PDA

View Full Version : Menstruations vs. bike

Etincelle
05-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Hi,

I am new biker and I have a weird question... I usually road with lycra and chamois... with no underwear. However, during my periods, there is no way that I can do that. The problem is that a tampax is not sufficient... and the pads.. after some km... well you know... it's not confortable!

How do other women manage this once a month period! To add to it, I have just turned 40 last month.. and now... it seems to be almost twice a month...

Bye

Irulan
05-21-2005, 08:14 AM
welcome to perimenopause! I just use super plus tampons and keep riding. A lot of the women here use an internal "cup" device to capture flow. Look in the Tips and Tricks thread under "embarassing questions".

irulan

KSH
06-05-2005, 07:40 PM
My solution... I get the depo shot... and I don't have a period at all. Mind you, I get some spotting here and there, mostly at the end of the shot (get it every 3 months), but it is very slight.

It's so very nice.

NOTE: I am 32, and I use to have a period twice a month myself, I got checked out for all possible issues, and the Dr. told me that is just the way it was going to be. So, I went for the depo shot and problem solved.

Now, if you don't want that, go for the super-plus size, and try to carry an extra so you can change during the ride if you need to.

AutumnBreez
06-05-2005, 09:49 PM
www.divacup.com
Here it is, your search is over....
you can see many testimonies here on the forum (as already told), and also on the site.

I am on my second month, getting hang of it. Good luck- ABCL

Grog
06-06-2005, 07:53 AM
My solution... I get the depo shot... and I don't have a period at all. Mind you, I get some spotting here and there, mostly at the end of the shot (get it every 3 months), but it is very slight.

Instead of DepoProvera, which is usually a shot worth 3-6 months of contraception, I'd strongly suggest discussing with your doctor about taking your pill continuously for 3 months, and then stopping for a week.

I don't think it is accepted in the Canadian guidelines but I'm fairly sure it is in the American ones, and I've heard of a couple of ob-gyn residents that do it for themselves (in Canada), and many doctors will discuss it with you freely.

Although the depo shot does work for many women, great numbers have heavy problems (depression, weight gain, nausea, and more...) with it. The problem is, once it's taken, it's there for months, and so are many of the side effects, while you could just stop taking the pill (Provera exists as regular pills) and stop them as needed.

Other ideas such as the Diva cup or using nothing but your chamois (especially if it is not light-coloured!) if your flow is light have indeed been discussed under the 'embarassing question' thread...

Good luck!

RoadRaven
06-06-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm with Grog on this. I know several women who had considerable negative reactions to DEPO. Travel down that path with caution.

roughingit
06-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Because I cannot swallow pills and am a shot-weinie, I use the Nuvo-ring for birth control. Since I have heavy-painful periods, the doc told me I can just leave it in all month instead of three weeks on and one week off (it has enough hormone in it for the whole month). Now I hardly ever get a period and it doesn't seem to have any noticable side effects.

If I wasn't using the ring, I would totally try the diva cup, but since I need bc as well and the not having much of a period thing is really nice, I think I'll be sticking with this for a while!

smurfalicious
06-06-2005, 04:08 PM
I have an IUD and my periods have gotten super light! Oh sure, I go through pregnancy tests like corn through a goose now seeing as how I used to have super plus periods. Paranoia aside it is nice though, and lasts 5 years. My insurance covered it, but even still the $350 price tag beats monthly birth control. When I got it put in, I was super cramped up for the next day and a half, but it was partially my fault because I forgot to take the 800mg Ibuprofen before hand. Ooops.

Anyway, I've tried that whole cup business, but I just couldn't master it. I've heard sea sponges rock, and they're reusable. Can be cleaned with tea tree oil. I just haven't found any every time I go into wild oats. GRRR!!!!

love and cookies
-smurf

Irulan
06-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I"ve heard the new IUDs are much better than the ones' from 20 years ago. You don't hear much about them now. Pharmacetucial companies must make a lot more from marketing ongoing programs vs. a one time deal.

~I

Technotart
06-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Continuous birth control as opposed to monthly cyclical control is becoming widely accepted in the US. If you are on birth control continuously, you do not build up an endometrial ling and therefore have no need to have a period. This works regardless of whether it is oral or something like the patch or nuva ring. There are some OB/Gyns who are still on the fence, but it is more and more accepted now. That would be the first place I would head. Depo is a great alternatyive for some women - others spot continuously for months on end with it (like me) and that's no fun either! Some docs have you schedule so that you have a period once every three months, others go longer.

I just want to know if there is a non-surgical way to speed up menopause! Or maybe I don't...not looking forward to the hot flashes, but no period would be NICE!

AutumnBreez
06-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Because I cannot swallow pills and am a shot-weinie, I use the Nuvo-ring for birth control. Since I have heavy-painful periods, the doc told me I can just leave it in all month instead of three weeks on and one week off (it has enough hormone in it for the whole month). Now I hardly ever get a period and it doesn't seem to have any noticable side effects.

If I wasn't using the ring, I would totally try the diva cup, but since I need bc as well and the not having much of a period thing is really nice, I think I'll be sticking with this for a while!

The cup is placed closer to the entrance, it is not placed high like a tampon, and would not interrupt your ring for birth control. If you can have sex with the ring, you can use a cup for the week of your period. If you use tampons with the ring in, you will not be interrupting the ring with cup. Q & A on the website is very informative, and you could also contact them with your question if you can not find the question concerning your method. They could use your question it to benefit other persons looking on site.

Special-Kay
06-07-2005, 02:56 AM
I"ve heard the new IUDs are much better than the ones' from 20 years ago. You don't hear much about them now. Pharmacetucial companies must make a lot more from marketing ongoing programs vs. a one time deal.

~I

First of all, there are two major types of IUDs - the hormonal ones and the non-hormonal ones made of copper. In the 70s, there was a brand of copper ones that had a flaw in the way they were made (the Dalcon Sheild I believe) in that the cord that hangs from the IUD itself was made of fibers that collected bacteria. There were some deaths caused be infection as a result of this flaw and they were taken off the market. That's why IUDs are not very popular in the US. The flaw was fixed (they now have a single filiment cord, much like a very fine fishline) and they were put back on the US markets several years ago.

However, they have become the most used form of BC world wide. There are many reasons for this (can you tell I did a lot of research before I got mine?), even including the fact that a woman can be on BC without her spouse knowing. Other reasons of course include the fact that it is a one-time expense (well for several years anyway), etc.

I was hesitant to get one because I had heard that they could increase your cramping and flow. While on the pill, I had very light periods and no cramping. I finally realized that if it didn't work out for me, I'd get it removed. I opted for the copper kind because my goal was to A) not use a hormanal method, and B) not have to have it replaced any time soon. Because I'm in my 40s and my IUD will last 10 years, I won't have to have another form of BC - ever.

I've not experienced much in the way of increased cramps and my flow only increased a bit. One nice thing about that is that while on the pill, my periods were so light that I could hardly ever comfortably use tampons. My flow did increase enought that now I can use them again. Other than that, and some normal hormonal fluctuations that are likely the result of my age, things have remained much the same as they did pre-IUD. I love it and would recommend it to anyone.

One thing to note, insertion was rather difficult and quite uncomfortable for me because I have never given birth. Apparently, it is much easier for women who have had children. Still, the discomfort was brief and well worth it.

roughingit
06-07-2005, 06:58 AM
The cup is placed closer to the entrance, it is not placed high like a tampon, and would not interrupt your ring for birth control. If you can have sex with the ring, you can use a cup for the week of your period. If you use tampons with the ring in, you will not be interrupting the ring with cup. Q & A on the website is very informative, and you could also contact them with your question if you can not find the question concerning your method. They could use your question it to benefit other persons looking on site.

Ooh, thankies! Right now I'm down to a trickle twice a month. I had been on the patch which worked great at first, but then I started bleeding *all* the time (depo did the same thing, except it also gave me wild mood swings and I dreaded going in for the shot). If that starts happening with the ring, I'll definately give the diva a try! I did look on the website, but didn't see anything there about it. As long as it sits lower all should be well though, the ring is up as high as it can go.

smurfalicious
06-07-2005, 10:37 AM
The nuva-rings are soooo awesome! I am terrible about taking pills, both the remembering and the swallowing. I dug that if you kinda forgot the last week, that it actually had enough hormone for the fourth week. Only reason I quit that is my new fascist health insurance company makes me pay $40 out of pocket every month for a $50 prescription. Ummm, thanks for the help. That would be great if I ever used my insurance for anything else, but after my monthly contribution to the insurance cost, and then the $40 for the ring I was essentially paying $120 a month for birth control. Bwahaha, I showed them! Oh, and I did check, they DO NOT cover rogaine or any of the "erectile dysfunction" meds either. If they did, I'd be really pissed!

love and cookies
-smurf

Special-Kay
06-08-2005, 07:37 PM
A bit off topic, but does anyone else feel slightly uneasy about the way in which women are seem quite happy to accept all kinds of chemicals/ invasive methods of birth control? My husband and I used good old condoms for at least 8 years ( I'm 30) without any accidents. It's just the though of getting an BC injection or an IUD fitted makes me cringe.

Obviously BC in the hands of women is fantastic but should women be demanding less 'traumatic' methods of control?

PS - The Diva Cup/ Keeper totally rocks. :)

Well - many people are not so lucky with condoms and there are some of us who wouldn't even be able to function if we had to worry about the condom failing. That being said, I switched from the pill to an IUD because I no longer wanted to use a chemical/hormonal method of BC. Yes, an IUD is invasive in a way, however, the hour I spent getting it once in 10 years time was well worth it and not a big deal to me in the whole scheme of things. And, being on the pill for 12 years prior to that actually has been shown to lower my chances of getting certain cancers that I would be at higher risk for otherwise since I've never had children. So, my answer is yes and no, I guess.

Hill Slug
06-08-2005, 08:33 PM
For those that absolutely know they do not want to have children there is a minor (in my case it was) surgical procedure.....First, my periods starting getting very heavy about 5 years ago, and I always had to use the maxi maxi tampon in conjunction with a maxi maxi pad just to get through a couple of hours. It was not nice, and I became anemic. I just hated having a period and finally went to my GYN. She suggested a hydrothermal endrometrial ablation. And for us non-medical types, that means they basically flush the uterus with incredibley hot water to scar the lining. With the lining scarred there is no mentrual blood build up, thus no period. I had this done in October, and since then I had a little spotting for a couple of months, then nothing, zip, nada.....According to my GYN, the success rate for no more bleeding is about 50%, lighter bleeding 20%, little change 20%, no change 10%. I was willing to take the 10% no change risk, and am soooooo happy I did. I went in to the OR at about 8:30am, was awake in the recovery room around 10am, and got home by 12noon. I had some cramping, and she gave me vicodin. I only took that for a day or so because I didn't like the way it made me feel. I then took advil. I was only down for like 2 days, 3 at the max. Had to wear a pad for about a week for some of the residual water leakage. Each month I do still have some PMS symptoms - sore boobs, moodiness, etc - but no bleeding. Prior to the surgery I did a blood count, did a pap smear, and an ultrasound to see if there was anything abnormal in there. If there are fibroids, they might have to do it a couple of times. I was clean, and had no problems. Not to say there aren't risks......They could puncture the side of the uterus, which could lead to an infection. The biggest concern to the doc is, this procedure is not reversible......and if you want kids - don't do it.
I'm sure I'm missing something, but ask your dr about it if you're interested. There are a couple of methods for scarring. My dr used the hot water. They can also insert a rod that gets hot to basically cauterize the lining. She said the water was better because it gets into all the nooks and crannies and has a better rate of covering the entire uterus.

Um....well, like I said, I am incredibly happy with my results - I have saved a ton of money by not having to purchase feminine products. And I can ride any time. So....just another alternative.....

alison_in_oh
06-09-2005, 06:44 AM
Obviously BC in the hands of women is fantastic but should women be demanding less 'traumatic' methods of control?

You might enjoy the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

Susan126
06-09-2005, 06:59 AM

It's so very nice.

NOTE: I am 32, and I use to have a period twice a month myself, I got checked out for all possible issues, and the Dr. told me that is just the way it was going to be. So, I went for the depo shot and problem solved.

Now, if you don't want that, go for the super-plus size, and try to carry an extra so you can change during the ride if you need to.

Not to scare you but you should discuss the depo shot with your doctor as it causes severe bone loss.

RoadRaven
06-09-2005, 10:49 AM
A bit off topic, but does anyone else feel slightly uneasy about the way in which women are seem quite happy to accept all kinds of chemicals/ invasive methods of birth control?

Like you, Mighty, I feel incredibly uneasy... and, as one of things I am passionate about and tend to weave into alot of my teaching is; the absence of women in history... then I feel I just have to add a little more than just an agreement with you (where am I going with this you wonder???)

Since women historically have had little control over themselves or access money or education historically (remember, for example, in NZ women got the vote just over 100 years ago - in America it was only some 80 years ago)... well... women have not been in charge or in positions of power to fund research, to head research etc etc... (historically...)

So... to make this all relevant... I wonder if men had periods, and if men could get pregnant, then would there have been more of a focus of less invavsive ways of controlling our cylces and natural rhythms? Ummm... :rolleyes:

(LOL... and while I'm in rant mode... mammogram machine... invented by a man! Lets see... to they have an equivalent machine for an equivalent cancer - testicular? Oh no no no.... :mad: )

Irulan
06-09-2005, 10:55 AM
(LOL... and while I'm in rant mode... mammogram machine... invented by a man! Lets see... to they have an equivalent machine for an equivalent cancer - testicular? Oh no no no.... :mad: )

they sure like to whine about prostate exams...

CorsairMac
06-09-2005, 12:21 PM

actually - I was chatting with my mammo tech one time during that very Lovely procedure about how if men saw what the techs did to us during a mammo....it might change their obsession and she told me - there has been an increase in breast cancer amongst Men in the past 5 yrs! :eek: I asked her how the heck ya do a mammo on a man and she laughed and said it wasn't easy. So, next time you have your mammo done-------just think about trying to have one done if you were a man!

doc
06-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Etincell,
This thread got way off topic. But let me reiterate what a few said.
Diva cup (and the Keeper).
Those are fabulous amazing inventions. Look them up online. Tons of informationt there. You'll never regret it and you'll never buy feminine hygiene products again.

Dianyla
06-09-2005, 05:43 PM
But let me reiterate what a few said.
Those are fabulous amazing inventions. Look them up online. Tons of informationt there. You'll never regret it and you'll never buy feminine hygiene products again.
I'd also like to add a word about the MoonCup, which is produced and sold in the UK but you can buy it online at: http://www.mooncup.co.uk

I used a DivaCup for a year but found it was too long for my body, even though I bought the smaller pre-birth size. For just walking around and hiking it wasn't an issue, but riding on a bicycle with it in place was very unpleasant... I felt like my labia were being very sharply elbowed and pinched (this is after trimming off that evil stem). :eek:

Because I fear latex sensitivity, I decided to try the MoonCup. It as small and flexible as the Keeper, but made of silicone like the Diva. I have no trouble at all riding with the MoonCup in place, it is short enough and very flexible. The Diva I used was made quite stiff, much stiffer than a Keeper. From what I understand the Divas manufactured after April 2004 are now as soft and squishy as the Mooncups/Keepers.

MightyMitre
06-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Etincell,
This thread got way off topic. But let me reiterate what a few said.

Yes - sorry for the digression. Here's a bit of history... the Keeper/ Diva cup concept was actually designed in the 1930's but tampons were invented soon after and for whatever reason, were pushed into the market instead.

I guess since the Keeper is re useable and can last for 10 years if looked after properly, from a retail/profit point of view it's not going to make as much money as tampons which obviously need to be bought every month.

I'm also guessing that women were probably not given a great deal of say in the matter and were therefore had to accept what they were given, at a time when society was totally male orientated.

Errm.. anyway, I was just interested in the way womens lives have developed and the products/options now availalbe to women given that most things seem to have been driven by men.

Rant over - and certainly give the Keeper/ cup a go. I've used the Keeper from the Mooncup website for the last 3 years and can't see myself switching back to tampons. :)

Allie1DukeFn
08-16-2005, 01:55 AM
This is an amazing discussion - even if it did get off topic! You have no idea how many places I've looked for discussions about depo! I started taking it about 10 years ago - and went off it about 5 months ago because I was just sick of not being able to get the weight off! I gained about 30 lbs on it - which from what I understand is actually low for most. I tried everything to get rid of it - and just couldn't.

I went off of it and onto the Jasmine oral pill. So far so good. I've lost 18 lbs so far - and hope to lose 7 more. I still don't really get a period - only a teeny tiny bit of spotting once a month. I was going to ask if I could just stay on it all month instead of taking a month off when I go for my annual - I'm glad someone mentioned that doctor's are becoming more accepting of doing that.

The possible side effects of doing depo for so long are scary. Bone loss being the biggest one, but everything I've seen has said that you actually start getting it back once you go off of it - plus I drink so much milk and dairy products plus taking calcium - I hope I've nipped that in the bud. I do plan on getting a bone density test done after I've been off of it for a year.

profŕvélo
08-16-2005, 05:45 AM
A bit off topic, but does anyone else feel slightly uneasy about the way in which women are seem quite happy to accept all kinds of chemicals/ invasive methods of birth control?

May I recommend a book?

Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler

It has been recommended somewhere on this site before. It's excellent, full of information for women that, at least in the US, is not normally made available to us. I think all women ought to read it, regardless of your situation (wanting to get pregnant, wanting to avoid pregnancy, heading into menopause...). It explains, in clear language, exactly what is going on in our bodies. And she makes the very point made by MightyMitre.

KSH
08-16-2005, 05:52 AM
Not to scare you but you should discuss the depo shot with your doctor as it causes severe bone loss.

This is why I take calcium daily, eat yogurt, cheese... and I exercise. I also strength train, etc.

True, my body might still have some *issues* later in life, but I am probably still better off that most women who eat unhealthy and don't exercise.