go fast, BOB or not. So I my question is : Am I doing something wrong with weight distribution? Do I not have the BOB connected correctly? Or is this something inherent with a trailer and I have to learn to deal with it and brake prudently on downhills? Any advice from BOB (or other trailer) users would be appreciated! Thanks!

annie

Technotart
05-26-2005, 02:50 AM
In any trailer on any tow vehicle (Bicycle or car) you always want the heaviest items as low as possible and at the front.

For instance in a U-Haul - you would put the refrigerator in the part closest to the car, in the center, on the floor.

You may need to add a little weight at the front with a couple of rocks or something if all you are towing is a sleeping bag or lightweight gear. It sounds crazy, but it will keep the trailer from "fishtailing" at higher speeds.

singletrackmind
05-26-2005, 04:02 AM
I love bob! The only time I really notice it back there is on grocery day when it's got 40# in it. Bob's bike commuted with me, carted various junk around and he's been on trails, too.
I'm trying to remember if there was a getting used to part, but I don't recall any problem there, just that the more weight you have the more noticable he is. I did only run him on the mountain bike because the skewer didn't work with the road bike-maybe that's where the difference is? Yeah, that might be it, getting up over 30 on the MTB around here can be difficult. :)

annie
05-26-2005, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the advice, ladies! I will try loading heavier stuff towards the front. I don't know about adding rocks, tho I've had friends sneak bricks into my bag to make it heavier and slow me down.......... some friends! ;) I can put my bike tools, extra gatorade or water, heavier stuff like that in the front. I'll try it soon and see how it works. I did NOT like the fishtailing! It felt like I didn't have control.

Singletrack - I had to have my skewer cut down to fit on the road bike. Works beautifully now. I'm getting another skewer, this one to leave uncut, for use on the mtb.

BOB's turning into quite a useful trailer! I take him to work with me most days now. Easy to haul whatever I need with me. I just keep the camping stuff in there for storage and so that I get accustomed to pulling the weight. On the flats, you hardly even notice anything is back there. Definitely notice on uphills. And there's no quick starts, no sprinting. Still, it's nice to have the ability to carry all sorts of stuff. I definitely like it.

annie