PDA

View Full Version : saddle help for "full" girly bits

vness
12-09-2008, 06:22 AM
hi all.. sorry for the specificity of the title but I figured it would help gather those with the same problem

I'm coming back to my road bike after a very long layoff.. 5-6 years when I last counted... YIKES!!! I know it isn't going to be easy and I am worried enough about going through the hell of building up my aerobic endurance (being the weak link again... sigh!) but I am totally dreading the saddle issue! I had a LOT of problems with saddles... from cysts to chafing to sores.

I'm only 5'1" and fairly small (even with all the extra body fat I'm carrying, I'm still a size 1-5) but I do have "full" girly bits (btw, I love that term :) so I need a saddle with a fairly narrow nose but with a large cut out.

I really like the fact that Specialized allows you to order specific widths but I I've tried taking my sit bone measurement and get #'s between 4.5 & 5.5 so I am unsure whether to get 130mm or 143mm.

Looking at the styles, it seems the Alias & Lithia have the most generous openings and I can't find the Jett listed on their site, as it looked good as well... has it been renamed something else or just discontinued?

I know that saddles are a totally personal preference but that being said, it makes sense that those of us with padding in the front are probably having a harder time than those without. One can tell a lot about a woman's anatomy just by looking at her saddle (if men only knew! LOL)

I've also wondered about the Allay by Topeak as well as the Selle SMP's but the price of them are daunting

any help from would be appreciated. I know there are a lot of threads out there... that was why I wanted to specify my particular problem... small but full LOL

thanks
namaste,
vness

OakLeaf
12-09-2008, 06:37 AM
I have wide sitbones, but like you I also need a narrow nose and a generous cutout. I've done reasonably well with a Specialized Lithia, but it is still rather squishy (not so good on the soft parts) and I've pretty much made up my mind to go with a Jett next time.

I don't know why you couldn't find the Jett on the website, it's there (http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=42065&eid=348).

As far as the width, Specialized dealers should let you try a saddle and return it within 30 days if it doesn't work for you (you can do that on the website, and I've used that info to strongarm a reluctant LBS - although I was VERY careful with the saddle while I was deciding, and eventually decided to keep it). Still, try making a paper butt-print the way I've described in other threads, and lay it over the saddles you think you may want - that was very useful for me.

alpinerabbit
12-09-2008, 07:21 AM
SMP. find a tryout program. Search in the existing SMP saddle threads.

Thorn
12-09-2008, 09:21 AM
SMP vote here. But, don't discount saddles without a cutout and don't automatically count in saddles with a cutout. Some cutouts are very narrow and like to pinch some (e.g., Terry's, particularly when they get older); other saddles don't have a cutout, but have a generous depression (e.g., the old Avocet O2) that may work well.

Bluetree
12-09-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm short (5-1) and pretty narrow (32" hips at the widest part) and still need a generous cutout. I ride a 130mm Selle Italias on my bike (the gel-something and the kit carbonio). Selle Italias have pretty narrow noses, which I like a lot.

On my race bike:
http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/images/selle_slc_gelflow.jpg

On my century bike:
http://www.excelsports.com/image/Selle%20Italia%20SLR%20XP%20Gel%20Flow.jpg

Andrea
12-10-2008, 09:07 AM
I've been blessed with the same "fullness" that you describe. I have found that the most comfortable thing for my soft tissue is an SMP. I ride a Lite 209 now, but you could probably go with something like the Glider, which is a tiny bit narrower. Don't be put off by the price, because if you get one and like it, then it's worth every penny. If you get one and hate it, then you're OK, because the EBAY resale on them is great, so you won't take a big loss on getting rid of it.

All other cutouts are just OK to me- they'll cause some numbness if I don't stand up every now and then.
Anything without a cutout (or at least some sort of channel)? Holy walnuts... they hurt like all getout!

vness
12-10-2008, 09:35 AM
first off, Thank you so much for replying

Oakleaf: thanks for the link to the Jett.. I don't know why but Specialized's search engine wouldn't bring it up. I'll do a search your method of measuring my sitbones and check my LBS.

alpinerabbit: I'll definitely do a search for a tryout program... is there any SMP saddle in particular you think might work best to start with?

Thorn: you're right about the cutouts as their edges often do just as much damage but I'd need a very generous depression... it's why I was looking at the Topeak Allay.

Bluetree: Thanks for the photos... do you know what the width of your sitbones are?

Andrea: Thanks for the info on the SMP's and for admitting your "fullness" (plus I love that you said "blessed" :) I used to be self-conscious about it. I'll look into the Glider. Did you have to get used to the saddle? It does look 'different'.

You've all been great... I'm so grateful for this forum. Coming back after so long is going to be a nightmare though I'm more excited - just can't wait to get over that dreaded hump of getting 'some' condition back into my legs and lungs. I've missed riding a LOT!

I'm still waiting for my bike to be put together.... just had my wheels re-spoked. Everything just hung and rotted away! So I definitely need a new saddle and the old one never worked anyway (a Terry Butterfly)

namaste,
v

BleeckerSt_Girl
12-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Just a note- never anything wrong with saving money on bike parts....but a saddle is not the item to skimp on- it's too important.

Andrea- much better to store walnuts in your back jersey pocket, not in your shorts. ;) :D

Andrea
12-10-2008, 03:17 PM
The SMP saddles do take some getting used to. If you've ever experienced sitbone soreness from riding, prepare to feel the same type of pain, but in the other bones that you put weight on because of the unique curve of the SMP.

And I'm not sure where I came up with the phrase "holy walnuts!" I think I started saying it over the summer. I'd spent too much time around some foul-mouthed male bike racers and had become accustomed to letting a few bad words slip without repercussions... then came the day when I was cleaning the gutters, and I got frustrated and let an f-bomb fly in front of my neighbor's kids... I felt bad and figured I needed to start being more creative with my language :D