PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Ohio

breezy
11-27-2008, 05:14 AM
I moved from upstate New York to Tiffin Ohio this summer and put in 800 miles on the roads around here in 3 months. I spotted fellow cyclists only once, except when I rode the Horizontal Hundred in Findlay.

I visited the downtown Tiffin bike shop yesterday only to be greeted by an elderly woman who was both hard of hearing and totally lacking in any cycling knowledge.

I've searched the web and the NW Ohio bike community seems to be concentrated in the cities that are 1.5+ hrs from here. Two possible exceptions are the Flatlanders club in Fremont (who have not responded to my attempts to join through their website) and the Hancock Handlebars whose events are just a bit farther than I'd like to drive on a regular basis. The club for my county, Seneca County, died in 2006.

If anyone has any experience with the NW Ohio cycling community, I could sure use some guidance. I need to find a good LBS for bike maintenance and a running shop that can help me find the better shoes to keep me from getting shin splints...again.

Thanks.

Thorn
11-27-2008, 06:58 AM
I'm not in Ohio, but did you try the Great Lakes forum on Bike Forums ( http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=233 ). The Great Lakes forum doesn't exhibit the...uh...err...13 year old juvenile behavior that bike forums is known for. While the Chicago area contingent is strongest, Ohio has a representation.

breezy
11-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks Thorn. I will check it out.

OakLeaf
12-07-2008, 06:05 AM
I'm not much help as I'm from Licking County.

But I'm suspecting that one thing you'll need to get used to about exurban Ohio is that things are just farther apart... it's either a drive or a pretty long ride to most stores/events/clubs/etc. I'm surprised that upstate NY is much different. Unfortunately, you've moved to a pretty remote area. Honestly, you may not find a top-notch road bike shop closer than Toledo. :eek:

I might add that our club is run by a VERY small core of volunteers, and website maintenance falls pretty low on the list. I expect that most rural clubs are the same. I too am put off by any organization that requires me to make a phone call, but that may be your best way to go at this time of year (in the spring, the best way to join a club is to just show up at one of their scheduled rides).