PDA

View Full Version : Crock Pot question

7rider
12-20-2008, 05:27 AM
Hey there.
If a hot dip recipe says "bake in a 350 oven for 15 minutes" - can you make that same recipe in a crockpot (heating, say, for a couple of hours), or should you heat in the oven and then transfer to a crockpot on warm to keep it warm? I'm pondering a hot crab dip for Christmas Eve, but all the recipes call for heating in an oven. We're taking appetizers to my mom - who is in a group rehab home - and I want some way to ensure it stays warm.
Thanks!

Zen
12-20-2008, 06:11 AM
Why not use a recipe that's specifically for a crock pot (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS299US300&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=crock+pot+crab+dip&spell=1)?

sundial
12-20-2008, 06:25 AM
7Rider, you can convert some recipes to crock pot cooking but keep in mind that the consistency of the dip may change. Also, you will not have a browned, crusty top. On the plus side, your dip will always be warm. :)

7rider
12-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Why not use a recipe that's specifically for a crock pot (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS299US300&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=crock+pot+crab+dip&spell=1)?

Cuz when I did a search on "Crock Pot crab dip" I didn't find anything I liked (I like simple), or that actually used a crock pot. :rolleyes:
But thanks for the link...because your search turned up some different results vs. mine. :confused:

Yeah, Sundial....I'm debating losing that crusty top thing, too. Hmmm...come to think of it...I may have a warming tray in the basement......

Zen
12-20-2008, 06:48 AM
I was kinda thinking that too. I have a picture in my head of something covered with a cheddar cheese crust....

How far do you have to transport this culinary temptation?
Now I'm thinking just bundle it up and carry it in a cooler.

BleeckerSt_Girl
12-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't try the same recipe in a crock pot and expect it to come out right. The consistency will be likely disappointing.

Also, nothing will really 'cook' with 2 hours in a crock pot. Crock pots work best over longer time periods.

I've had luck in making hot dishes then wrapping them in tin foil and then a couple of thick towels top and bottom...and into a shopping bag. Keeps them warm for several hours. They also now sell insulated shopping bags and zip-over covers that keep casseroles hot or cold- check your supermarket- mine sells them both large and small. Obviously other large stores may carry them too.

But you've inspired me- I'm going into the kitchen right now to start some veggie soup in my crockpot so it'll be ready tonight! :D

Jones
12-20-2008, 11:32 AM
I put the fresh cooked items (hot pan) into a large roasting pan with lid then put the pan in a cooler and fill all the dead space with towels. This will keep a turkey piping hot also moist and delicious for at least 5 hours.