PDA

View Full Version : Seek shelter

MomOnBike
05-25-2005, 06:43 AM
My DH sent me some pics of midwestern weather. Evidently, these clouds produced some world-class hail near Hastings, NE - west of here, near the middle of the state. Come to think of it, Hastings had some pretty significant flooding in early May, too.

Anyway, the link:

http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/june2004hastings-mammatus.html

If you see clouds like that, do yourself a favor and get you and your bike under a sturdy roof. You'll be glad you did.

Barb
05-25-2005, 06:50 AM
Whoa those pics are awesome!

nuthatch
05-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Those are unreal! I've never seen anything like them! :eek:

CorsairMac
05-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Those don't even look like clouds - they look like rows of whipped cream. What amazing photos!

MomOnBike
05-25-2005, 01:23 PM
I have seen clouds like that only once. I think I have the pictures, but I probably couldn't produce them on a dare. "My" clouds weren't as big or as well formed as that, but they were a sickly green color. Shortly after we noticed them, we had to take shelter because of the hail.

I think the clouds I linked to were the ones that produced softball sized hail. :eek:

As I said, if you are under clouds like that, seek shelter. (in her best motherly voice)

BTW, I posted that, went out for a quick ride, and got soaked in a spring shower. My weather luck is not good this year.

bikerchick68
05-25-2005, 02:09 PM
wow those are amazing pics... I lived in OK as a kid and spent more than enough time underground in the tornado shelter... yep, clouds like that are pretty only for a brief time! :eek:

Biking Chick
05-26-2005, 05:30 AM
I'll bet those are the same cloud formations Dorothy & Toto saw right before they lifted off on their adventure ...

Jo-n-NY
05-26-2005, 09:48 AM
Those are truely amazing. Pretty and scary at the same time. Thanks for sharing.

~ JoAnn

RoadRaven
05-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Great pix... but the reason I am posting is that I never realised that there was a Hastings in the USA too! I knew about England, but not America
I grew up in Hastings... but here in NZ!