PDA

View Full Version : Ah the Thanksgiving leftovers

AlwayzOnDaMove
12-01-2008, 01:30 PM
What do you do with your Thanksgiving leftovers? I'm still nibbling on mines. Usually make soup or sandwiches with my leftovers. Here is one recipe...

Sesame Thai Turkey Salad

http://turkey2008.skyworld.com/images/recipes/big_43.jpg

1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp. Soy Sauce
2 tbsp. Asian (toasted) sesame oil
1 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. grated orange peel
2 tsp. crushed dried red hot chilies

Salad
About 4 cups bite-size pieces skinned, cooked turkey
2 large (about 1/2 lb. total) carrots, shredded
1 large (about 1/2 lb.) red or green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup roasted, salted peanuts
1/4 cup thinly sliced dried apricots
Napa cabbage leaves, rinsed and crisped
Whole green onions, ends trimmed (optional)
Peeled orange slices (optional)

1.In a small bowl, stir together vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, orange peel, and chilies to make dressing.

2.In a large bowl, combine turkey, carrots, bell pepper, sliced green onions, peanuts, apricots, and dressing; mix well.

3.On 4 to 6 salad plates or 1 platter, arrange cabbage leaves, then spoon turkey salad equally onto leaves; garnish with whole green onions and orange slices

spokewench
12-01-2008, 02:14 PM
I eat them as is; i.e. mashed potatoes gravy turkey dressing; then I freeze the rest of the turkey and make various things from it.

One of the best is turkey enchiladas.

corn tortillas
chopped sweet onions
diced green chiles
turkey meat
extra sharp cheddar cheese
enchilada sauce (of your choice) I like Hatch Medium hot

Fry corn tortilla in canola oil till soft
roll turkey meat, onions, chiles, cheddar cheese and a little sauce (Spoonful) in each tortilla
Place in a row in a glass baking pan
cover with remaining enchilada sauce
put a small amount of cheese over the top and

cook at 350 for about 30-45 minutes.

Make rice and beans on the side and yummy!

BleeckerSt_Girl
12-01-2008, 02:26 PM
We are not avid turkey fans in our family. We always have twin roast chickens with all the 'fixin's' for Thanksgiving and usually again at Christmas too (by popular demand) and finding ways to use leftover chicken is easy. :D

Yesterday I removed the last of the meat from all the bones, and wound up with 3 ziplock sandwich bags full of yummy chicken meat bits.
With one I made a big pot of chicken noodle soup (had that last night for dinner, and it's good for another meal yet).
I froze the second bag for making chicken soup with maybe a few weeks from now on some cold winter's day.
The third bag I am adding to wild rice tonight for dinner, with a bit of Chinese sauce and some stir fired bok choy on the side.
Roast chicken....mmmmmm......

MomOnBike
12-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Ah, leftovers, the reason for Thanksgiving.

Sadly, I have no leftovers this year, :( DH & I traveled to family for the big event. :)

That said, the usual turkey stock, made with the carcass (lots of meat left on the bones, no matter what) to be made into soups. And there are so many good soups that start with a rich stock. {sigh}

As for the meat, turkey soup, turkey tacos, turkey pot pie, turkey sandwiches, all sorts of things. That salad looks good, too. BTW, I have found that putting the leftover meat , in meal-sized portions, into plastic bags and freezing them is a good way to store the leftovers for a while.

On a side note, big sisters can tease younger brothers named Kirk unmercifully about roast Kirky, etc. Especially when parents have been a bit slow in getting the turkey. Not that I would know anything about that. . .:D

Zen
12-02-2008, 09:56 AM
No leftovers for me either.
So I went out an bought a big turkey breast to roast :p

gnat23
12-03-2008, 08:22 AM
I was wondering if there's a huge sale on turkeys post-Thanksgiving. I also don't have leftovers, so was thinking of roasting up a small bird to get me through...

-- gnat! (also, more stuffing!)

Pax
12-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Brought the last of the leftovers for lunch today. About a half ounce of turkey, half cup of stuffing, with a thimble full of gravy...and it's all mine!! :D

AlwayzOnDaMove
12-03-2008, 09:19 AM
One of the best is turkey enchiladas.

Here is another enchilada recipe for you... Garlic Lovers Turkey Enchiladas

2 cups (12 oz. to 1 lb.) shredded or coarsely chopped cooked turkey
2 cups Garlic Lover's Salsa
2 cups (about 8 oz.) Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 cup Pre Stirred Low Fat Lemon Yogurt
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed hot chili flakes
6 flour tortillas (each about 8 in. in diameter)
6 large pitted ripe black olives, halved lengthwise
Note: Lemon yogurt in the filling may seem unusual, but it contributes a subtle citrus accent and creamy texture.

1.In a large bowl, combine turkey, 1 cup of the salsa, 1 cup of the cheese, yogurt, cilantro, cumin, and hot chili flakes to taste.

2.Spoon a sixth of the turkey mixture down center of each tortilla; roll to enclose. Lay filled tortillas, seam side down, in an oiled 8- by 12-in. baking pan. Top enchiladas with remaining 1 cup salsa and 1 cup cheese.

3.Bake, uncovered, in a 400° oven until cheese is bubbly and enchiladas are heated through (about 25 minutes). Top each enchilada with 2 olive halves.