PDA

View Full Version : TE-DC Christmas lunch/brunch in Frederick?

divingbiker
11-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Is anyone up for meeting some weekend for lunch and Christmas shopping in Frederick? I don't know anything about it, so Kalidurga or Zen would have to guide us on where to go, but I remember a nice historic section with good restaurants and fun shops from a previous visit.

Any weekend day up to Christmas is fine with me...my calendar is wide open, because I have no life.

Zen
11-30-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm busy next Saturday :o but free otherwise.

Velobambina
11-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Frederick is a hike for me, and yes, I readily admit to being a big baby who hates driving outside the beltway. :o That said, I would love to attend and meet everyone. If my schedule permits, I'll try to make it.

Zen
11-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Frederick is a hike for me,
It strikes me as odd when people say this.
Sometimes it's from people who have traveled the world.

Get your butt up here.

Velobambina
11-30-2008, 11:48 AM
It strikes me as odd when people say this.
Sometimes it's from people who have traveled the world.

Get your butt up here.

LOL, my world travels were when I was younger and they were required for work. My daily commute to Dulles is misery enough, so I am loathe to get in the car on weekends!

If I'm free the day yinz select, I promise that I'll try. ;)

HillSlugger
11-30-2008, 12:08 PM
I start to hyperventilate when I need to cross the river into NoVA! ;) Frederick? Sure! When? Where?

7rider
11-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Frederick??? Maybe we can get some PA folks in!
Okay, as long as I don't have to cross the river, I guess! :p:rolleyes:
I can't make the weekend of the 5th, but the other weekends should be open.
Better PM K. She's probably huddled under some blankies keeping warm and not thinking about cycling or TE right about this time of year (oh...and inventory).

Kalidurga
11-30-2008, 01:28 PM
I was actually out and about on this crappy day, working my way down my Christmas gift list up in, of all places, Frederick. Inventory's not until the end of January, but I am working every Saturday from now until the end of December. Would a Sunday work for everyone?

There are definitely some good restaurants in Frederick, but I don't know anything specifically about brunch options. I'll ask over at the FrederickMarylandOnline forum.

divingbiker
11-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Frederick is a hike for me, and yes, I readily admit to being a big baby who hates driving outside the beltway. :o That said, I would love to attend and meet everyone. If my schedule permits, I'll try to make it.

Maybe you can drive partway or take the metro and carpool with the Montgomery County contingent. Hate to see you have a wreck because you start hyperventilating on 270...

7rider
11-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Would a Sunday work for everyone?

Not Sunday the 21st.

divingbiker
11-30-2008, 03:17 PM
OK, so our options are December 7 and 14. I'd prefer the 14th. Does that work for everyone?

Zen
11-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Put me down for the 14th.

Kalidurga
11-30-2008, 05:03 PM
I can do either the 7th or 14th.

HillSlugger
11-30-2008, 05:19 PM
I can probably do either but the 7th might be a little bit better (no kids).

Zen
11-30-2008, 05:50 PM
We're gonna go to a strip club, get drunk, then get tattoos.
Best if the kids stayed home.

I'm going to a party on the 6th but I suppose I could do the 7th.
Better make that lunch instead of brunch.

7rider
11-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Can't do the 7th.
Can most likely do the 14th.

Velobambina
12-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Maybe you can drive partway or take the metro and carpool with the Montgomery County contingent. Hate to see you have a wreck because you start hyperventilating on 270...

That would be great! I'd be glad to contribute fork over some $$$ for petrol (anything to keep me off 495 & 270).

The 14th would probably work for me. I'll pass on the strip club but I'm in for a tattoo.

divingbiker
12-01-2008, 05:54 AM
I'll pass on both the strip club and the tattoo. But it looks like December 14 is the day. Now we just have to figure out where we're going...

7rider
12-01-2008, 06:22 AM
I'll pass on both the strip club and the tattoo. But it looks like December 14 is the day. Now we just have to figure out where we're going...

Well, cool.
That means getting drunk is still on the table! :D

HillSlugger
12-01-2008, 06:40 AM
Well, cool.
That means getting drunk is still on the table! :D

If we get drunk we might end up on the table!

7rider
12-01-2008, 07:52 AM
If we get drunk we might end up on the table!

Well.
Maybe you! ;)

Kalidurga
12-01-2008, 08:11 AM
No responses yet over at the Frederick forum. I'm assuming that we want to stay within the historic district, so here are a few options:

Here are brunch menus for Acacia (http://www.acacia129.com/items.php?menu=11) and Firestone's (http://www.firestonesrestaurant.com/Brunch.pdf). I've never eaten at either but have heard both are good.

Cafe Nola (http://www.cafe-nola.com/), which is a very hip coffee shop/cafe/bar, apparently also has brunch. I've had lunch there a few times and it's been fairly good. They have good tea and I've heard that their coffee is excellent (Illy brand).

There are also places like Brewer's Alley (http://www.brewers-alley.com/) and Isabella's (http://isabellas-tavern.com/) that do very good lunch, if we wanted to shop first, then eat.

If anyone wants to end up on the table, I'd suggest Firestone's or Brewer's Alley. And there are three (three!!) tattoo parlors up at the top of the historic district. Strip joints would require driving, though there is an adult video/magazine shop up near the tattoo parlors ;)

Cataboo
12-01-2008, 08:56 AM
I can check around at work and see what's recommended for Sunday brunch downtown (I have no idea). I'm usually in Virginia on Sundays, so I'm not sure whether I'll be able to make it or not.

Velobambina
12-01-2008, 09:56 AM
OOOOh, I'll bring the design for the tattoo I've been contemplating!

Zen
12-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Brewer's Alley was horrid the last time I was there.
Not too keen on Isabellas, either.
Don't forget That Cuban Place (http://frederickmarylandonline.com/2007/03/18/that-cuban-place-cafe-the-perfect-antidote-to-winter/).
Cacique (http://www.caciquefrederick.com/) never fails me and they have fabulous desserts.

Kalidurga
12-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Huh, I've never had a bad meal at Brewer's Alley, it's actually one of my favorite places in Frederick. I've only eaten at Isabella's once, but it was enjoyable and the idea of tapas is always fun. Haven't tried That Cuban Place or Cacique yet.

Maybe we should choose a place that neither you or I have tried, that way it'll be new for all of us.

Zen
12-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I bet you've never been to the White Star Lunch N Ette :)

Kalidurga
12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Here's a brunch post over at FrederickMarylandOnline (http://frederickmarylandonline.com/2008/12/02/free-for-all-brunch/). We can watch the responses to that for ideas. And we do, of course, need to bear in mind whether or not the place can handle vegan options.

Hmmm... Wonder why I'm hungry all of a sudden... :rolleyes:

Zen
12-02-2008, 09:54 AM
You think you're hungry now?
Take a look at this (http://www.bavarianinnwv.com/brunch.shtml).
And only $20.00

7rider
12-02-2008, 10:14 AM
You think you're hungry now?
Take a look at this (http://www.bavarianinnwv.com/brunch.shtml).
And only $20.00

Sweet! Unlimited Bloody Mary's after 1 for $8! Gotta get your vegetables somehow, right??? ;)

I think we'd need a head-count soon as we'd likely need a reservation for a brunch place so close to the holiday.

So...count off.

Me.

Kalidurga
12-02-2008, 10:19 AM
7rider + Me = 2

divingbiker
12-02-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm in, and hoping there'll be vegan options. I'm thinking lunch might be better, because unless they serve bagels or hash browns or oatmeal, there aren't a lot of vegan options on the breakfast side of things.

Zen
12-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Make it 4
(the 14th, yes?)

amithereyet
12-03-2008, 08:40 AM
As long as I don't have to cycle on any hills to get to the restaurant, I'm in.

Zen
12-03-2008, 12:58 PM
AMI?
Really?
That's fabulous!
Are you going to carpool or drive all the way to Fredrock?

The great thing about this ride is there is no ride-
just eat, drink, and be merry :D

Possegal
12-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Are new folks welcome? I've yet to make a local gathering, but maybe one where I don't have to show how slowly I ride is a good way to start. :)

7rider
12-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Are new folks welcome? I've yet to make a local gathering, but maybe one where I don't have to show how slowly I ride is a good way to start. :)

Of course!
I think this would be a wonderful way for you to introduce yourself and say "hi!"

Zen
12-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Are new folks welcome?
No, go away;)
Of COURSE!
One more person to talk about after you go home ;);)

Kalidurga
12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm in, and hoping there'll be vegan options. I'm thinking lunch might be better, because unless they serve bagels or hash browns or oatmeal, there aren't a lot of vegan options on the breakfast side of things.

Did you get a chance to look at the menus of any of the places Zen and I linked? I had lunch at Cafe Nola again today, and forgot to ask if their brunch was vegan. I did notice that they had a tofu scramble on the regular breakfast menu, though.

divingbiker
12-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Did you get a chance to look at the menus of any of the places Zen and I linked? I had lunch at Cafe Nola again today, and forgot to ask if their brunch was vegan. I did notice that they had a tofu scramble on the regular breakfast menu, though.

Looks like Cafe Nola is the most vegan-friendly (that is, they're the only place that actually has vegan food on the menu) but I could probably come up with something at any place (other than the Bavarian Inn--sorry, Zen).

Zen
12-04-2008, 07:10 AM
I know - what a meat-fest!
Oh, those wacky Germans :p

7rider
12-04-2008, 07:53 AM
(other than the Bavarian Inn--sorry, Zen).

Well....there go the Bloody Marys.....:(:( ;)

Kalidurga
12-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Well, considering that Bavarian Inn is in Shepherdstown, it's probably not a great choice anyway. That'd be a long walk from shopping to brunch.

Frederick's got places I consider favorites and other places that I've been curious to try, so I'll be happy with whatever spot y'all pick. Does anyone have any preference, or shall we put all the restaurant names in a hat?

And have we talked at all about what time we want to meet for this?

Zen
12-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Well, considering that Bavarian Inn is in Shepherdstown, it's probably not a great choice anyway.

Oh, I just threw that in there so you could see the menu. I never intended it as an actual option.

I look at that menu the way I used to look at the Sears Christmas Catalogue :D

HillSlugger
12-05-2008, 05:05 AM
I'm not going to be able to make the brunch. Too much going on family-wise on that Sunday. :( When you talk about me, please be kind. ;)

aicabsolut
12-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Man, Frederick is so far away....

divingbiker
12-05-2008, 11:11 AM

You're welcome to carpool...

Velobambina
12-05-2008, 12:44 PM

We're in the minority on this one, girl. Maybe there can be another get together in the city, somewhere close to a metro stop, after the New Year.

aicabsolut
12-05-2008, 04:11 PM
It's more about the getting up early and/or just making the trek. This is the off-season. I sleep in and ride from my door. ;)

We have our "holy day of team obligation" ride the day before, so the hand-holding for new recruits may continue onto that Sunday anyway. We need to get more people showing up to rides.

HillSlugger
12-05-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm not going to be able to make the brunch. Too much going on family-wise on that Sunday. :( When you talk about me, please be kind. ;)

Michele's trip has been canceled. I can come! Please disregard previous message.

My I ask, though, why Frederick?

withm
12-05-2008, 05:02 PM
oh it's soooo tempting to go over for shoppin in Frederick.... If you wander into the Brass Anchor, tell them I said hi!

I have a house guest coming here that weekend, and concert tix for Sat night so ..... as someone else said, if you have to talk about me, be nice. :)

Blue_Wildflower
12-05-2008, 06:05 PM
We're in the minority on this one, girl. Maybe there can be another get together in the city, somewhere close to a metro stop, after the New Year.

I hope so. Its been years since I've been to Frederick.

Maybe Gallery Place which is Red & Yellow line friendly. There is always Old Town Alx or Arlington. I guess someone can organize a N. Va one for next month.

It looks like it will be a goodtime.

Zen
12-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Frederick is the new Georgetown :D

Velobambina
12-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Frederick is the new Georgetown :D

What are you smokin'? :p

Kalidurga
12-06-2008, 02:34 AM

It's the allure of the C&O. The more you ride it, the more you want to spend time in places like Frederick. ;)

And saying that Frederick is the new Georgetown isn't such a stretch, that seems to be what they're aiming for downtown these days. Heck, the town's now got a chef who cut his teeth in DC: Bryan Voltaggio (http://www.voltrestaurant.com/aboutbiographiesbryan.htm) (at whose restaurant they apparently make Bloody Marys from scratch, whatever that means).

Frederick wants to be Georgetown on Market Street, and Rockville everywhere else. Like Leesburg.

divingbiker
12-06-2008, 03:00 AM
Michele's trip has been canceled. I can come! Please disregard previous message.

Glad you can come!

And as to why Frederick, the idea of a non-cycling get-together was Zen's, so it seems fair that we not make her drive the entire distance to DC, and I certainly can't think of a fun place to shop in, say, Gaithersburg or Rockville.

If someone wants to organize another lunch in DC for the new year, that would be cool.

Velobambina
12-06-2008, 04:28 AM
There seem to be a lot of Georgetown or Old Town wannabees. Warrenton, Leesburg, Frederick, etc. Whatever makes the community nicer and has a "community" feel, which there is a dearth of here.

It'll be probably good to wait until after the Inauguration to do something in the city. Although having the bars open all night sounds like it would appear to those wild Maryland gals. ;)

Zen
12-06-2008, 05:50 AM
Especially me. Goin' to the Big City is a big whoop-dee-do. Yee Haw!!

aicabsolut
12-06-2008, 01:40 PM
There seem to be a lot of Georgetown or Old Town wannabees. Warrenton, Leesburg, Frederick, etc. Whatever makes the community nicer and has a "community" feel, which there is a dearth of here.

Yeah, i agree, unless we can do it around a holiday. I did a turkey day morning ride (not early, like 10am), and I have never made it through Georgetown so fast! It was completely deserted, and awesome.

Zen
12-06-2008, 08:58 PM
as someone else said, if you have to talk about me, be nice. :)

Well...OK ;)

Zen
12-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Ann is coming and I thought I'd meet her at Bike Doctor.
I can take five passengers in the Mothership if you all want to go downtown in one vehicle.

divingbiker
12-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Ann is coming and I thought I'd meet her at Bike Doctor.
I can take five passengers in the Mothership if you all want to go downtown in one vehicle.

Who all is coming? Besides Ann and Zen, there's Kalidurga, 7rider, Possegal, MDHillslug, and me for sure, right? So we all won't fit in the mothership but maybe meeting at Bike Doctor would work best.

What time are we meeting?

HillSlugger
12-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Where are we eating and when do we need to be there?

I can do a pick up from the Shady Grove metro if anyone wants to commute up with me.

Kalidurga
12-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Where are we eating and when do we need to be there?

If there's going to be a half dozen or so of us, should we choose a place and make a reservation? Or do we want to just wing it and scope out menus as we're walking up and down the street?

Glad you can make it, Nicole!

7rider
12-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I think I'd prefer to have a definitive "start" time - i.e., reservations for some place to brunch and munch first, then waddle, er, walk off our holiday feast by checking out whatever the fine metropolis of Fredneck has to offer. If we meet at Bike Doc first, then so be it...but let's have a time to get the party rolling. That give folks an idea of when to arrive, too.
What of our choices had vegan options? Can we see who can take a party of 8 at 1 p.m.? ....does that sound reasonable?

And, yes, I'd totally support a post-holiday/1/20/09 get-together at a more transit-friendly, centrally located D.C. venue, too. I'm sure we can entice more for that, too!

Velobambina
12-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Maybe the Sunday of President's Day weekend?

divingbiker
12-08-2008, 01:49 AM

Yeah, right, along with 4 million of our closest friends.

Kalidurga
12-08-2008, 02:37 AM
What of our choices had vegan options? Can we see who can take a party of 8 at 1 p.m.? ....does that sound reasonable?

Has anyone got any preferences from the links that Zen and I posted? I'm happy to make a couple of phone calls today to ask about dietary options and reservations, but I don't know if I'd have time to call 6 or 7 places. Can we narrow it down a bit, or does someone want to split info-gathering duties with me?

And, yes, I'd totally support a post-holiday/1/20/09 get-together at a more transit-friendly, centrally located D.C. venue, too. I'm sure we can entice more for that, too!

Does someone want to begin another thread for a TE-closer-to-DC Post-Inaugural get-together?

Velobambina
12-08-2008, 03:18 AM
Yeah, right, along with 4 million of our closest friends.

?????

President's Day is in February. It's never attracted that many people to DC, what's changed this year?

Kalidurga
12-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Maybe Janice was thinking of Inaugural Day weekend...?

divingbiker
12-08-2008, 05:56 AM
Maybe Janice was thinking of Inaugural Day weekend...?

I mixed up Martin Luther King day and Presidents Day. Sorry. Yeah, I think a separate thread should be started for the later lunch date.

Tam, I don't think any calls need to be made. Just pick a place and I'll make do.

HillSlugger
12-08-2008, 06:07 AM
Can we see who can take a party of 8 at 1 p.m.? ....does that sound reasonable?

I thought we were talking brunch and not lunch so I was figuring something more like 11 or noon. What's the consensus?

Kalidurga
12-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Tam, I don't think any calls need to be made. Just pick a place and I'll make do.

Who's picking? Me? Zen? Any votes from anyone who checked out restaurant menus?

Or are we going with my suggestion to put all the restaurant names in a hat? ;)

Zen
12-08-2008, 06:33 AM
we won't have any problem finding a place to eat.
Let's live dangerously and wing it.

I'll try to remember to ask Brian the next time I go visit my bike. He used to be vegetarian (though not vegan) and he lives downtown.

I thought we were talking brunch and not lunch so I was figuring something more like 11 or noon. What's the consensus?

Yeah, I was thinking 11-12 too.

Possegal
12-08-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm in for the lunch if we are starting by noonish, as I'm supposed to be somewhere else by 4. Not that I usually have more than one thing on a weekend day, normally I'm quite boring actually. :)

7rider
12-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Okay....so let me throw something out here....
How about Firestone's at noon?
Notice this on their menu: 18%gratuity for parties of six or more. Separate checks with advanced notice.
What are we up to? 8? If we want to do separate checks, KaliD., would you like to call and check on availability (since you volunteered to call)?

divingbiker
12-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Okay....so let me throw something out here....
How about Firestone's at noon?
Notice this on their menu: 18%gratuity for parties of six or more. Separate checks with advanced notice.
What are we up to? 8? If we want to do separate checks, KaliD., would you like to call and check on availability (since you volunteered to call)?

I called, and they're closed today. The guy who answered said he didn't think they had any vegan food, but I should call back tomorrow and ask the chef. So before we settle on Firestone's, I'd at least like to find out if there's anything I can eat.

Zen
12-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Sit tight and let me ask around

Kalidurga
12-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Ok, made three phone calls:

Acacia (http://www.acacia129.com/items.php?menu=11) is closed today. The menu lists a fruit plate and a citrus sald, but I'll try them again tomorrow just for the heck of it.

Cafe Nola (http://www.cafe-nola.com/) has a dish of quinoa cabbage rolls that's vegan, as well as an accommodating vegetarian/vegan-sympathizer chef. They prefer groups of our size to make a reservation.

Cacique (http://www.caciquefrederick.com/menus.html) has veggie fajitas that qualify as vegan, and they would also want a reservation to be made.

divingbiker
12-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Ok, made three phone calls:

Acacia (http://www.acacia129.com/items.php?menu=11) is closed today. The menu lists a fruit plate and a citrus sald, but I'll try them again tomorrow just for the heck of it.

Cafe Nola (http://www.cafe-nola.com/) has a dish of quinoa cabbage rolls that's vegan, as well as an accommodating vegetarian/vegan-sympathizer chef. They prefer groups of our size to make a reservation.

Cacique (http://www.caciquefrederick.com/menus.html) has veggie fajitas that qualify as vegan, and they would also want a reservation to be made.

Thanks, Tam. Which of these places did you like best?

Kalidurga
12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
The only one of those I've been to is Cafe Nola and I've recently become addicted to their grilled cheese sandwich and pumpkin ginger soup. Nola's kind of the new "hot, hip place" in Frederick, though the owners have had a presence downtown for a while through their old place, Downtime Cafe.

Zen mentioned Cacique as one of her favorites. Both it and Acacia have been in Frederick for a while, and both are mentioned frequently over at the FrederickMarylandOnline blog as excellent spots.

We probably wouldn't go wrong with any of the three, really. So, are we now aiming for noon for chow time? That would mean meeting between 11:30-11:45 to give time to get downtown, get parked, and wander to wherever we're going.

Zen
12-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Cacique also has great desserts...:rolleyes:

Last Saturday I ate three desserts :D tiramisu, cheesecake, and chocolate mousse

And I still have room for more...

divingbiker
12-08-2008, 04:25 PM

snort!

Zen
12-08-2008, 04:53 PM
OK, here's some more options-
http://thebikesite.org/index.php?topic=2692.0

divingbiker
12-09-2008, 05:17 AM
The Orchard's menu looks great to me. Also Cafe Nola would be good. Seems like unless we want to go ethnic (Ethiopian, Indian) then the others are not very veg-friendly.

Edit: Looks like I could be happy at Cacique also...I can make a lunch of guacamole. (Actually I think I've been there before).

And the person who asked on that board what kind of vegetarian is going--one who eats meat, or not--must be smoking something.

Kalidurga
12-09-2008, 08:13 AM
The Orchard is the first place I thought of to suggest, but they're closed on Sundays.

I just called Acacia. The citrus salad and fruit plate are the only vegan offerings on their menu, but apparently their chef is happy to come out and discuss options to accommodate people. They would want us to make a reservation.

So, shall we narrow the choice down a bit?

Cafe Nola (Vegan-sympathizer chef, I've had good meals here)

Cacique (Veggie fajitas, etc, and Zen has had good meals here)

Acacia (Chef happy to accommodate dietary needs, unknown quality aside from a very good reputation)

divingbiker
12-09-2008, 08:34 AM
I'd be happy with any of those three.

Zen
12-09-2008, 09:16 AM
And I can go to Cacique anytime if I want to eat alone:(

Cataboo
12-09-2008, 09:18 AM

I'll go with you some other time to Cacique. I just can't make Sunday the 14th :)

divingbiker
12-09-2008, 10:26 AM

Unless someone doesn't like fajita/enchilada/etc type food, I don't think you need to take Cacique off the table just yet. If it's the place I've been before, it was delicious!

7rider
12-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Well, if Acacia is the ONLY one that no one's been to, shall we throw caution to the wind and take a chance on that? (Just don't blame me if the chef doesn't understand the term "vegan" and it ends up awful!)

Zen
12-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah well, sometimes things turn out awful but life is like that and you never know until you try, eh?

Kalidurga
12-09-2008, 05:10 PM
I'll add a vote for Acacia because reading their menu just now made me very hungry.

Zen
12-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Citrus salad, petit filet, apple crisp w/ice cream.
I'm ready :D

divingbiker
12-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Well, then, sounds like it's Acacia at noon.

How many people are coming, so someone can make a reservation?

And are we meeting at Bike Doctor at 11:30?

Kalidurga
12-10-2008, 04:32 AM
Ann, Zen, DB, 7Rider, Me, Possegal, MDHillSlug = 7. Anyone else planning to brave the trip to far, far away Frederick?

Possegal, does a noon brunch/lunch give you time to get where you need to be by 4:00?

It's a quick trip from Bike Doctor to downtown, so if we plan on meeting at 11:30 that gives folks a little bit of time to run late and then allows for a casual stroll from parking to the restaurant.

HillSlugger
12-10-2008, 06:04 AM
What's the address for Bike Doctor?

Kalidurga
12-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Bike Doctor address & map (http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&q=bike+doctor,+frederick+md&fb=1&cid=0,0,3945470160344248363&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image). Very easy to get to, less than a mile off of 270.

Zen
12-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Factor in ten minutes to go inside Bike Doctor and see my bike :it's beeyooteefull

7rider
12-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Very easy to get to, less than a mile off of 270.

Yeah....except for the fact that we have to go to freekin' FREDERICK!! :eek:

Swoooon.....It's almost as bad as crossing the river. I think I'm already starting to hyperventilate.

Possegal
12-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Yes, noon will work for me, as long as you all don't talk too badly about me if I leave early. :)

Zen
12-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Make it 11:45 and you've got a deal unless you dress funny

Possegal
12-10-2008, 10:52 AM
funny is really in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?
11:45 it is. or at the bike dr at 11:30? is that the plan?

Zen
12-10-2008, 11:32 AM
11:30
Bike Doctor
be there or be not there

Kalidurga
12-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Did anyone call to make a reservation, or should I do that?

7rider
12-11-2008, 04:50 AM
Did anyone call to make a reservation, or should I do that?

I nominate you.

So....11:30 at Bike Doctor, walk to Acacia for a 12 noon brunch.
Is there parking at BD, or on street or....??

Kalidurga
12-11-2008, 05:55 AM
If I understand correctly, the plan is for everyone to park at Bike Dr, then Zen will take a bunch of folks in the Mothership and the rest will pile into one of the other cars for the short trip downtown. Then we can either find street parking for the two cars or go to the parking garage near Market Street and begin strolling. Probably just heading straight for the garage would be easiest.

Edit: Reservation made at Acacia, 12:00 noon on Sunday 12/14 for 7 people. See y'all at Bike Doctor at 11:30!

Zen
12-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Free parking in the decks.
If we park in the Church Street deck we can walk straight out the alley across the street to Acacia.

divingbiker
12-12-2008, 01:40 AM
What about carpooling?

Ann, Nicole, should we meet at Regina's at 10:30? (Not sure how Nicole gets to Frederick from her neck of the woods.)

Also:

Regina, I'll bring your gloves, you bring $30.
Nicole, I'll bring $50, you bring your boots.
Zen, you bring my SheGotBike goodie bag, I'll bring you a surprise.

7rider
12-12-2008, 02:26 AM
What about carpooling?

Ann, Nicole, should we meet at Regina's at 10:30? (Not sure how Nicole gets to Frederick from her neck of the woods.)

Also:

Regina, I'll bring your gloves, you bring $30.
Nicole, I'll bring $50, you bring your boots.
Zen, you bring my SheGotBike goodie bag, I'll bring you a surprise.

Dang, it's going to be an expensive day. I owe Nicole $$ for Iron Girl, too. :(

Sure... 10:30 at my place sounds great! (Actually...maybe we could swing up to Nicole's and pick her up on the way....)

HillSlugger
12-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi,

I'm not going to make it to lunch tomorrow. Michele's mom is in the hospital and is not doing well. I need to be home taking care of my family.

Have a great time. I hope we can get another something planned for after the new year.

Nicole

Zen
12-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Sorry to hear that, take care of things and maybe we'll see you at the easter egg hunt.

Kalidurga
12-14-2008, 04:49 AM
Aw, Nicole, I'm so sorry you can't join us. I hope things go as well as possible for Michele's mom, and for you and your family, as well. Take care.

Possegal
12-14-2008, 07:46 AM
I woke up sick, again, today. Since I know I have it because my co-workers keep bringing it in to work, I didn't want to bring it to any of you. SORRY! But trust me, you don't want this either, it's the cold that doesn't want to go away. UGH.

7rider
12-14-2008, 04:01 PM
We missed you, Posse.

Had a so-so brunch at Acacia's. "Hmmmm...shouldn't a "Wild Mushroom Omelet" actually have...oh...mushrooms in it???" :confused:

But the company was great...
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z85/7rider/Weekend%20activities/IMG_0870.jpg

And the shopping opportunities were ... eclectic...
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z85/7rider/Weekend%20activities/IMG_0871.jpg

Have a wonderful holiday folks...

HillSlugger
12-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Who are the two on the ends?

Michele's mom seems much better this evening since last night's transfusion. She's got her color back, she was joking around, and was able to feed herself. I hope that maybe she's turned the corner.

7rider
12-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Who are the two on the ends?

What...you don't recognize Kalidurga (r)??? ;) (Okay...she's got her hair pulled back).
That's AmIThereYet on the far right.

So glad to hear M's mom is doing better.....

Zen
12-14-2008, 04:23 PM
oops.

I posted over here-
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?p=388163&posted=1#post388163

Zen
12-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I may go back for that tiara...

HillSlugger
12-14-2008, 04:26 PM
What...you don't recognize Kalidurga (r)??? ;) (Okay...she's got her hair pulled back).
That's AmIThereYet on the far right.

So glad to hear M's mom is doing better.....

No, I didn't recognize Tam with her hair that way. Now I'm embarrassed! I guess I need to see you all more often in something other than bike clothes and grunge.

amithereyet
12-14-2008, 05:27 PM
It was fun to see all of you today and meander around Frederick, but where did that all of that grey hair come from? When I left, it was wet and darker.

You'll never believe it: we got into Cracker Barrell tonight. Everyone must have been watching football instead of waiting in line so I could have my requisite 2 orders of green beans

And.....even better yet: I now have an official Camp David tea mug with coaster/steeping lid. Even the Cozy doesn't have one of these, according to my neighbor who makes the glassware for the place. I had no idea that he had this concession as a side business

Zen: The tiara would look great on you as you're tooling around on your new bicycle.

Sending you all health for the holidays.

Zen
12-14-2008, 06:20 PM
And.....even better yet: I now have an official Camp David tea mug with coaster/steeping lid.
Where did you get that?
What did you think of Cracker Barrel?

Zen: The tiara would look great on you as you're tooling around on your new bicycle.
Don't go giving me ideas like that ;)

Thanks for making the drive,Ann. It was good to see everyone and share a memorable meal :D

amithereyet
12-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Zen asked:
Where did you get that (Camp David cup)?

I stopped by a friend's tonight, who served me tea in the mug. He had no idea that we had talked about the Cozy and Camp David earlier. I had no idea that he had a side business that put logos on glassware....including for Camp David, but after laughing about the Cozy Museum, he sent me home with the mug as a gift.

Quote:
What did you think of Cracker Barrel? Great green beans!

Kalidurga
12-15-2008, 02:41 AM
And the shopping opportunities were ... eclectic...

And we didn't even make it into Ecclectibles!

It was a nice day, ladies. Glad you all enjoyed faraway Frederick :D

Zen
12-20-2008, 09:05 AM
I do have the perfect place for my painting which, according to the tag on the back, is called "Feathered Friends"
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/DSC_0110.jpg
Right above the lovely in-wall air conditioner :eek:
Bet you don't have one of those.

7rider
12-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Right above the lovely in-wall air conditioner :eek:
Bet you don't have one of those.

Very nice.

I had one in my old townhouse up in Ipswich MA. Does that count?

I can't help but notice, however, that your computer is NOT showing TE forums. :(

Zen
12-20-2008, 05:56 PM
I had one in my old townhouse up in Ipswich MA.

Why do people do that :confused:
Do they think they can now say they have central air
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

HillSlugger
12-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I assume it's so they don't have to block up a window with the airconditioner.

Zen
12-20-2008, 06:25 PM
But they're UGLY!
At least you can remove them from the window.
I hate it I hate it I hate it!

HillSlugger
12-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Cover it with a picture when it's not in use?

Zen
12-20-2008, 07:43 PM
It sticks out about eight inches from the wall.

I've never found a need to use it up here in the hills, I don't even think it works.

I want to yank it out and put a real window in.

7rider
12-21-2008, 04:11 AM
Why do people do that :confused:
Do they think they can now say they have central air
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Actually, my townhouse had hot water baseboards for heat. Heat was the primary thing there....a.c. was a "need it maybe twice a year luxury" (dang...I miss the ocean). Can't do central air with baseboards...at least, I've never seen it done.

My unit's previous owner, who worked for an airline and travelled a lot, never needed it. I, however, couldn't tolerate that one or two weeks a year when I did need it. Since I had no double hung windows on the lower level, and all the units had the cut-out in the wall, I got one. However, mine was Energy Star rated and more...well...modern looking and didn't have that lovely faux-wood panelling look to it. :rolleyes:;)

A real window would look nice there....and give you something more interesting to look at (other then Feathered Friends) when working on your comupter.

divingbiker
02-08-2009, 02:39 AM

Are any of the Virginia folks going to organize this?

Cataboo
02-08-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm not sure I could make it - but a nice "brunch" on the Virginia side would be China Garden in Rosslyn, definitely metro accessible and you guys could have dim sum.... You can order off the menu (for the vegetarian or vegan?) as well.

It's not the heavy greasy chinese food that you normally associate with a chinese restaurant.

7rider
02-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I can't make Prez Day weekend, but have fun if something pulls together. Take pictures!

Kalidurga
02-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Are any of the Virginia folks going to organize this?

Bueller..? Bueller.....?

Zen
02-10-2009, 08:59 AM
..;)

divingbiker
02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Bueller..? Bueller.....?

I'm such a fuddy duddy that I don't even get it.

HillSlugger
02-10-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm such a fuddy duddy that I don't even get it.

me neither

ny biker
02-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Okay I live in Virginia so I'll bite. Even though I don't think I can make it to brunch on Sunday.

How many people are we talking about here?

What are the requirements for the restaurant? Metro accessible, inside the beltway, certain types of foods that are must-have or must be avoided, ...?

==========
update - now that I've had a chance to read earlier posts on this thread:

The only Cracker Barrels around here are in Manassas and Dumfries. I'm guessing most of you don't want to drive that far. (I love Cracker Barrel.)

Do we want vegan or vegetarian options?

Do we want a location where we can wander around afterwards? Like maybe Old Town Alexandria?

divingbiker
02-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Okay I live in Virginia so I'll bite. Even though I don't think I can make it to brunch on Sunday.

I just made plans for Sunday lunch, but I could make Saturday or Monday (for those feds who have the day off.)

And since I'm vegan I'd prefer not to go to a steak place.:D

Thanks for volunteering, but another weekend might be best since we're only a few days away from the weekend now.

ny biker
02-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Okay. I definitely can't do it Feb 21-22, as I will be entertaining the 'rents that weekend. (And possibly going to Cracker Barrel. They love it more than I do.)

What about Saturday, Feb 28 or Sunday, March 1? According to my calendar, March 1 is St. David's Day in a place they abbreviate as WAL, and Independence Movement Day in a place referred to as KR. In case someone wants a reason to celebrate something...

(Apologies to anyone out there who lives in WAL or KR. I am seriously blanking on those abbreviations.)

Kalidurga
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
I could do 2/28 or 3/1, though the second half of March would work better for me. I have no dietary restrictions and am not prone to complaining about my food ;)

Zen
02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/th_WaffleHouse.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/?action=view&current=WaffleHouse.jpg)

7rider
02-10-2009, 02:33 PM
In case someone wants a reason to celebrate something...
)

Thursday, 2/12, is Darwin's birthday.
Is that a reason to celebrate?? :cool:;)

Oh.
Weekend.
Perhaps a new thread might be in order??

Next few weekends are out for me.

And I don't generally complain about food....unless my "Wild Mushroom Omelet" doesn't come with mushrooms. Then....I might get grouchy.

Cataboo
02-10-2009, 02:40 PM
My birthday's on the 28th. I'm willing to let you guys all have a team estrogen celebration in honor of me & my birthday.

I'm not entirely certain what I'll be doing then, however. Lack of future planning ability.

Zen
02-10-2009, 04:38 PM
And I don't generally complain about food....unless my "Wild Mushroom Omelet" doesn't come with mushrooms.

Those mushrooms were so wild they ran out the door :D

Zen
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
My birthday's on the 28th. I'm willing to let you guys all have a team estrogen celebration in honor of me & my birthday.

I'm not entirely certain what I'll be doing then, however. Lack of future planning ability.

Ride down to Brewer's Alley, I'll buy you a couple of sliders.
You have to ride your bike, though.

Cataboo
02-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Ride down to Brewer's Alley, I'll buy you a couple of sliders.
You have to ride your bike, though.

Will I be able to ride back? :)

I'll see if I'm in town - if all goes well, I should be flying back on the 25th of that week, if things don't, I'll be flying back on the 28th (I hope)

Zen
02-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Sliders are burgers, you know.
I can ride after one light beer but that's my limit :o
They have good root beer, though.

Cataboo
02-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Sliders are burgers, you know.
I can ride after one light beer but that's my limit :o
They have good root beer, though.

A couple of sliders might bloat me to the extent that I don't want to ride back burping up burgers and root beers.

Zen
02-10-2009, 05:51 PM
They're tiny burgers, hence the slider moniker.
That is to say they slide right down.

They're like White Castle burgers.

If you can't make that day make it one Friday, I'll introduce you to some local mountain bikers.
Just don't hit on my invisible boyfriend, Harry.

Cataboo
02-10-2009, 05:53 PM
They're tiny burgers, hence the slider moniker.
That is to say they slide right down.

They're like White Castle burgers.

I've obviously never ordered those the couple times I've been at Brewer's Alley...

And I'm not sure I've ever been to a White Castle...

So we could celebrate my burger/slider education instead.

HillSlugger
02-11-2009, 06:31 AM
I've obviously never ordered those the couple times I've been at Brewer's Alley...

And I'm not sure I've ever been to a White Castle...

So we could celebrate my burger/slider education instead.

You're not missing anything. They are gross!

Zen
02-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Gross?
That's heresy!!!
THEY ARE THE MOST FABULOUS FOODSTUFF EVER !

HillSlugger
02-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Yeah, maybe if you love grease! It's easy to see where the term "slider" came from!

Zen
02-11-2009, 07:53 AM
No, no, no.
It refers to the size of the burger.

Besides, grease keeps me regular :D