PDA

View Full Version : KCCX Anyone?

Andrea
12-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Is anyone going to Kansas City this weekend for natz? I'm going to cheer on the S.O. in masters 30-34 and to race singlespeed. I'm so happy that the weather will be nicer this year than last!

Anyone else going to race/watch/heckle/etc?

SheFly
12-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Have fun!

We won't be there, but I will have loads of teammates racing in various categories, a couple of the women have good shots at titles (including current national champs in 65+ and Junior 13-14). Should be exciting.

SheFly

TrekJeni
12-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Nope - I started a new career in February and am I'm all out of vacation time. Boo Hoo

Actually, I went into the hole with vacation! Ended up taking two unpaid days. But it was either that or not go to Interbike the year, and that wasn't happening.

Sounds like Nati's will be in Bend, Or the next two years and then it heads to the east. We've briefly talked about going next year but just briefly...

Jeni

SheFly
12-11-2008, 05:03 AM
Sounds like Nati's will be in Bend, Or the next two years and then it heads to the east. We've briefly talked about going next year but just briefly...

Jeni

Hey Jeni - Have you seen this posted somewhere? Last I heard, Kansas was trying to get them again...

SheFly

wavedancer
12-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Looks like Voodoo Sally had a good race in the B Women's open: 8th in a field of 28! I heard the course was "slippery as snot" from one of my club friends who raced in the men's masters. Hopefully we will get a race report from Sally whe she gets back. Congrats, Sally!

TrekJeni
12-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Hey Jeni - Have you seen this posted somewhere? Last I heard, Kansas was trying to get them again...

SheFly

Hmmm, it went around the OVCX google group Thursday but I can't seem to find any collaberating sources. Would be cool if it stayed in KC though. If it doesn't, I think we're going to head to Jingle Cross in 09 as we won't be able to swing the extra vacation days that Oregon would take.

The Ohio Valley has done well so far at Nati's!

Voodoo Sally
01-16-2009, 11:30 AM
As I'm reading this a month later . . .

Thanks for the congrats! I had a good race in the 3/4 (called Women's B) race and got 9th out of 31. That was the first race of the entire nationals and it was at 9:00, while it was still very cold and the course was icy and snowy. By that afternoon the course had turned to sticky mud, and at mid-day the next day, it was deep sticky mud. It started to dry up after that. My second race was the championship race for Masters Women 40-44. I had a fun and fast start, but then I just got shellacked. I spent the next 45 minutes watching as one lady after another cruised up behind me and passed me. My gears stopped working half way through, too, so that didn't help. I spun hopelessly on the paved section. I got 15th out of 19. The course was all on the side of a hill, like at a ski area, so you had to go up up up for half the course. It was pretty killer in that respect. But technically the course was easy. What you saw the whole time was a path of grass (or mud) in front of you. No wooded sections, singletrack, or other variety of course features. I managed to handle the icy or muddy corners fine and didn't wipe out.

I put the wrong numbers on for my first race. Oh no! I told the official right before the start and he solved the problem, thank goodness.

The bike wash had a line of 40 for most of Thu. and Fri. There were volunteers dedicated to the task with power sprayers.

DH was behind a crash after his start on Thu. He jammed on the brakes and headed straight for the pile. Out of control, his bike came to a stop just as his front tire touched a downed bike. Then he rode away safely. Happy to have not crashed on the pavement, but mad about the botched start.

Would you believe that on Friday, I put the wrong #s on DH! How could I do that 2 days in a row? That same official saved the day right before the start. Thank you nice and calm race official. And to DH for not cutting my head off right then and there.

Andrea
01-19-2009, 04:53 AM
Nice job in the B race! I got pulled just before the bell lap in the SS race. The only other woman racing in it actually kicked some butt and was at least halfway up in the results (she went on to do well in the women's elite race later in the day, too). I really liked the hill on the course- I found that I'd advance/hold position on that section, but then lose time on the chicanes (more technical) on the way down the hill.

P.S. Hint- Next time you get a handful of numbers, don't walk away from the registration desk without writing your name & which race the number is for on the back of each one!

Eden
01-19-2009, 09:04 AM
I didn't race any cross this year, but two of my teammates went to nationals and did quite well, 2nd and 5th in their age categories (50+ and 35+). Both are off to worlds!