PDA

View Full Version : Diablo - Saturday May 28

Veronica
05-23-2005, 06:22 PM
We need to do it again this month. 9 AM at Arbolado Park, the second entrance. Thom has announced HE likes starting from there. I personally could do with more warm up, but it's nice to not really have to pedal once you leave the park on the return. :p

V.

aka_kim
05-23-2005, 09:53 PM
I'll ride from home and meet the horde at Arbolado.

aka_kim
05-27-2005, 09:24 AM
I lied, I won't be there on Saturday. I "threw out" my back a few days ago and don't think I can ride yet.

The weather seems perfect, you guys should have a great ride.

cindysue
05-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Is this ride still happening? OK, I am better armed with a map this time (Thanks Kim!). I'll plan to be there at 9am and will have warmed up with about 7 miles of riding. I'll leave the trailer at home, so I don't fall too far behind V.

I've sent V. my number before but I have no way of getting ahold of anyone if something comes up.

Veronica
05-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Yep, we're still doing it. I'm sorry you can't make it Kim. Heal up soon. You have Sierra next weekend. Are you going to do Slug Gulch?

V.

aka_kim
05-27-2005, 06:29 PM
I was planning/hoping to do Slug Gulch, now that I'm such a seasoned veteran of the ride :rolleyes:. At the moment, I'm just hoping I can get back on the bike some time this weekend. I may have to go to the doc :eek: if my &*#@% back doesn't get any better.

So Zippy Vee, try not to leave CindySue in the dust now that Fluffy is all light and fast.

yellow
05-27-2005, 06:31 PM
From PVille it's me, Brian, and KillerBea. We're leaving at around 6:15 am from the boondocks of Placerville (KB's house). Ouch!

Looking forward to it though! :)

Veronica
05-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Aww no hotRod. I'm heartbroken. ;)

V.

slinkedog
05-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Soooo... we need a trip report!! :)

Veronica
05-28-2005, 05:31 PM
It was a good ride. It was kind of overcast and windy. I had expected it to be hot and so was wearing a sleeveless jersey. I had an extra t - shirt in the car, so I threw that on over my bike jersey.

My new tires are great! Maybe it was not eating pork today before the ride, but I felt great on the lower section. My average speed was 1.2 miles higher than last time and I was 11 minutes faster to the Junction compared to last time.

I didn't see Sue and Brian for very long. CindySue was just a bit ahead of me most of the way until she dropped her pump. I rode with Bea for a bit in the beginning. She's strong - riding a double - or crazy. :)

It was Thom's turn to feel crummy on a ride. He was carrying our jackets and tool kit in his handlebar bag. We figure it weighed 4 - 5 pounds. It's a great bag, usually used for his camera and on the tandem, where a few extra pounds aren't so noticable.

The skies stayed overcast and the wind increased as we got closer to the summit. I usually wear knee warmers when it's less than 60 or so. I should have brought them today. After we passed Juniper I could feel my knees beginning their tingling that is the first stage of what can be some pretty intense pain for me. My knees are genetically flawed. I have had the same problems with them since I was a little kid. My sisters have the same problems. I've had doctors tell I don't have enough cartilage, too much cartilage, arthritis, blah, blah, blah. I just try to avoid the things that make them hurt. I went on for about another mile and then decided that was enough. Everything, but my knees still felt good.

The descent was fast and cold. Once we got below the Junction, it warmed up again. We were almost back to the Gate and Thom said something was wrong with my rear tire. Somehow I had flat spotted it. I never skidded. So maybe it was defective. It was holding on by a thread. Thom went and got the car and picked me up at the Gate.

This will be the fifth tire I've put on my bike this week. :(

We had a nice lunch at Mountain Mike's and chatted about lots of things, including CindySue's upcoming trip. And my knees seem to be okay. :)

V.

SadieKate
05-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Sounds like a good and bad ride. I'm glad you had the Pville group down. I'm sitting here in the middle of a huge thunderstorm with hail. The PNW strikes again. Wasn't it really, really hot yesterday? Shouldn't that have been Diablo's weather?

Veronica
05-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Overall - good ride! It was nice to feel the way I think I should feel when climbing that silly mountain. :D

I forgot to write about Grant Peterson flying by us in his typical attire, regular shirt, shorts, sandals, no helmet, a bike with fenders, platform pedals, a big bag on the back, speed blend tires. And I do mean flying by us. :p

V.

Irulan
05-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Grant Peterson, is that a local? I think I went to HS with him
(Monte Vista, 77)

Irulan

massbikebabe
05-28-2005, 08:09 PM
kim:

moist heat, ibupro., and anything with wintergreen oil massaged onto the sore area...

karen, who has a nurses back that could stop a clock

Veronica
05-29-2005, 08:01 AM
Don't know when he went to high school. He is a local guy - owner of Rivendell Bicycles. Here's a pic from last year's Riv camping trip. He's the guy on the right.

V.

http://www.tandemhearts.com/rbw-2004/people/slides/rbw-people-29.jpg

yellow
05-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Overall - good ride! It was nice to feel the way I think I should feel when climbing that silly mountain. :D

I have to say that Zippy Vee was positively glowing with good-ridedness yesterday, much better than the BBQ pork ride day! Yah, it was cold but still a great ride. Though now we really want to do the mtn bike version.

By the way, CindySue, Bea and I DID end up doing some shopping on the way home, but Brian is the one that scored. We stopped at the Pearl Izumi outlet. No Memorial Day sales ( :confused: ) but Brian did end up getting some new bib shorts. The man has more in his closet than I do!

Bike Goddess
05-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Wasn't it really, really hot yesterday? Shouldn't that have been Diablo's weather? SK

Well, SK, speaking from the lowlands, no it was a bit cool down here in the Bay Area. And as V mentioned, windy. When I got out of work in SF the wind was really blasting away! Cold enough ocean air that I was glad I had a lightweight wool coat!

Today a bit warmer, tomorrow warmer yet. But the breezes continue......

BTW- I did have a pinched flat. At least it's fixable!
Got new tires yesterday (prep for AIDS ride) so now I'm blue strips instead of red. :( :( My red helmet just doesn't match anymore! :mad: :mad: On the good side, I can pump these darlin's up to 160 if I really want to go fast! One of the guys at LBS races in the same tires. They're supposed to pick up less crud on the road. We'll see! :D :D :D

cindysue
05-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Great ride, nice meeting V and Sue, Bea, Thom, and Brian...............

Hard to believe Bea went ALL the way up on a double. If somebody gave that girl some more gears, she'd smoke us!

Brrrr, I think my teeth were chattering by the time we got to Mtn. Mikes, but all in all a good day. I felt strong on the bike and made it up that last bit with less effort than last time.

Hope to see more of us out there next time. It really makes for a much more enjoyable ride to cycle with friends. Thanks ladies (and sig. others)!