PDA

View Full Version : A Little Inspiration for Us New AND Plus-Size Riders

Satori78
05-24-2005, 12:10 PM
I stumbled across this on Google and though I'd post it here.

http://www.caree.org/bike101plussize.htm

I read this thinking, yes, I can get up to the distances I want to be able to go and at least start to keep up with distance-wise (not necessarily keep pace with speed-wise) my more bike experienced SO and I don't have to get down to skin and bones before I can do it.

Can I please leave work now so I can go bike :D ?

KSH
05-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Very cool!

I would like to say that I am not a plus-sized woman... BUT MANY plus-sized men and women kick my butt on the bike everytime I go ride!

Thin does not = a good cyclist.... and plus-sized does not = a slow cyclist!

Size means nothing in this sport!

Pedal Wench
05-24-2005, 05:42 PM
That's a great article. The clothing issue is getting me upset. It's hard enough to find women's clothing - the LBS's here have pathetically small selections. It must be very hard to find plus sizes. At least there are great online sources.

I have to agree with KSH - size has nothing to do with ability on a bike - it's like the great equalizer. I get passed by everyone - all sizes regularly blow me away!

Trek420
05-24-2005, 05:53 PM
I've always liked the link on that site to the documentary:

http://www.virago-productions.com/wellrounded/

CorsairMac
05-24-2005, 08:00 PM
I loved the inspirational messages on the pixs to the documentery and I LOVED the signature line on the first link. My ex thought female body builders and skinny fitness fanatics were good-looking and I did everything I could to look like one of them. It's taken me close to 6 yrs to realize A) I can't and B) ya either accept me as I am or ya don't....either way it ain't my problem! (and C) yet another reason he's an ex! ;) ) I say: good on anyone whos out there exercising and double good on ya if you're riding a bike in lycra coz you're just screaming self-confidence! :)

bikerchick68
05-25-2005, 02:15 PM
that is a great article! so very true... I'm not plus size now but neither am I "skinny" by todays standards... pretty avg at a size 10-12... I have completed 3 centuries this year and overall am happy with my appearance and ecstatic with my fitness!

You do NOT have to look like a magazine ad to look amazing... that can happen at ANY weight!!!

Trek420
05-25-2005, 06:14 PM
It happens only rarely, and hardly ever on hills but I do so love passing skinny younger riders. Nooooooo, I'm not competitive, not me ;-)

I love the quote in the documentary where the personal trainer says something like "you see that woman over there (points to skinny lycra clad gym bunny) she can't press half what you can"

I'm down from size 20 (with elastic) jeans to 16's but that doesn't matter to me. I just like feeling strong.

Biking Chick
05-26-2005, 05:38 AM
I love it when I read or hear of another women discovering her passion and making peace with herself. Thanks for sharing the link - I've all ready forwarded it to a number of my friends.