PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Peer Support & Motivation!

NW_Meg
11-04-2002, 12:56 PM
I'm 32 and used to bike avidly. After an accident and injury a few years ago, it's been a challenge getting back into biking consistently. But something inspired me to go for it. I just bought my first road bike (I LOVE this bike! god I love this bike!) and am starting to ride again and training, slowly, for a couple of short events in 2003.
For inspiration, I taped the words "Breathe" and "Believe" on my handlebars... and the quote "THIS is women's work" on the back of my bike light to help me up hills and through pain.
What I need now is this: other women who are passionate - even zealous - about biking to check in on me every now and then to make sure I'm doing it -- riding -- training -- perservering! Really, email me -- be my support buddy. And if you're in the PacNW, email for a weekend ride. I definitely need more riding partners just getting back in the saddle...
Thanks!

pennys
11-04-2002, 03:01 PM
I'm passionate to the point of being crazed about mountain biking, I'm still riding 2x a week even with this arctic cold weather. I was up in the snow on Mt Coeur D'Alene yesterday.

I suggest you join a club in your area (Washington is a big state)and make some connections and commitements to ride. If you have riding partners, that's the best way to make sure you get out.

Either that, or the passion forces you out to ride, no influence of others needed. That's how much I need my rides, I go alone if I dont' have a riding partner.

penny s

goddess1222
11-04-2002, 06:33 PM
just remember, you can do anything. you are a woman, of course you can. what kind of bike do you have?

i am a fairly new rider myself and i have such a hunger to learn and ride more and more.

what keeps me going is having watched lance go through chemo, being so sick, and then seeing him defy everyone, including the french team that dumped him when he had cancer. of course you know the rest.

never quit. keep going. one more mile. one more hill. it's all you honey!!!!

ride on!!!!

goddess1222

pennys
11-04-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by goddess1222
just remember, you can do anything. you are a what keeps me going is having watched lance go through chemo, being so sick, and then seeing him defy everyone, including the french team that dumped him when he had cancer. of course you know the rest.

sometime you don't have to look so far for inspiration. One of my mountain biking pals had a partial mastectomy this summer. Then she broke her collar bone. Has she quit? Not on your life. Riding is what's keeping her sane. We meet after her radiation treatments for rides. Sure some days aren't so great for her, and some days she walks the hills, but I am so glad to have her to ride with. She says she'd feel like **** whether she rides or stays at home so why not keep riding...

penny s

NW_Meg
11-04-2002, 08:22 PM
Thank you girls! Yes, there is definitely inspiration all around me -- big and small.

Penny -- did you know Missy Giove has had several compound fractures in her pelvis and still races mtb?...

And Goddess, your clipless-pedal stories are killing me! This weekend will be my maiden voyage clipped in... I think I have the basics down, now I just have to put it all together.

NW_Meg
11-05-2002, 08:49 AM
Wow! I didn't know anything about MG other than her career performance and her pelvic injuries (my injuries were also pelvic)... that sucks that someone 'positioned' to be such a great women's role model is the opposite....

Your friend who rides after treatments is a far greater hero/role model in my book!

missliz
11-08-2002, 09:00 PM
[note from forum administrator: the posts by Pennys that Missliz refers to have been deleted at Pennys' request]

I too am just back on the bike after three years of injury and being put back together in multiple surguries. It's hard. And every time I've been to this forum looking for support and advice you, pennys, have been a catty *** with no clue so why don't you lay off Missy? So what if she's a *****? So what if she's a ****? She has a history of acomplishment nobody here can even comprehend. I know from reading your posts that you certainly aren't a *****, pennys, you're a wuss, and that pathetic female "Oh lets get dishy with somebody we don't even know and call her a *****" is such a mean load of crap. Go back to Junior high. Or better yet, go to an inner city emergency room on a saturday night and you'll see that even Sunday school teachers go bananas after trauma. Missy is a legend, and she's kind of goofy, and every trip to the first aid tent is the possible end of her career. Since I'm pretty sure you've never made your living off of racing bikes, much less been world champion, what the hell would you know about what drives Missy's actions? It just sounds petty and jealous.
Every time Little Women like you start up with that kind of nastiness you chip away at the hard fought gains women have made to get out the house and onto a bike and into the workplace. The fact that a Missy Giove can race downhill proffesionally is a freakin' miracle to Title Nine generation women like me who weren't allowed into weight rooms and had to put up with a level of harrassment you all can't imagine. You should show respect.

NW_Meg
11-08-2002, 09:41 PM
well, uh, ok, I feel compelled to get us back on track...

Sorry one woman (Penny) felt let down by someone who could have been a role model to her, and I have to concur with the last post: ***** or not, I have immense respect for anyone who fractures her pelvis and gets back on her bike. I'm sure anyone in the ambulance with me after I got hit would have had much worse things to say about me... and I didn't have a bike career at stake...

So, enough about that... MissLiz, are you still doing PT? What else have you done to get back on your bike? I just started pilates with a coach, and it's so much harder than it looks... but unless I rebuilt some strength in my lower back, riding any distance will continue to elude me...

missliz
11-08-2002, 09:44 PM
So sorry about that rant, Meg, but cattiness and mean gossip is so un Bike. Being in exactly the same place I can totally understand the enormity of coming back, It's scary to get back on the horse and ride. A good club is a good idea. Go around and check them all out in your area. I used to ride with the touring club before I got run over, but I've been talking to guys from the hard core road racing club in the gym (I'm back in the real gym!) and they're really supportive and have a beginner development program they think would be right for me. Other slow fat awkward people. I would never have thought to talk to that club, but they've got a big non racing membership and stress individual potential. And they go mountain biking. So check around, you want the group with some structure AND people who are nice to you. I'm still at the barely makes it eight miles stage, but these guys have a coach who can tell me how to use the gym over the winter to come back faster. The body remembers. Also, if you do some upper body strength work it'll do wonders. Spin class works the heart, but on the road you need the strength to manage a moving bike.
I have two and half years invested in reconstruction and PT, so the gym was a doctors order. He was right- I'm coming back really quickly. A few days ago I went out for a whole hour and rode well, good leg speed, good bike handling from all those crunches and bench press, hopped a hole, I'm so sore I can't move. But I'm so happy!

missliz

NW_Meg
11-08-2002, 10:11 PM
Congrats on the hour ride, MissLiz!

I'm doing a half hour tomorrow, and a longer one Sunday... I don't even care how fast yet, I'll just be happy to keep upright and going forward!

Don't know if you've tried this, but hot baths with Apple Cider Vinegar take the edge off muscle ache for me (especially help stave off spasms).

missliz
11-08-2002, 10:34 PM
You posted while I was writing! Pilates comes very highly recommended at my PT outfit; but I'm starting on "spinal stabilization" for a bad sacro iliac joint next week and it's supposed to be similar. I figured out something cool- the curvy saddles we've been riding act like a wedge pushing the ilia apart, wich may be why every rider I've talked to has an SI experience. When I wussed down my cross country bike I got a flat cushy saddle and wow! That flat across the back business doesn't shove the ilia out of place! Is this making sense? So I talked to Adam, bike merchant extrordinaire, and he said everybody is going to these flat tail saddles. Terry bikes concurs. So think about this if you had a lot of pelvic injury. I had to have both knees rebuilt and they're doing well. Actually, I had the best knee surgeon in the country (luck!) and he said I had some patellar misalignment that he fixed, and my knees may actually be better now. My feet are pretty ruined, have to wear ugly mens sneakers and I'm a stilletto heels kind of girl, BUT cycling is the most recommended activity for my injuries, wich is pretty cool. At least I get to wear beautiful silver and red shoes on the bike.
I got hit by a cane truck, and am told I tried to kill the driver when he stopped. I was completely losing it nasty belligerent all the way back into New Orleans in the ambulance. Yelled my head off. I'm told this was actually a good thing- ranting adrenelin pumped pissed off patients are in better shape than comatose patients. The big whack to the head I took wouldn't have helped.
So I'm finding the hardest thing is the habit, especially with the time change.I think about it, and I rounded up some riding clothes that fit, but actually getting out the door is tough. I hope the Guys With Cute Butts Bike Club will help.

missliz

Buy your bike a nice peice of jewelry, like a nice anodized brake cable hanger. She'll appreciate it, and the Bike Gods will smile on you both. Those BMX skull valve caps are good too, especially with ruby eyes.:p

pennys
11-09-2002, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by missliz
I hope the Guys With Cute Butts Bike Club will help.

LOL

Thanks for the smile. If only MTB guys would get that baggy is NOT flattering. Except when they hang a little low on a nice flat belly....

penny

goddess1222
11-09-2002, 09:37 AM
hey missliz!!! i had to write to say that i admire you. it sounds like you have had a serious time with injury. it also sounds like you are doing all the right things to get back on track. you have such a level of courage to get back on the bike after being hurt for so long. i want to personally congratulate you on your courageous journey through a tough time.
if i ever get injured, God forbid, i hope i have as much courage as you to get better quick, and get back out there.

ride on!!!
goddess1222

missliz
11-09-2002, 11:16 AM
You're a sweety, Goddess, 'cept you poached my own true name... :p Well lets all be a pantheon.
Courage is kind of a movie of the week word- useful for PR but the supposedly brave have no idea what it's supposed to be. I only recall stark terror and trying not to panic and bolt in pre-op. At PT it was tedious and onerous and half the reason I always went was that it was the only thing that got me out of the house. And I could only find one article of faith to hang on to, that I would ride again. I had some exquisite wheels hand built for my road bike just as a sort of offering to the bike gods. If you ever get sick or injured you'll find that there's no choice. What are you gonna do? Obsess on illness or obsess on health? It's always there. And daytime TV is SO awful.
I figured out early that cycling was the only sport I did that I could keep, so I focussed on it. Now is the really hard part- actually going out the door on the bike. If anybody wants to explain courage, tell me 'cause I need it now.
Course maybe just struggling along chasing The Guys with Cute Butts will work better than courage. Sex is more interesting than philosophy.

missliz

goddess1222
11-09-2002, 02:38 PM
you are right about courage being easy to say yet tough to practice. so cool about your custom wheels. it gives new meaning to a girl's best friend. i started a thread on this website a few weeks ago because i am a new road rider and had been practicing in a park clipping in and out to get ready to try it on the road. i titled the thread "fear". i had the most wonderful responses from women on these boards. encouragement, advice, and a bit of cheerleading. it was great!!! you have obviously been riding a lot longer than i, but you may find a few of the responses encouraging. check it out .

good luck to you!

goddess1222

p.s. i am more than willing to share my namesake. the word "goddess" is meant to be shared.

missliz
11-09-2002, 09:33 PM
I read that thread about the road pedals and fear. If you continue to have trouble, it's perfectly OK to use clips and straps 'till you're used to manuevering in traffic. I think clipless pedals get pushed on to people much too early now, because it's more stuff to sell and the people in even the best shops forget that they had it one step at a time. Bikes used to come with beartrap (toothy platform) pedals and after you got used to the bike and traffic you added toe clips. Clipless are only about ten years old. Sports are actually learned in the body as much as the mind and a road bike with Looks is a lot at once. Even road shoes are a big trick to put down a foot in. I'm using beartraps and clips with no straps right now till I get stronger, and I love clipless, but I'm relearning stuff. Lots of people are scared to death off clipless pedals- I talked to a woman at a festival (my last) three years ago who was terrified of them but used them because her husband told her to. There's no shame in putting off clipless if you get overwhelmed by it all. People ride singletrack on MT bikes and BMX pedals. Cycling equipment is so fashion driven and you should scale down to your best comfort level if you need to. You can add stuff back on later.
Maybe not BMX pedals on a road bike though:eek: Too weird!:p

Missliz

pennys
11-10-2002, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by NW_Meg
well, uh, ok, I feel compelled to get us back on track...

thanks.
disclaimer :rolleyes: the following comments are my OPINION, no one has to agree with it. Anyone is welcome to disagree politely, just don't attack me

Sorry one woman (Penny) felt let down by someone who could have been a role model to her, and I have to concur with the last post: ***** or not, I have immense respect for anyone who fractures her pelvis and gets back on her bike.

there is that... However when I look at a role model for myself or my kids.. l look at the whole package, the whole persona: how are people treated, attitudes and so one... how much of that would I want my daughters modeling? There are plenty of excellent and awesome atheletes who don't use a "bad boy" (bad person) persona to make their way.

I

I'm sure anyone in the ambulance with me after I got hit would have had much worse things to say about me... and I didn't have a bike career at stake...

last note about an encounter I had with a certain racer: Serious trauma I can understand. But a broken toe that needs to be retaped? Give me a break.

More opinion, no one has to agree:
There's a lot to be said for a drive to keep going under injury. But there's some things I file under the stupidity category. That''s just my opinion. I've got a lot of respect for someone who knows when to quit, too. Even my freind with breast cancer says "no" on some days.

Other women to look up to: Julie Furtado, Cindy Devine, Jeannie Dywer, Aliesha Kline Kasha Rigby, Lynn Hill....

speaking of Lynn Hill, her memoir on climbing ( she's the best female rock climber in the world ) is an awesome read. "Free Veritical" is the name of it.

penny s

missliz
11-10-2002, 11:14 AM
Get a life, lady. Your kids already have a role model in the house to teach them how to be judgmental and self centered. Meg NW wanted a little scratching behind the ears as she struggles through the hardest scariest turning point in her rehab, and suddenly it's all about you and your tiny little world view. You made an attack and got called on it. How does calling somebody you don't know ugly names support Meg, or Goddess, or womens cycling? Dishing Missy Giove is as far off this topic as you can get. Missy as your role model? Since when are you a gutter punk peirced gravity drop junkie? She's not anybodys role model, she's a one of a kind. And you might try out the realities of the great Gioves situation- If she blew her event that day, didn't finish, was this when Cannondale was getting ready to drop her, you have no idea what goes on in other peoples lives and the kind of pressure cooker elite athletes are subjected to. She probably lives with a chronic pain problem from her years of injury, as did Furtado from her knees. (She was no peice of cake to deal with either I hear). Missy has enough history of head injury to be almost guaranteed Parkinsons and will pay for her career just like Muhammed Ali- A great athlete in a frozen dyskinetic body. She knows it too, talks about it very calmly in interviews. A broken toe? How about the mounting choking terror that builds with every trip to the first aid tent? Every race could be her last. Her career was really dicey back in '99, and thats the last I really heard, I've been distracted by my own injuries and career gone down the tubes. She doesn't know how to do anything else but ride gravity, and probably can't even use pain meds 'cause of the doping rules. You never had a hideous overwhelming last straw day?
Why don't you back down and check yourself, and I think you owe the thread an apology for throwing the B word at a complete stranger. I'm referring to the posts you had deleted rather than just apoligize for, as well as the one above. Until you've been hauled off in an ambulance you shouldn't dis anybody who has.
In New Orleans we have a saying- Be Nice Or Go Home. You made a nasty little attack and got called on it. You had a chance to just drop it and didn't. Karma will be around to bite you on the *** shortly. I won't be even reading anymore of your posts, though, so you can call all the nasty names you want. I think when you come after me, and girls who call nasty names throw them at everybody, you'll want to throw in slob, ****, shameless Jezebel, pushy **** ( I'm straight and really pretty, but get called that a lot for some reason :p), foul mouthed, fashion victim, smart ***, and I'm sure you'll think of some more. Like unpleasent belligerent *****. Whatever. I'm off to enjoy the shameless Jezebel thing at Galatoire. Wish you were here, Meg. The oyster season is starting, yum!

Liz Claiborne

missliz
11-10-2002, 11:42 AM
So back to the important topic of this thread- It's Sunday, and Meg had planned to ride. How'd it go? I had forgotten about the evil bugbear of biking on the Gulf Coast- Sinus trouble. I haven't been able to ride again all week, got a fever and a scrip for antibiotics. I'm frustrated, and my knees ache from lack of exercise. Please, everybody tell all about your weekend rides. I'm going to go down to Galatoire and eat Oysters Rockefeller, but I wish I was on the bike instead. I need an adventure and can't go have it, but if you all would share yours it would help a lot.

Miss Liz

NW_Meg
11-10-2002, 12:03 PM
I now have my maiden voyage under my belt! The big one for me is the distance from my house to my office (Washington State Ferries kindly help with crossing the Sound, but the rest is all me). I did it today! I was trembling as I left my house, really trembling, but I did it!
I rode mostly bike trail along the water and stayed clipped in about half the time.... except when I approached an intersection at which I clipped out, hopped off and WALKED through... but I feel ok about it. When I actually arrived here at my destination I was jumping up and down in the hallway yelling "I ROCK! I AM A GODDESS! I AM THE PHOENIX!" I'm, uh, feeling very proud right now.... total ride was only 7 miles with three hills worth mentioning... but it's 7 back for a grand total of 14 today. Weee haaaa! I feel fantastic. I figure if it takes till summer to warm up to riding closer to traffic, so be it.
Btw, MissLiz, I am from the Gulf Coast, too -- originally from Tarpon Springs Florida but many years now a Northwesterner. Riding in 40 degree wet weather -- like today -- still does not feel right. Have a great time this afternoon and thank you for all the support! Wee haa!!!! Oh... and I put my favorite sticker on my new bike.. it's flourescent orange and depicts a person shooting a tv (reflecting my personal disdain for television, which I think keeps too many women needlessly indoors....) and I seem to have named her Georgia.
OK.... gotta finish work here so I can get back on my bike and do the glorious reverse commute!

goddess1222
11-10-2002, 12:27 PM
meg, i am so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!! way to go. my legs were trembling last week on my maiden voyage too. i know what you went through.
so cool that you stayed clipped in and ok. i don't know what else to say but great job!!! i am speechless! you made my day. go get yourself a foot massage, back massage, or something to reward yourself. or better yet, if you feel comfortable doing so, give me your e mail and i will send you a little surprise. don't worry, i am about as harmless as they come.

great job girl!!! ride on!!!!

goddess1222

NW_Meg
11-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Yup, and I rode better on the return 7 miles (well, at least more consistently, though mostly NOT clipped in).

I'm tired and sore, my lower back is throbbing and I feel wonderful! Life is SO beautiful!

The challenge, of course, will be to do it again....

I'm really glad I found these boards, this is making a huge difference simply having other women to 'report' back to! Thank you thank you!

missliz
11-10-2002, 11:10 PM
New Bike? Merry Christmas! What did you get?
I'm so proud of you, and thats not half as proud as you are of yourself which is great. You go girl. And ferry rides? Crossing water is always a little something extra, a little more to the adventure. Thats so neat.
You're gonna be sore tomorrow Miss Pheonix- we want the second ride report post 48 hours. Rest. And stinky Ben Gay really helps.
I think the fact that the new bike told you her name so soon is very auspicious. Course putting a smart aleck sticker on a bike is like giving a lapdog a new rhinestone collar. Instantly curries favor. Sounds like you're groovin' girl.

missliz

NW_Meg
11-11-2002, 06:59 PM
Ouch.
I did ride again today -- the 14 mile commuter round trip, plus about 5 miles at lunch with a friend practicing clipping and shifting and managing traffic. I am feeling much 'smoother' on my bike now, like she's becoming an extension....
But oh my god am I aching from head to toe. My butt bones I think are bruised. My back is throbbing. My arms now, and right between my shoulders.... and even my thighs and calves. Was I always sore before? Am I just old enough to feel it all now? Or am I this horribly out of shape?
So, hot tea and a hot bath tonight... and tomorrow I'll cut myself a break and not ride.
I am going to check out a wide flat saddle like missliz mentioned -- I have a damanged SI joint which I regularly sprain, which often triggers that whole cycle of back pain, pelvic pain, back pain.... it makes sense that our saddles are pushing those bones apart. My butt deserves so much better :p
Nonetheless, I gotta say, I love being back on a bike and it's worth all of this. Must be in my blood or something...
I'm looking forward to hearing about your next trips out!

missliz
11-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Well it will get better, and you were only ocasionally sore before. So what kind of new bike is this? What color?
I'm ready to train- and still sick, doc said not to ride yet. Went to the gym to stretch and keep the habit, asked about spin class, and some aerobics bleached blond type told me she didn't think I could handle a spin bike. Time to throw down. Handle what? Hopping the potholes in the aerobics studio floor?
I've only ever done one competitive cycling event,a time trial, but I won it in perfect inexorable spin form. I don't display my trophys, they're kind of meaningless a few days after a meet and catch dust, but I dug this one out and had a little cyberchat with the head of the Cute Guy Bike Racing Club, actually the New Orleans Bicycle Club. He reveiwed a few basics, like time at intensity, I found my heart rate moniter, it still works...
Bring It On, Kelly. My butt may have gotten big, but I have new knees.

I've been back at the real gym one month, and I lost ten pounds! Progress.

Miss Liz

Susan126
11-12-2002, 10:14 PM
Hello NW Meg!
Way to go girl! Keep it up! Sore butts are a pain but if you keep biking it will get better! You gals are giving me motivation! Lately I haven't been biking because of the weather, work, my husband working overtime (he's my riding buddy), tired but that's going to change starting right now! Joe (hubby) and I bike hard all spring, summer and fall but once winter and the rains of the pacific nw arrive we stop. As if a little rain will melt us! But not this year! Nope .... I'm glad I found this forum and this thread .... this weekend for sure Joe and I are biking. Saturday on our mountain bikes and Sunday a nice long road ride! I hope the same goes for everyone else out there!
Thanks everyone!
Susan

NW_Meg
11-12-2002, 10:45 PM
You're so inspiring! Someone telling me I can't do something is a sure fire way to get me to do it. (Being nice, of course, helps me continue doing it). You will show that woman! Just remember: you are doing this for yourself. Let her enrage and inspire you -- but this is all about you!

I've been thinking about spin class, too. I feel strong now (finally getting strong), but the cardio... well... could use a little work!

Georgia (my new bike and first road bike) is a black matte Cannondale RW700. And she is beeeeeautiful. She's angled slightly more upright than a traditional road or racing bike, but very slick.

Unfortunately tomorrow is a suit day (as in biz suit), so no bike. But Thursday, I just can't even wait! Bring on the rain -- nothing can hold me back again!!

Tell me when you start spin class -- let's comiserate!

NW_Meg
11-12-2002, 10:49 PM
Welcome! I have really been inspired -- especially by the amazing encouragement and candor of fellow biker girls MissLiz and Goddess here...
I'm just figuring out all the waterproofing and would love to hear how you manage the wet rides. Keep us posted!

I'm on the Kitsap Peninsula and commute to Seattle -- plenty o' rain.

Susan126
11-13-2002, 06:35 AM
Thanks NW Meg for the welcome! Yes, MissLiz and Goddess are very inspiring! I've heard a lot about spinning classes from friends who bike. They swear by it and say it really helps them to keep in shape all winter long. Joe and I do belong to a gym and maybe we should check it out. By the time Joe walks through the door it's after 5 and very dark outside! Forget road riding in the dark! Too dangerous even with lights. We do however mountain bike in the dark, now that is a lot of fun!

But anyway, the Kitsap Peninsula! How lucky! That is a beautiful area to bike. I did the Kitsap Color Classic last month! A good friend of mine lives nearby in Indianola. She's been road and mountain biking for years! She's my inspiration because she just celebrated her 60th birthday and she's still going strong! She's trying to talk me into doing the Courage Classic with her this August. I told her I'll let her know! I live in Pierce county in the town of Bonney Lake between Sumner and Enumclaw.

You're so lucky that you can bike to work! And as far as water proofing goes .... LOL .... you just try the best you can. I have the gortex jacket and the booties but even so you're still going to get a little wet. That's life in the NW this time of year!

Wait until Joe finds out we're going to the gym tonight! :D

goddess1222
11-13-2002, 09:19 AM
well, she says you can't handle the spin class eh? i got my degree in health and fitness. that is a huge black eye on my profession. she is an insensitive and uneducated person. i am glad you are not listening to her. i love spin. i go twice a week, more if i can. it really supplements the riding. what i don't understand is that since spin is such an individual sport in a class atmosphere, where is she getting her information that you can't handle it? ohhhhhhhhh, makes me angry. women like that give all us good women a bad name. what i learned in school is that encouragement is the key to creating a fitness program and developing good habits. if you would have been talking to me, i would have gotten your number and called you until you gave in and joined a spin class.

report back and let us know how it goes....

goddess1222

missliz
11-13-2002, 11:26 AM
Well, I've never been to spin class, but it's an obvious thing to try- The only group that can't drop me in the first hundred yards right now. 99.9% of people at this very cool gym are super nice and freindly, the first gym I've ever used that's so relaxed. Love it. Lots of well used bike racks on the cars in the lot. Not worried about this one insecure non-rider, just motivated. I was wearing a t shirt from a century at the time, so she just knows nothing whatsoever about cycling. And really, it's just a fancy exercise bike with a cheapo seat.
I got really fat while I was laid up, and I think it was more about the size of my butt than my human potential. I think Goddess has already covered this attitude in a diffent thread.
I fenced for 16 years- a super competitive sport where you try to just rip peoples throats out in a certain arena, then all go out for a beer together afterwards. Wish more women understood freindly competitiveness and sportsmanship. I don't get these women who are so super fit from aerobics but never take it outside and play- they miss so much. I show up with occasional black eyes, bruises, or road rash, and they're just horrified by it. They don't get me. I think a skinned knee or two is totally worth the day I rode with a ten point buck on the Racourci Island jeep road. Now a deer, it can really humiliate you. Damn they're fast.
But this woman doesn't bother me. I just need to show this lost soul how it's done, that'd be fun...

missliz

Hey Meg- matte black? How elegant! Welcome, Susan.

ayermail2
11-13-2002, 01:02 PM
missliz -

I am confused - what do you mean exactly by a flat seat versus a curvy one? can you get me a brand/model /weblink of an example? I only know 1) cutout, 2)soft padding instead of cutout, 3) no cutout (I have only been riding about a year and 1/4...so much to learn....:)

my thinking is to ward off injury....

thanks!

Veronica
11-13-2002, 03:23 PM
I spin 3 - 4 times a week at the gym. The best thing about is it's your ride. You decide how much tension goes on that knob and your cadence. I encourage all the new women at my gym to try it because you don't have to be super coordinated like for Step or kick boxing.

I also work out at home with my mountain bike in a trainer to Spinerval tapes. I really like those too. For me it's a different focus with the tapes - I spend more time thinking about technique. Spin class is all about heart rate for me anyway.

Good luck and go spin!

missliz
11-13-2002, 07:28 PM
So, suppose you were looking at a horse from the rear, across the tail. The back of the saddle is curved like the horse. If you look at the Iron Pony (bike ) the same way, the saddle is basicly the same sort of curve. Walk behind the bike and squat down so it's at eye level, look across the back tire.
Now go to terrybicycles.com and look at the Butterfly, or criuse your local bike shop. Different saddles have different shapes, including the curve of the back of the saddle. Some are deep crescents, some are totally flat across the part where your sit bones go. And many variations in between. The shape can be very subtle.
I have a long history of lower back pain on the bike, which I now know to be sacro iliac trouble. When I started riding again after a three year break I had to take the hard racing saddle off the bike and get something a little more easy going, by luck it's totaly flat as a board across the back, my SI joint hasn't flared yet. A light bulb went off. ( This is a big cushy sprung saddle, the kind we laugh at. Laugh no more, it's comfy!)
Hope this explains it. The nice ladies at Terry tell me the flat across the back saddle is popular with other people with lower back troubles, and my physical therapist thinks it makes perfect sense. Some people just hate the Butterfly/Damselfly flat thing, but we're all built differently.
The saddle thing is just such a *****, so expensive to keep buying them and find out what you need or hate. I can't beleive nobody's ever researched what body types like what saddle types. It could never be totally precise but I'd think they could throw us better clues.

Miss Liz

Trivia- the ladies saddle with the cutout is actually a late nineteenth century invention. The Safety Bicycle, what we basicly all ride variations of today was a major factor in the womens suffrage movement. Zooming around the parks in bloomers was called "scorching", absolutely scandalous behavior and totally the rage.
So we get it from our great great grandmothers! Raise that beer to the old girls after your next bike adventure.

missliz
11-13-2002, 07:56 PM
So where do Spinerval tapes come from, and are they the same kind of thing as the classes? Tell me more. Sounds like a good resource.

Veronica
11-14-2002, 04:04 AM
We got ours at Performance. I think they have them on their website. The company has their own website too spinervals.com. Most of them are 45 minute workouts, one is 90 minutes. There are 9 videos in the competition series, two in the fitness series. I only have the competition ones (no we don't compete) The coach on them is Troy Jacobson. Each tape has a different workout focus, hills, muscle breakdown, intervals, sprints, recovery & technique. The 90 minute one is steady state intervals.

I find them to be a great workout - a good change of pace from Spin class. Because I'm on a real bike, it seems I can work on technique better than in Spin.

Good luck!

Veronica

missliz
11-14-2002, 10:02 AM
Thank you Veronica, that's good to know about. They sound cool.

missliz
11-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Thank you Veronica, that's good to know about. They sound cool.

ayermail2
11-14-2002, 12:14 PM
I will go look at my saddle tonight - I think it's probably a flat one as it's a Terry butterfly.....good to know stuff like this!!

PS gonna ngo "scorching" again Saturday :D

missliz
11-14-2002, 02:35 PM
As I understand it, the very flattest. But don't sweat it, unless you already have the problem, 'cause 1- zillions of people ride all their lives and never have an SI problem, and 2- the injury isn't caused by the saddle, but by unequal leg strength creating a lot of torque up in the hips and pulling things out of whack over a long period of time. Pedal mashing instead of good spin technique will bring on stuff like this eventually.
Most importantly though, not everyone is even susceptable to this particular irritant. I have hypermobile joints (double jointed) and my ligaments stretch like putty. I also have congenital knee misalignment problems that affected the adjoining joints. And I got hit by a truck. And I'm probably a lot older than you and have years of wear and tear from a really intense fencing career and a lot of nasty skating crashes. You probably have none of these factors.
If your back is killing you, the first thing to try is serious ab work, at least 100 to 200 good quality crunches a day. You work up to this, don't be intimidated. this also strengthens the pelvic floor muscles and stuff in your back. This will improve you in any sport real quick even if your back doesn't hurt. I drop and do them while the coffee drips in the morning.. And getting looked at by somebody like a really good physical therapist or orthopedist (A lot of them are idiots, really ask around) is sometimes warranted.
But this is trivia to you- didn't you just spend 12 hours on the bike doing your first century and having a ball? Don't worry about it unless some jerk (guy) tries to intimidate you with gear inch calculations and you need something esoteric to counter with. Just look up the sacro iliac joint so you'll know what you're talking about.
Actually, it'd be easier to bat your eyelashes in silly fashion and then go find somebody fun and nice to talk to instead.:D

Miss Liz

ayermail2
11-14-2002, 03:10 PM
thanks for the post missliz! I just had to chuckle!! :p

as for the flat saddle, I was also thinking about my sister - she does have trouble with her lower back in general (been actually laid up a few times...but then she's been much more athletic than I - rock climbing, canoing, kayaking, hiking, etc!) After I got mine, she went saddle (re)shopping and I think she now has a butterfly saddle also....

I am assuming the flat saddle thing can also apply to men? Her DH sometimes has trouble, and was actually using her old bontrager saddle - definitely not the right one for him - about 60 miles in, he ended up turning the saddle around and using it backwards!!!!:p

ayermail2
11-14-2002, 03:19 PM
I think I've seen the bike you've got, with the matte black finish...are the "stickers/words" in glossy black?

It's an ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS bike! I am so happy for you!

Good luck with continuing to ride...although I am not coming back from an injury, I do remember how triumphant I felt last year finishing my first 18 mile ride! (In fact, I must have been downright jubilant - when I returned from my first century ride this past weekend, my DH was reminding me about the 18 mile mark!!!!)

NW_Meg
11-15-2002, 11:10 AM
Yes, glossy stickers -- very elegant bike! Of course, like I said, I put a neon orange 'kill your television' type sticker over one of them. She actually stands in my living room where most people I imagine have televsions!

I have to pipe in on the SI stuff and concur with missliz: i have misaligned knees (trouble since I was a teen with every impact type exercise I ever tried) and my legs are slightly uneven. Of course, none of this is noticeable from casual observation. I too was hit, but by a minivan, from behind, so I was thrown and landed on my tailbone... pelvis actually 'lifted' and landed again. Ever since, I manage to sprain my SI joint at least once a year, and it was always after a few months of biking. The last time was so bad it triggered the whole cycle of si inflammation --> back spasm --> si locks up --> back spasm.... and I quit riding all together for over a year and a half. I absolutely believe the saddle isn't causing the injury but exascerbating it by pushing those bones apart and am switching to a flat saddle this weekend!! It makes perfect sense to me... I can't do crunches but I am doing pilates which is quickly (remarkably quickly) rebuilding muscle strength in and around my entire pelvic core (the pilates 'clock')... Anyway, I think women are more prone to chronic SI trouble, but I think it begins with a real impact injury. Of course, as missliz knows, it's tough to find health practitioners who really understand it well. At least I've had a hard time finding them.

Took my bike out for a spin again yesterday and am feeling more and more confident with each pedal stroke... finally remembering good technique and gradually laying off the pedal-mashing!!! happy riding to all of you this weekend... even if it's just a little jaunt!!! how lucky are we to be riding? imagine all those people who haven't found this love (yet!)!

goddess1222
11-15-2002, 11:53 AM
i had to chime in on the whole lower back thing. hey missliz, it never occurred to me that lower back problems could be due to uneven leg strength. i have had chronic lower back problems for a while. but lately it has been a different kind. i go to a chiropracter every 4 weeks to get an adjustment(he doesn't pop or crack my joints, just slow nerve and muscle stimulation). but still, lately, my left hip/lower back/I.T. band has been getting quite tight. also, when i turn quickly and bump into something, my back goes through a sort of spasm. it is short and acute. hurts like hell. my chiropractor says it is a defense mechanism. i am not so sure. i am trying to remember back, when i was in school, and there wasn't a lot of concentration on people with lower back problems. i too am taking pilates, helps a lot. what i have also found is my back muscles are just really weak too. my spin instructor gave me some really gentle back strengthening exercises to do. i am amazed at how weak i am back there. i sweat my brains out when i do them.
Hey NWMeg, with the way you were describing your symptoms, it makes me think i am having the same type of problem. a cycling guru i know told me to go get a deep tissue sports massage and have them at least get the knots released so it can be stretched out properly.

so Liz, what do you think? does this sound like an SI related problem?

missliz
11-15-2002, 04:41 PM
OK, guys, I am not an expert. I just came up with a theory- after I lucked into a super excellent physical therapist with special training in SI joint rehab who loves to chat away about her work and by chance mentioned some of this stuff. The bike seat thing is working well for me so far, but I don't have too many miles on the theory yet. I just want you all to understand that I'm no expert. I went to art school not allied health.
That said, Yeah, goddess, it could well be SI joint OR a general alignment problem pulling muscles out of place and so pulling you out of whack. I had somthing very similar sounding a few years back and think SI was a factor, and that orthotics would have fixed up a lot. (Whole nother subject that.) This can get to be various kinds of joint problems over time. Go to Amazon or wherever and look at the books by Pete Egoscue, he's a functional anatomist who realigns people with stretching programs and simple exercises. I have the first book, (cheap! love Amazon) the one with a white cover with big green letters. His ideas are simple, but very interesting. Most people don't stretch enough, get all balled up and carry a loy of stress in their muscles, then the fascia gets stuck like glue and stuff doesn't move back where it should be. Good stretching work done regularly fixes a whole lot. I don't beleive in chiropracters, a good physical therapist will do you more good. Takes longer, but they educate you to look after yourself in the long term. But whatever works for you, OK?
SI joint injuries are easily determined- Know where it is? Look it up. The joint isn't actually mobile, it exists as a kind of shock absorber to protect the spine from the shock of your feet hitting the ground. It's held together by ligaments, and when those ligaments stretch they and the joint get all inflamed. The joint can go into subluxion(pop out of place) and throw you out of whack 'cause the ilia rotates a little bit. Your legs are suddenly different lengths. The ligament running over the joint will light up like a Christmas tree. Your whole butt and back can go into spasm, orthopods and runners literally call it "pain in the butt syndrome". (Runners get this a lot too.)
I bet more general lower back pain could be the beginnings of this. But again I'm no expert. See somebody about it if there's a big problem.
Warning- A lot of orthopedists don't really understand sacroiliac joint problems. Physical therapists usually do. You may just need to weasel a RX for lower back pain to get to a pt and get treatment- Which is essentially Pilates type stuff. Ole Joseph was on to a lot.Back exercises are good, but you need ab work too, make sure it gets the pelvic floor muscles. These pull the SI stuff back together, and really spices up sex, too :p ,weren't expecting that were you?

Miss Liz

goddess1222
11-16-2002, 10:55 AM
no, i wasn't expecting that. but a fitting end to a wonderful post. thank you for your advice. i got the health and fitness degree quite a while ago, and many things have changed. i am trying my best to re-educate myself slowly. thank you. i will check those books out. i think you are right about a pt being better than a chiropractor. they tend to be more up to date on current problem solving.

have a great day!!!

goddess1222

MM_QFC!
11-22-2002, 05:47 PM
Hey NW Meg and all on here...wow! - this is such an energizing thread...thanks for starting it and keeping it going.
I'm in Seattle area and have been riding for a few years and many of the posts I've read here brought back great memories and lots of laughs from my initial clipless pedal rides along with dealing with injuries, etc. I've nodded to myself while reading what Miss Liz offered...not meaning to 'dis' chiropractic but it is NOT for me...learned so much from my PT about how to work with my body instead of against it...how to train, prevent injuries and the infusion of confidence in setting goals and working to accomplish them has been an amazing journey off the bike as well. I also credit her with helping me recover, and rehab quickly from knee surgery; back on my trainer 3 days post-op and on the road in 5 weeks...absolutely zero knee issues since...after pain since I was a teenager!
So, Meg if you'd like some local ride info and encouragement, I've heard from numerous folks over the last few years that they've received that from me and it's helped; I'm glad to offer a hand up to you too. I am enjoying 'slacking' a bit in the off-season, but we have so many beautiful riding routes in our area, that when you're ready to get out and ride a bit let me know...I'll tell you where the great ride routes/bakery or pub combos are!
Tailwinds!

NW_Meg
11-22-2002, 09:27 PM
OK girls, I had my first spill! (And, lived to tell about it!). I am riding every other day... tonight as I was pedaling up to my house, I sort of unclipped the right foot first, and for some reason leaned left anyway and did the classic, slow-motion kerplunk! right in the street looking at my front door oh-so-close! I'm sore -- and I expect a healthy bruise on my hip and shoulder in the am, but otherwise unscathed. I knew it was inevitable -- and so I'm grateful it happened at the END of a great ride, and well... that I didn't get run over while I was down. >PHEW!< Oh, and I am confident my neighbors got quite a chuckle at this, but they're too kind to tell me they witnessed my embarrassing moment. I am happy to report that other than still being embarrassed, I am undeterred and have a good, long ride planned tomorrow!!

I'd love to hear if you all are riding -- or having good riding weather!

Note to MM_QFC: I would LOVE to ride! I commute to Seattle four days a week (2x by bike/ferry, 2x drive) and am open to coming over for a weekend ride. Do you want to email me? Please note: I am back on my bike and going forward, but very, very slowly!!:)

goddess1222
11-23-2002, 02:40 PM
i met with my physical therapist a few days ago. i was tired of screwing around with the chiropractic. she asked a lot of questions, then did a flexibility test on my back, etc. i told her about the back strengthening exercises i was doing and here is what she said: my back is strong, but the joints in my lower lumbar are the problem. they are just really tight. she asked me why my chiropractor wasn't prescribing any back joint stretching for me. i told her i don't think he really knows what it is or what to do. she then put me through a treatment: wet heat for 10 min, then she bent me like a pretzel. it hurt like hell, but in a sadistic way it felt great. then she checked my flexibility again, and my range of motion increased by an easy 30%. she told me she would only have to see me 5 or 6 times to get my joints completely stretched out. i have homework to do: 2 main joint stretches 3 times a day. i will be going in for treatments once a week for 6 weeks.

after i walked out of the office, my back was loose, fluid and felt like someone had replaced it with a new back. i have never had it feel so loose and NORMAL ever!! incidentally, i cancelled my appt. with the chiropractor. now i will only see him once a month for maintenance. or who knows, maybe this "pretzel" therapy will negate my need to get an adjustment ever again. as long as i can do stretching at home to remedy the situation, i am happy.

here is her philosophy: stretch the joint first and then strengthen the joint later.

i feel such a sense of content that i now know WHAT it is. thank you all, especially missliz for encouraging me to reschedule my appt. with pt.

a bit long winded, but i wanted to share the good news with you all.

missliz
11-23-2002, 06:06 PM
"It hurt like hell, but in a sadistic way it felt great"... :D Isn't that the way of PT, though. I'm sitting here snickering and can't wait to tell my PT that on Tuesday- she'll just howl.
I'm glad you feel better. We all forget to stretch and then get tight tight. It doesn't structure into cycling the way it does in some other sports. Well, actually I'm totally ecstatic for you- I wouldn't wish SI stuff on my worst enemy.

missliz

:( Bummed out with a cold, and the weather is exquisite here.

Wren
12-12-2002, 05:28 PM
NW Meg, where are you on the Kitsap Penisula? I just moved to Silverdale from Austin, TX (a long story) and I'm looking for a riding partner who is my pace, which is newbie slow and the hills are killing me. I was doing up to 20 miles 3 times a week back home, but have been off the bike for awhile. If you are interested in getting together, let me know. I need some motivation!

Wren

NW_Meg
12-16-2002, 06:41 AM
I sent you a personal message -- did you not get it? I live in Bremerton, right next to Silverdale (bought my new bike at Silverdale Cyclery in fact!). Hills are killing me too, and I would LOVE a local riding partner who wants to practice hills. I've met a few riding buddies here at TE, but so far my schedule has made it tough to coordinate. I'm in Florida now on holiday, but I think once the new year starts I'll have Saturday and/or Sunday mornings for local, hilly rides. Do you have an email address I can send contact info to?

Since
12-16-2002, 07:26 AM
This is a first post for me. I live in the southeast, but we've had miserable weather here for several weeks, and I'm trying to get into better shape for a long spring ride. I'm planning to do a cross-country tour in early March (59 days on the bike, with an average of about 62 miles per day.) It will be the longest I've ever attempted, and even though it is supported, I want to be in pretty good shape for it. I've taken several spinning classes, am walking several miles a day, and am doing some stretch/aerobic classes when I can. Has anyone out there done this kind of ride, and do you have some advice for me about winter training?

Wren
12-16-2002, 08:00 AM
NW-Meg,

Didn't get your reply for some reason. I'll have weekends available for rides as well, and then some evenings once we have more daylight. Let's try to get together soon. You can email me at work at: creativeguru@earthlink.net.

Jenn

missliz
12-16-2002, 11:19 AM
Welcome, Since. Great screen name. Nothing trains a rider like riding- you need to be in the saddle every day, well six days a week. Spinning is good, but you need a lot of base miles, or now it's time at a certain intensity. Low intensity. Use a heart rate moniter. The pro's train on rollers in the winter, in front of the TV. You could go out in the dark and cold for a few hours a night, but are you really gonna do that?
Spin class is short and intense, that's good for some aspects, but you need rides of a minimum of two and a half hours several times a week. Rent movies, work up to it. That 2 1/2 hour mark is the training adaptation point. It's a freaky feeling, down the line you'll really feel the change in your body as you go through that time. I got this off some headcase old race mechanic and he was right- just keep the intensity low and the speed will come up over time. Your endurance will increase at the same time. It's real grunt work but it pays off. You'll need some much longer all day rides, too. Weekends in the country. 60 divided by your cruising speed, at 20 mph thats at least three hours a day in the saddle.
You are gonna look so great in short skirts! :p Well worth it.
You can start this on the trainer, but rollers are almost a perfect simulation of the road. They work everything and demand the same coordination and proprioception that outside does. Put them in a doorway to start, (catch yourself on) and you might want to use platform pedals.
Unless you have time to ride during the day- then get the heck outside. Bad weather builds character :D .

missliz

MM_QFC!
12-17-2002, 09:32 AM
Welcome Since!
We in the great gorgeous Pacific Northwest can say plenty about "miserable weather"...it's true that we don't get much snow and our winters are fairly mild in temperature, it is our rainy season, so we get used to about 11 shades of gray on many days!
The info and recommendations from missliz are on the money...and it's totally true that the best training is to get out and ride...if you're training for a long duration (59 days right?) and high daily mileage then, get on your bike and start pedaling!...the 2.5 hr mark is true also, but I find it much easier to be when you're outside and the scenery changes, rather than in spinning, on rollers or a trainer; just my preference as I get bored easily I guess!
Are there bike clubs near you that you can tag along with? When I first started riding, I used to go to the low mileage, social level rides, then gradually worked to longer rides at a faster pace as I grew more experienced and stronger. It's also a great way to learn the good local bike routes in your area. Nothing replaces time in the saddle...and working up to being in the saddle for most of the day, then day after day...it all takes time, so plan it out, don't rush it and keep your goals in mind. If you focus on correct bike mechanics, smooth steady cadence on the pedals, and methodical buildup of miles and time in the saddle, you'll feel yourself get stronger before you know it. Not sure if you can get help from a local mechanic or someone knowledgeable in bike fit, but that's super important...if your butt hurts, it'll be discouraging and you don't want that...A friend of mine is a LBS owner and she tells women right away to pay attention to their saddle and positioning so that they don't "bruise the oh so important girly parts"...her shop mechanics always blush and grin when she starts talking about those sensitive topics, but all us girls appreciate it and learn fast how important it is to our enjoyment of this amazing sport.
Keep making it fun and brisk walking, other sports are fine for cross training, but you'll want to put a good training plan in place to follow, so you can enjoy your 'goal' ride experience successfully and safely. Good luck!

MM_QFC!
12-17-2002, 09:49 AM
Hey Wren - welcome to the Northwest and you've just come from the Land of Lance - wow!
I'm up in Edmonds, just north of Seattle, but have done a few rides in the Bremerton area. Yeah, anytime you're out on the peninsula or on 1 of the islands, you should expect hills...there are a couple of hills on a ride out of Silverdale I did in 2001...that were killer...I heard plenty of moaning, cursing ( along with my own!) and more from even the gnarliest riders as we climbed up out of DeWatto and then Tahuya (think I got the spelling right)...anyway, they're both south of you, before we headed back along the nice flat scenic shore road...it was part of a century route of the well-supported ride called the Triple Trident ride in June. Each route had an 11 mile loop thru the Bangor submarine base to make it a very unique ride for sure.
There are plenty of gorgeous routes all over the Puget Sound/Western WA area, so let me know if you're interested in riding sometime and it'll be fun to encourage you on!

Since
12-17-2002, 12:49 PM
Hello all! My thanks to MissLiz and MM for the good advice. It certainly reinforces what my own limited experience has taught me, that those miles outside are invaluable. Several years I rode throughout the winter, then had a terrific cycling spring and summer. The years I put the bike away I never quite got the cadence and pleasure back - it all seemed like an uphill struggle for most of the riding season. So, sold - I'm out'a here, into the crud. Anyway, I decided some years ago that if I'd been born a race horse, I'd be a "mudder", one who likes the sloppy weather. I do appreciate the good gear that is available to keep one warm and dry, as I find that it helps considerably.

I also am a believer in good frame fit. I'm about 5'3" with short legs. When I bought a road bike 12 years ago, I was in between the frame sizes that Terry made, and decided I'd rather have the larger bike. (I actually thought that 2 wheels the same size might be important, easier to fix flats, etc.) While I loved the bike and it served me well, I should have gotten the smaller frame. The new Terry that I bought several months ago (correct small size) has almost eliminated the wrist and hand pain that has plagued me for most of my riding hours. I do think that rollers will help my balance, if I can find some to work with.

I appreciate the encouragement you offer. Again, thanks!

MM_QFC!
12-17-2002, 05:05 PM
Hey Since, didn't want you to think that I was urging you to get out there and ride in muck and pouring rain, cold temps every day or push it at this point at all...it's gotta be part of your program so that you can set yourself up for success and always, ALWAYS have fun!
I'm enjoying the holiday off-season from training and my PT/coach usually starts nudging me in January. So, I suggest (only suggest, but it's worked for me): make a plan and keep your goal in sight: use your target ride start date, total mileage and endurance (how many consistent days you've got to get in that saddle and ride 'x' number of miles), then make a reverse timeline to build up in all areas: start off easy and do as missliz recommends...just focusing on time on the road, in the saddle, pedaling with a nice, smooth steady cadence adding time and mileage each week...use the 10% rule: don't increase your weekly mileage or miles per ride by more than 10% each week...that way you build endurance, strength, and keep concentrating your riding form. I assume you want to enjoy the heck out of the whole ride experience, and get through both training and the ride itself, safely and without any injuries at all. Strength training/weights in the off-season make a big difference when you get out there on your bike in the Spring months and start tackling longer rides with tougher hills too.
When it rains, use a skull cap that you can wear under your helmet (you always use a brain bucket, right?!) that covers your ears, a waterproof, breathable jacket (Lemond has one with good reflector stripes as does Burley), layers, tights that have a good front of the leg wind/rain protection and even booties...it's really icky when your feet are cold AND wet...full finger gloves should complete this trendy ensemble...happy trails!

missliz
12-17-2002, 09:16 PM
I'm totally intrigued, welcome MM_QFC!, so what does it mean? Are you the rider formerly known as Hey, Girlie? :p But training all year is important, and I suggested the rollers because commitment vs misery is often a lose lose struggle. I've been eyeing rollers from PerformanceBike or Nashbar for years, but must confess I never bought them 'cause on the Gulf coast we can find lovely days all "winter" (term means fewer mosquitoes here). I use a mountain bike with slicks at night on the street, but I know people who do mindless TV time on the rollers instead of the couch and my god are they fit! You can really work on spin technique and keep up with ER. I'm coming back from three years of severe injury and totally envy you Since, I want to make the Great Adventure Ride and have a ways to go before I ride 60 miles again.
So where are you riding Since? Sounds like a ride across a continent, how fabulous!
For years, all my training, weights and various sports, then a lot of rehab, was written down and put in a binder from the drugstore. I knew where I'd been, and the days work was there waiting to be checked off. Use paper in festive colors, it helps, and those gridded charts from the weight room are good. This way, you set up a program and then don't have to think about it on a daily basis, just show up and do it. So much easier! Also, you can write in exchanges, for days when you just can't deal with whatever. If another spin class is going to make you implode, go to a skating rink and be aerobic for that 50 minutes but get a good laugh out of it. Hike or ski or whatever sometimes, just get that basic aerobic goal met but avoid the boredom. Crosstrain. Going dancing counts as long as you don't get plastered and you do break a sweat.
One last thing- this is creepy. You need weight lifting or weight bearing work. The anti boredom crosstraining will probably do. All riding and nothing else can give you "bird bones" and it's a really freaky feeling. I got it, and I'm built like a cement bunker. The body can adapt to cycling by ditching bone mass to lighten the load and not only will this screw you up in old age, if you fall you break those weaker bones easily. You can tell if you ever get there, like I said it's creepy. Those really scrawny guys you see who only go to work and ride- not racers with lots of muscle mass- they have this. Some people are more prone than others. Do some basic weights after spin class, you'll be fine. I just mention it because you will be in hard training down the line (a state of grace!) and you need to know this stuff. Once you get in shape for this tour you'll be doing more events, right?:D

Merry Christmas, girls!

missliz

goddess1222
12-17-2002, 09:21 PM
miss liz, your inspiration is phenomenal.

missliz
12-17-2002, 10:06 PM
Uh, no, my ability to kick but at Trivial Pursuit is phenominal. This is all trivia, mostly learned from a really first class bike shop staff and reading cycling magazines. (Or, bike porn as it's called :p) But thank you anyway sweetie:D . I appreciate a compliment.
So how is your back? Did all the stretching make you a happier rider/person? I've been a total PT slug, had a sinus thing lately and I'm trying to hit the floor every morning again. A hundred crunchies with coffee isn't really that hard but makes me feel so accomplished. It's hard to keep up though, and that's the difference between us and the Olympic team. Compulsive crunchies and back stretches every morning.

Merry Christmas

missliz

Since
12-17-2002, 10:11 PM
Hello all! I'm riding the WomanTours Cross Country (lower tier, San Diego - St. Augustine) ride. It'll be a trip of about 59 days, and I'm psyched! I have done a lot of things for the wrong reason, but I think this is for the right one - I just want to do it. Two years ago I was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer. Life as I knew it seemed to stop so abruptly, and the boring part of serving the illness set in. I had 9 surgeries within a 12 month period, some huge, some small, but I do think that the body paid a price each time. Chemo for 6 months, which I had a particularly hard time with, was the worst of the experience. When I finally felt like moving my body through space again, either walking or on a bike, I was a rank beginner, with dreadful balance and almost no stamina. I'm getting better each day, and I do see real gains as I work on my "new" body. I plan to have a small "2-year anniversary" party somewhere in Texas! For so many reasons, this trip is like the mountain; it's there, and I need to do the ride. I know that there will not be a better time to do it, and it is giving me a purpose to stretch for. I just learned to ride a bike about 14 years ago, and found that despite the falls, it was the most fun I'd had since I was 8 years old! I appreciate all the tips, and I can hear the guidance better from you sisters. (When my sons wanted to take charge of my training, they got very analytical and laid out a logical training program. I promptly got very resistant and turned off. They are alarmed, thinking I plan to just go out and "wing" it). So I want you to know that I'm writing down all your tips in a brightly covered journal, and I'll be putting tick marks beside them. And yes, I plan to enjoy the hell out of this ride. I've made a number of changes in my life these last 2 years. Along with letting go most of the small stuff, I 'm having more fun. I'm saying "No" to a lot of things, and "Yes, yes" to a few others. And I sure do appreciate all the other women who make a difference in my life!

Since
12-17-2002, 10:21 PM
Hello again! I may not have mentioned that I'm riding this ride as an awareness and fundraiser for breast cancer research through the National Breast Cancer Coalition Research Fund. There is a great ad that runs on TV every so often, showing a little girl, with the tag line, "Breast cancer is one thing she won't have to worry about. It will be conquered in her lifetime." I feel pretty motivated to be part of the solution to the problem, which affects us all, with the numbers really working against us as we get older.

missliz
12-17-2002, 11:25 PM
I was sick for 4 years, and saw my death coming. Then I saw Leigh Donovan on a MT bike at Moab on TV and she was having more fun than me so I fired those doctors and got a bike. Then I got well. Medication dependent but well.
My new docs are all jocks, we all get along better.
Are we whaling on you with too much info too soon? Feel free to ask for clarification. There's a book at Amazon on training for long distance and endurance touring that might be better organized and usefull. I'll have to go fetch the name and post later, it's in my wishlist. I totally understand about guys and having them tell you what to do, but you don't need a super rigid program, you just need to understand basic conditioning principles and know you need to work out most days, then later almost every day. Anybody can ride 60 miles; it's riding 60 miles day after day that demands hard training. Recovery. You can train your self to make faster better recovery. And after what you've been through pushing the body may be the best thing. Be as alive as possible. Look at Lance, his fitness is what pulled him through his illness.
Covert Bailey wrote a series of books called "Fit or Fat", and he did TV shows for PBS. His explanations of metabolism and training adaptation are excellent and reletively easy to understand. He actually did the research too, he's a PhD in biochemistry who wondered one day why he suddenly had a roll around his middle and went into the lab to find out. Your public library may have the shows on tape, look for the latest editions of the books. He kept revising as the research roared ahead. Easy read, super usefull info. for any training program.

missliz

goddess1222
12-18-2002, 09:18 AM
hello missliz. hello ladies. the PT is going good. i had my second appt. last thursday and have another this friday. it is a little better. each appt. she is giving me more homework to do. now, every hour i have to do a sort of back bend in addition to my regular back stretches 3 times a day. she does a little deep tissue massage first to get the joints and muscles flooded so they respond to the "pretzel bending". my right butt was soooo tight i couldn't believe it. she had to get her elbow into it to get deeper. it almost brought tears to my eyes. but it felt great. and i told her so. i haven't had the acute pain since i have been doing the "every hour" stretches. i am amazed at how tight i get and how fast it happens. i just wish i could learn how to do the "pretzel" thing at home so i could feel that deep stretch every day. she is one strong lady. and a jock like the rest of us. she has a real affinity for athletes all shapes and sizes.

all is good. but i am sad because i haven't been out on the bike in two weeks. but spin class is a great alternative. i always believe, even if the weather is bad, staying in shape is most important.

my birthday is sunday the 22nd. i WILL be on the bike that day for sure. the "princess" gets to do whatever i want that day. well, it's always that way every other day too. heee, heeee

missliz
12-18-2002, 04:22 PM
:p Happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday to you!
All prance around and worship the Goddess with the sore butt-
Happy birthday to you!

Hope you get impressive jewelry:D !

missliz

goddess1222
12-19-2002, 09:48 AM
thank you fellow goddess!

MM_QFC!
12-19-2002, 12:24 PM
early Happy Birthday greetings from sunny Seattle too, Goddess!

goddess1222
12-19-2002, 08:23 PM
thank you MM QFC. i trust you have had a reprieve from the rain as we have had down here in portland.

MM_QFC!
12-20-2002, 07:27 PM
you bet, goddess and, while it's a chillier ride, it's nice and dry...enjoy!

missliz
12-26-2002, 09:29 PM
Total couch slug lately- Xmas food and drink, and feet ache from high heels. I can wear real shoes again! and of course totally overindulged in the evening sandal strut. Must ride. Must drag self to gym. Must purge self of red and green M&M toxins.
Bleah.

Happy New Year, Ladies. Mardi Gras is coming...

missliz

NW_Meg
01-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Just wanted to touch base with you all and say that I'm riding more than ever! Despite a few failed attempts at riding with others (I'm working on it!), I have been riding pretty consistently and am feeling better than ever. I'm keeping up with pilates, and it's having an amazing impact. Two months on a bike now totally injury-free!!!!! My goal w/ pilates was to strengthen my core, and a really nice side effect seems to be a firmer figure there in the middle. Wihoo!
And I am learning (the hard way) all the ins and outs of wet weather riding....
I hope you are all finding winter biking opportunities... I'd love to hear about your adventures in the wind, water, snow and cold! And if you have a recommendation for really waterproof gloves that fit small hands (I usually have to wear kid's gloves), please toss it my way.

Happy New Year!!!

Hill Nelly
03-02-2003, 06:12 PM
HI ladies. I am sitting here tonight while my little boy catches up on homework, making the most of my time reading your posts filled with humor, support, and inspiration. I love it. This is where I want to be.

I started a thread today (very first one) about "your first commute". Don't know how it will go over, but it's of interest to me to know who does try to get to work this way.

I started cycling for fun with my son about 2 yrs ago when he was 8. His routine was to ask me if I wanted to go for a ride - to which I would grudgingly agree. By the end of summer though, I was hooked. Jeezle Peets, I didn't get how or when to even shift gears properly that first summer. My first goal was to get up Laker Hill - probably the shortest but steepest little hill in my area. Took me another year, but I did it! Then I set my sights on getting to work under my own power. My first flight I was soooo scared I almost talked myself out of it. But my husband and son pushed me out the door and that was it. I can't recall right now the woman on this thread who rode to work and was just so exhilerated - I just thought "that's me, too!"

Thanks ladies for being such great support to one another. I know I am the only fish in the pond where I live-anybody who knows I ride thinks I'm more than a bit crazy to be out on a bike on the road. It's good to be in your company.

Night all.
Hillnelly

missliz
03-02-2003, 06:41 PM
I'm laughing my tail off- Hillnelly may be the best bike screen name I've seen in a long time. I totally understand the hillnelly state of being too, I'm there as well. It gets better, you'll attain full hill warrior princess status quicker than you think.
It's Mardi Gras here in New Orleans, where I was raised on "Dum vivamus vivamus" (Knights of Momus, God of night and satire. Or over the hill drunken frat boys, depending on how your husband is behaving). Is the -os ending a gender thing? I always wanted to take Latin. If that's the female gender spelling I need to fix it on Miss Bike.
If you need technique help, like struggling up those little hills, just ask, we're here for you. Cycling is one of the nice little enclaves where girls can get ancient and still look normal in day-glo spandex. Treasure it.

missliz

IronHorse213
03-03-2003, 08:27 AM
Dear Meg,

Congradulations and welcome to the best sport in the world!!! After a 17-year lapse, I, too, am starting to ride again. I bought a new mountain bike at the end of last summer and started weight training in December, looking forward to riding a lot this year. I'm in NYC, which has challenges all it's own, but I share your enthusasim and would enjoy having an "e-ride-buddy" to yak with!

What are you doing to train? I, as mentioned, have been weight training and working on a treadmill to get stronger and into better shape (am overweight). I know this is working well because on a warm day here a few weeks ago I got on my bike and ZOOOMMMED. 7.2 miles flew by. My first few rides on my new mt. bike I noticed the road drag difference from my old road bike; after a weeks of training, on this day it just didn't seem to be there at all - I felt like a kid - "glee" is a new addition to my vocab. both verbal and emotional!

Tell me about your plans.

looking forward to it all,
'calla
Iron Horse warrior

Hill Nelly
03-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Dear Missliz,

thanks for the welcome. That Latin verse - better keep what's on your bike as it is, cuz I don't know about the gender thing.....Didn't realize it tied in to Mardi Gras. By the way, if I knew any French I'd tell you "let the good times roll" for the big day tomorrow.

Today it hit the 40s. I can feel Spring a'comin- my first commute of the year will be soon!

Hillnelly

Hill Nelly
03-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Dear Ironhorse,

Did you mean to send this one to me ? Since it says Meg, I didn't want to get in the way of someone else, but I got it in my email, so hope it's right!
I've been training this Fall/Winter with Pilates videos and strength training with free weights here at home. Got my bike on an indoor trainer and I do the CTS training video (60min)4-5 days a week and the Spinervals "Mental Toughness" (90min)once a week (have to say, I'm not consistently doing the 90 min every week). If you could see where all this takes place, you'd laugh.
I have a tiny extra bedroom where my bike is and my weights are tight against the wall. I have to take my little tv out into the living room to have enough room to stretch with the Pilates. The Pilates has been the greatest addition . The focus on breathing and deliberate movement is great. I don't work up a sweat with this, but I know I'm toning and increasing flexibility. I got my videos for this from collagevideo.com.

Yep, this is the best sport in the world. Glad to be sharing and encouraging along with you.

Stay in the ol' saddle as often as you can, because Spring will be here and you'll want to be able to charge right out of the gate.

hillnelly

:)

Veronica
03-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Dum vivimos, vivamos!

The ending should be mus. Latin is conjugated and mus is the first person plural ending (we.) For verbs in Latin it doesn't matter what the gender is, but it does for nouns.

Guess what I majored in? Latin! I get to use it a lot in my fifth grade class. ;)

It's a great tag line.

Have a good day.

Veronica

missliz
03-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Whew, it is spelled right on the bike. The guys who make Carnival happen here were all classics majors, they read in the original Greek and Latin so I should have known to trust what's written on the tacky plastic beads. I just thought that if there was a female gender version that's what should be written on my seat stays. And the French is "Laissez les bon temps roulez", wich is the name of an excellent fun bar here if you ever make it down.
It's 1:14 AM, so Mardi Gras has begun :D ! I should sleep. Long day cruising the streets as a glittering Dragonfly ahead.

missliz

IronHorse213
03-04-2003, 05:51 AM
Hi Hilly Nelly,

Actually I was replying to NWMeg's original request for new rider training encouragement, but I'm happy to yak with anyone! I have to admit most of this winter has been too cold to ride (for me) since I'm returning to the sport and don't have any winter gear but working out at the gym is paying off anyway.

Your apt. sounds a little like mine - when I had my road bike on a trainor I rode in the kitchen inbetween the microwave care and the fridge! Then i'd back the whole unit up into the only bit of space left in the apt, in the kitchen, to store it. Sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do!

How do you like the CTS tapes? this is the Carmichael training system right? what kind of stuff is on it?

What do other folks use to train?
'calla
IronHorse warrior

goddess1222
03-04-2003, 09:10 AM
a dragonfly eh? EXXXXXCELLENT!!!!!

Hill Nelly
03-04-2003, 01:26 PM
hey Veronica, glad you got me straightened out . Made the correction,too! I do appreciate it.

Iron Horse, about that CTS video. They put out 2 videos. One emphasizes anaerobic training and the other focuses on climbing hills . That's the one I have. He takes you thru about 55 min. of intervals that simulate different climbs you may encounter. I don't have a cordless cadence on my back tire or a HRM and the people on the tape do. I get an estimate on my cadence (60-65 rpms or the faster 90-95rpms) by counting my pedal stroke for 15 sec and multiplying by 4 to give me the rpm. Don't know if that's the best thing to do, but that's how I've been going! I really do like the intelligent approach he brings to the training. I haven't been bored with it. If you'd like, the website is trainright.com.

bye for now.
Hillnelly

missliz
03-05-2003, 04:08 PM
AWESOME DRAGONFLY! The gay guys were impressed, hard thing to do. The straight guys bought me drinks and acted adoring all day, and damn is that nice after two years of boring *** physical therapy. My second line dancing is back in swing, so spring training on the bike starts tomorrow. Normally we do the "Ride Of Atonement" on Ash Weds, 50 miles in the country then retire to the brewpub at Abita Springs to sin somemore. Couldn't hack that distance this year.
The only way to get around New Orleans at Mardi Gras is by bike, and I was afraid to take mine as I didn't know if I could ride across town, dance around for eight hours and then get home again. I can do the dancing around bit- so it's time to work on the bike part.

hungover and happy

missliz

NW_Meg
03-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Hi Iron Horse, Hill Nelly, et al

Welcome and wee haa! Since I first posted looking for support, a lot has changed. I met two great biking buddies through this board (big nods, girls, you know who you are!) and have made the successful transition from reluctant biking beginner to flat out joy-filled everyday cyclist. Actually, I ride 6 days a week... 4 are only commuting (for a total of about 12-14 mi RT) and 2 days I do rides of 2-4 hours. Two weekends ago did my first ever organized road ride -- the Chilly Hilly. It was the most fun I've ever had on two wheels!

The first few months I just tried to be on my bike as much as possible. I have been working with a pilates/core strength training coach to strengthen 'the clock' and this has made a huge difference. Pain only once in both SIs (recently) and it passed in a few days. I started swimming again and occasionally running to build overall endurance and strength -- but I'm a terrible runner. Also, I have been learning the science of training slowly, as this is much less exciting to me than getting on the bike and riding. But I'm working on understanding some basic principles of training -- like periodization (yawn...)

A couple of inspiring teenage girls convinced me to take a class this spring at our outdoor velodrome, and I'm all giddy at the prospect of racing... of course, I'm YEARS from racing, but....
I'm looking forward to learning better bike handling skills and how to ride in a pack -- which I still don't seem to get since my speed is inconsistent.

Most importantly, I am just filled with joy to be back on a bike, and I'm cycling in a way I never have before. I feel so absolutely elated every day to wake up and get on my bike -- and truly blessed to be in the company of some amazing biker women! Look for posts from me in the coming weeks seeking answers to some of those 'science of training' questions, and I'll look to see that you are all welcoming the spring with more time on the road!!

MM

goddess1222
03-06-2003, 09:17 AM
YES NW MEG YOU MUST GO TO THE VELODROME. i looooooove velodrome racing. just a spectator for now, hopefully i will race soon.

meg, you and i are lucky. there are only 19 velodromes in the u.s. and we are close to one. we have some great racing down here at our velodrome. check it out this spring. you will love it. and it is sooo exciting. LOTS of single men too. i am thinking we should invite our sister MissLiz up for a visit during our alpenrose challenge in july. the ratio is in our favor.

where is the velodrome in washington? is it in everett? i forget.

IronHorse213
03-07-2003, 06:37 AM
HI NW Meg!

Thanks for your reply! I'm delighted to hear about your riding and I'm right there with you on the joy of being on two wheels! After my first ride this year (on the first warm day in NY) I just thought I was going to burst from having too much fun! I'm hoping to bike to work too, since there now is a coastal greenway route down the side of Manhattan Island, but that will have to wait until it's a little warmer out.

I look forward to future reports and swapping ride stories with ya - spin a bit for me,

'calla
Iron Horse warrior:D

Susan126
03-07-2003, 02:53 PM
This forum really helps me get motivated It's been so hard for me to get on my bike, as our weather here in the pacific NW has been well .... terrible. Raining and cold and windy! BUT all I have to do is come here and read a few of your posts and I'm out the door dragging my husband with me! Last weekend we had two rides to lead. On Saturday we had a mountain bike ride to lead for the mountain bike club we belong to and on Sunday we told a bunch of our road friends that we would lead a road ride. WELLLLLLLL.....Saturday, if you can remember, was GORGEOUS! It was our last really nice day. No problem that day getting out the door and on my bike. We had a great time and a huge turn out, naturally. Sunday was a different story. It was very wet, windy, and chilly. When I got up that morning I remember looking out the window and thinking, "This stinks!" But I made my coffee turned on my computer and started reading some of the posts on this forum. Well, after 30 minutes I was in my bedroom shaking the lump underneath the blankets and told that disgruntled lump ..... "It's time to road ride!" We didn't have the huge turnout like we had on Saturday, one lonely rider showed up .... another gal! And the three of us headed off in the rain and did a 40 miler! After we finished we shared congratulatory hand slaps and decided to celebrate by driving to the Starbucks one block away where we sat for 1 1/2 hours and talked. It turned out to be a great day after all! So thanks for posting all of your wonderful encouragements. I may not post often but I am out here reading them all!
Tomorrow it's road riding and Sunday a mountain bike ride! Let the rain come! I'm ready! :)

Sue

PS .... I really do need to get out regardless of the weather. I have two events that I'm training for. So keep the encouragements a coming! thx! :D

MM_QFC!
03-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Hiya Sue,
Good for you - getting out and riding on both days last weekend! I rode to and from the Bike Expo but didn't venture out on Sunday (when I bag it on nasty weather days and do an exercise walk around Edmonds instead, I rationalize that it's cross-training ;)
Took a day off on Tuesday and unfortunately got run off the road by an elderly driver about 5 miles from finishing. I'm still sore all over but no serious injuries to me or my bike thankfully. The 86 yr old driver had some 'splainin' to do' to the Seattle cop who was behind him, saw him cross Lk Washington Blvd into the northbound lane...in short, saw the whole thing. I waved and yelled but saw, at the last minute, that he wasn't going to turn that damn car away from me, so I dove onto the grass and luckily my bike came with me - unscathed. At least my bike didn't need a long hot soak and "vitamin I" (ibuprofen) like I did that night!
Oh, well...it's figuring to be a sloppy weekend this time too. You planning to ride? Remind me again what you're training for? I think the STP, right? what else?
I sent you a PM here after Chilly Hilly since I was sorry to miss meeting up with you, and didn't want to bore everyone on here anymore.
Keep smiling!
Mary

Susan126
03-08-2003, 06:27 AM
How scary for you! That would have to be the most terrifying thing. To see a car closing in on you! I hope I will never have to experience that feeling! My hubby was hit by a car when we were first married about 25 years ago. We had us a pair of Raleigh 3 speeds and we were out doing our Sunday ride when Joe continued straight through a four way intersection and this car took a right ..... right into my husband and in front of my eyes! He was hurt pretty badly too. That was the last time we ever rode until 1999 when we decided to give it a try again. Of course our kids came along shortly after that incident too. But it was really hard for him to get back on. We are so careful now. We figured that the cars are definitely not paying attention to us so we better do a better job of watching out for ourselves. And it's been 4 years now and some close calls but we are doing great. I hope you are feeling better Mary! And I hope that cop gave that older person a ticket and a severe reprimand. I'm sorry I didn't get your PM. That yahoo account of mine gets over 80 messages a day and I swear I miss so many. I will send you my regular e-mail address. I want to hear how it went for you on the Chilly Hilly. I just ordered Joe's and my photo from that marathon company. LOL I'm going to collect a few of them and make a montage to hang in our computer or rec room.

I'm looking out my window right now and trying to decide if we should ride?! :confused: My outside thermometer says 42 and King5 News is saying rain off and on ..... still snowing in the passes. I'm sure glad I don't have to drive over them today. My son will be going to Eastern in Cheney this fall. I told him last night that if it's snowing like this he better stay put! I also hear there's great road riding over there! :)

I'll send you a PM with my personal home e-mail address Mary.

Are you going to ride this weekend?

Sue

MM_QFC!
03-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Achy all over but surely the luck o' the Irish was with me on this one!
While the cop stopped the errant driver, a cyclist who had been riding in the opposite direction was kind enough to stop and check on how I was. The cop came back and offered to give me a lift back to my car; I eagerly accepted, realizing that I was a bit shook up and it was wiser to just call it a day. I cancelled post-ride plans (Fat Tuesday out here, missliz!) and soaked and rested instead.
Ready to ride again f'sure!

snapdragen
03-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Hi Ladies,

Not a full time poster, but I appreciate all the great advice I read.

I finally went in for a bike fit, and he raised my saddle almost 1.5 inches! This weekend I went on a 40 mile ride, kinda hilly, and not even halfway through I thought I was going to drop.

I understand I'm using muscles I haven't been using (hams and butt) but (no pun intended!) this was really hard! We ended up dropping the seat about 1/2 an inch. I did finish the ride, but not a happy camper!

My concern is this, the guy who did my fit is an ex-racer. I am not and will never be a racer, more of a recreational rider who likes to do metric centuries etc. Would his "racer mentality" ( I don't mean that in a bad way) cause him to fit me how he thinks I should ride as opposed to what would be comfortable for me?
Currently I'm training for a 7 day charity ride, and I really want to get this fit thing dialed in.

missliz
03-10-2003, 08:39 PM
The more you ride and more bike fit you are, the higher you prefer the saddle. You spin more efficiently. But if it hurts...
Ride for a while with the saddle where it is now, would that be an inch higher? I see too many people riding with the saddle way too low, and not only is this inefficient but not too swell for the knee. Once you're used to it, try scooching it up a bit at a time. That inch and a half seems like a big change, but over the long term it's probably better. You need to work on your spin tecnique, I know because 1- we all do, it's never good enough and 2- you'd already have raised your seat because it was probably too low to ride easy and would have driven you nuts. This guy knows you don't race, and I bet he didn't give you the full pro fit.
Keep your mind open to the idea of another seat raise later, although you may not wind up at exactly where he put it. You'll know where it's right. It doesn't matter if you race or tour, the same rules of proper fit and good form apply. You'll ride those t shirt meets much stronger. Just take some shorter rides, get used to it, your spin will probably improve some automaticly. If your back hurts, you need to hit the floor and crunch every day. Stregthening the pelvic floor muscles will help. If all else fails, raise the stem. Too low a seat will eventually trash your knees.

missliz