PDA

View Full Version : Big Bend area

gingerale
12-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Anyone ever ridden there??? We're putting together a last minute bike ride over the Christmas holidays to ride from Marathon, TX, to Big Bend Natl Park just for some fun. Anyone ridden that route or area?

Aggie_Ama
12-08-2008, 10:28 AM
I have rode Fort Davis area, not Big Bend. It is great for riding with very little traffic and wildlife you probably don't see often (antelope, javelina) but isolated. Make sure you have a sag or have plenty of stuff for fixing mechanicals. We ended up having an unexpected SAG for the 74 mile loop, we would have been in trouble otherwise. Have fun, remember the dry air and altitude might dehydrate you quicker but probably not since your everyday altitude is higher than mine.;)

I would locate the Best Road Bike Rides in Texas Book, I think your planned ride might be in there.

gingerale
12-08-2008, 06:27 PM
We've backpacked and hiked that area many, many times. This is my first time to ride there. We do have a SAG vehicle and back up plans all in place. We're going to ride Ft Davis area, too. My dad did that last spring break but I didn't.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I didn't know that one was out there. I'll go search it out this week.

Aggie_Ama
12-09-2008, 04:42 AM
I can't remember where you said you were but the Lubbock Bike Club does a Big Bend Ride every February. They were the ones that ended up being our unexpected SAG in May, they were doing an annual Fort Davis weekend. If DH could get off this Memorial Day I would jump to go out and do it again, I really love that area for a visit. I wonder if they have a contact on their site who might give you some tips? You should have a great time but won't it be cold? :o

gingerale
12-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm too far away to ride with them, unfortunately. As for being too cold down there, it'll be a whole lot warmer than here. LOL!!!

fidlfreek
12-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Howd the ride go?

gingerale
12-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Our reservations aren't for a few more days. I'll let y'all know once we get back.

gingerale
01-01-2009, 05:03 PM
UPDATE...

Well, we didn't get to do the ride there after all. My riding partner (aka my dad) got sick and we had to postpone it by a couple of days. Long story short, we had to find another ride to make that was closer so we bought that book on rides in Texas. We picked a great one around Fredericksburg and we were both extremely pleased with it! There was only one 3 mile section that I was uncomfortable with (I don't like riding with a lot of traffic) but it wasn't the worst stretch of road we've done, either. Overall, it was 37 miles of pure enjoyment and lots of hills. Just right!

We are going to try the Marathon to Big Bend Natl Park eventually...just not this time around. Too bad. I really was looking forward to it but it all worked out great in the end, anyway.