PDA

View Full Version : clips for cross?!?

mairead
12-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi all:

Im a road biker and looking to get into cross racing. I am building up an old specialized frame this week with the thought of trying out the last race of the season here in New England, just to get a feel for it and have some fun getting muddy. So, here is my question....

Will I be massively struggling if I ride is toe cages as opposed to clips? My road clips wont work (look) and I am not really in a place to get mtn shoes and new pedals for one weekend of racing.

any thoughts/suggestions/tips?!?!

Thanks!

Andrea
12-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Personally, I'd go for plain flat pedals if clipless wasn't an option, but you could always practice getting your left foot out of the basket before you start your dismount... then practice getting back into the baskets once you re-mount. It could get tricky!

TrekJeni
12-08-2008, 02:28 PM
I'd go platforms too. I ride Frogs for mtb and cross and Light Action for my road bike. Could be tricky getting in and out. I know I still have screwups and I've been doing it for two years!

Andrea - I see you're in Memphis. Our season here in Cinci just ended. My teammates and I were thinking about doing the Jan series down in Knoxville. Any knowledge you can share?

Jeni

SheFly
12-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Hi all:

Im a road biker and looking to get into cross racing. I am building up an old specialized frame this week with the thought of trying out the last race of the season here in New England, just to get a feel for it and have some fun getting muddy. So, here is my question....

Will I be massively struggling if I ride is toe cages as opposed to clips? My road clips wont work (look) and I am not really in a place to get mtn shoes and new pedals for one weekend of racing.

any thoughts/suggestions/tips?!?!

Thanks!

So, are you planning on the Ice Weasels or Natz Schmatz race? :D I'll be at Ice Weasels on Saturday. Likely to be the only woman racing in the Open SS category (I have a green Voodoo - if you are coming, look for me and say hi!).

OK. Back on topic - I agree with Andrea and others - don't use cages, but use platforms. Getting in and out of cages is hard enough without having to do it potentially in a hurry (i.e., if someone in front of you crashes or bobbles, you need to be able to get free pretty quickly).

Hope to see you!

SheFly

mairead
12-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the great tips!

Hi SheFly! Yes, I will be at Ice Weasels! Ill keep my eye out for you. I am hoping there will be a good turn out for the women's cat 4/beginner race. Ill be riding a super heavy and clunky specialized. Ha! See you there.

Andrea
12-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Andrea - I see you're in Memphis. Our season here in Cinci just ended. My teammates and I were thinking about doing the Jan series down in Knoxville. Any knowledge you can share?

Jeni

I've never gone to any of the knoxville CX races because they're long haul from Memphis. So, I don't know much about them. I know I'll be going to the Sunday (25th) Chattanooga race because I'm going down to GA for Southern Cross the day before. It's possible that I might go to some of the others (except for the 1st weekend in Jan when I'll be at training camp) with my S.O. because he has decided that he wants to chase CX3 points.

So, no, I have nothing useful to add! :D