PDA

View Full Version : Beaches to Bluegrass Trail

Zen
11-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Or I should say proposed trail.
This would be wonderful. The sad part is, by the time it's become reality I'll probably be too old and crippled to ride.
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/recreational_planning/documents/tr_b2b.pdf

tulip
11-27-2008, 01:37 PM
There is a book called Beaches to Bluegrass about Highway 58 from Chesapeake to Bristol. The 2008 Bike Virginia was on the Bluegrass part.

It would be a great addition to Virginia's trails. There's also the Capital to Capital Trail between Williamsburg and Richmond that is under development.

Zen
11-27-2008, 03:51 PM
There is a book called Beaches to Bluegrass about Highway 58 from Chesapeake to Bristol.

My internet search for that book is what brought me to the site about the trail:D

squirrell
11-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Virginia is about the least bike-friendly state I know of. I'm a native and I'm ashamed of how little my state does to support/encourage cycling. There are few to no trails in the Hampton Roads area and the roads are horribly designed for cars much less bikes.

I'm on the Eastern Shore and rode up into the MD section of the Shore one day and was pleasantly surprised to find very wide shoulders marked "bike trail" on many of the roads or at least nice wide shoulders making it easy to cycle. Cycling from the no shoulder VA section of Rt. 113 into the MD section of what they call Rt. 12 or maybe Rt. 112 (I believe) is like night and day.

tulip
11-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Virginia is about the least bike-friendly state I know of. I'm a native and I'm ashamed of how little my state does to support/encourage cycling. There are few to no trails in the Hampton Roads area and the roads are horribly designed for cars much less bikes.

I'm on the Eastern Shore and rode up into the MD section of the Shore one day and was pleasantly surprised to find very wide shoulders marked "bike trail" on many of the roads or at least nice wide shoulders making it easy to cycle. Cycling from the no shoulder VA section of Rt. 113 into the MD section of what they call Rt. 12 or maybe Rt. 112 (I believe) is like night and day.

I agree about Hampton Roads, but not the whole state. I live in Richmond and while there are not marked bike lanes or paths, the county roads near my house are lovely for riding and I've found drivers polite and considerate (they move over for me). I do alot of riding in the Northern Neck, and enjoy it immensely.

Have you ridden any Bike Virginia rides? They are well-organized and lots of fun and a great way to see different parts of the state (or commonwealth--whatever).

I would love to see Richmond and Hampton Roads take a more active role in planning and constructing bike facilities, though. Hopefully in the coming years, bicycles will be seen as REAL transportation and the transportation planners and policy-makers will build accordingly (not just separte paths, but bike facilites that are integrated into the larger transportation system).

Blue_Wildflower
11-30-2008, 02:33 PM

I am not from here and I am not familiar with the Hampton Roads area. I reside in Alexandria (seven years). Alexandria is making a strong effort to be a certified "Bike Friendly" city by the League of American cyclists. There are lots of bike friendly routes and trails in Northern VA. Based on what I read, VA is really making an effort to create more trails, make their bike routes friendlier and create more routes. For example, there are plans to extend the W&OD trail to the Applachian Trail. In the book Road Biking Virginia, there are forty different rides.

Could some of the routes be safer? Sure. Especially, Route 1. But, I would not call VA unfriendly when it comes to cycling.

KathiCville
12-31-2008, 01:42 PM
I used to live and bike in the Arlington area a decade ago and overall found it to be pretty cycling-friendly. I lived within easy reach of the W&OD Trail AND the Mount Vernon Trail, so was really fortunate to have great access to dedicated trails. I also used to drive out to the Middleburg area and bike the gorgeous roads out there. Plus the Poolesville area in Maryland. I don't remember too many negative encounters with drivers. I didn't commute anywhere by bike, so maybe that's a different experience.

Now I live in the Charlottesville area and find it a little more challenging to bike the roads 'round here. There are plenty of beautiful backroads, but drivers have mixed reactions to cyclists. Most are friendly and polite, but some are downright hostile. I do miss having ready access to something like the W&OD or the Mount Vernon Trail, just for the respite they offer from constantly sharing space with cars and trucks! On the other hand, I wouldn't trade the glories of riding the Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive on a pretty summer Saturday morning for anything! (Including spotting a baby black bear galloping across the road as I rounded a curve....Woohoo!)

I did the Cap to Cap last year for the first time and had a great time. I only rode the 50-mile route, so started in Richmond and didn't do the Jamestown end of the ride. Planning to sign up again this year, and maaaaybeee do the full 100 miles!?! ;) [Edit: I just googled the Cap to Cap to see if the date is set for 2009. It is: May 9. Website says registration details to follow....Join the fun!]

Happy New Year, everybody! :D