PDA

View Full Version : Nov 16th rides

redrhodie
11-16-2008, 09:29 AM
I woke up this morning to another wet day. Although the rain had stopped, it was still gray, ominous and windy out. Last night, there were tornado warnings, which are extremely rare here. So, I decided this was the perfect day to clean my bike.

I got out the sponge, soapy water, rags, and went to work. I clean and lubed everything, and hit the rims with denatured alcohol so they sparkled. I even cleaned all the spokes. She looked like new. You could eat off her, she was so clean.

Then I looked outside, and it was sunny (you gotta love New England weather!). It was about 10am, and my friend and I usually meet at 10, and although I told her yesterday I probably wouldn't be riding, I knew she would be (she's not a weather weenie like I am). I hurried to dress, and headed out.

Sure enough, I found her and her husband out on our regular route, stopped taking pics of some spectacular waves. The ocean was blasting the rocks in such a grand display people were stopping their cars to get out and watch. These were the kind of waves that sweep small children out to sea, not the kind of thing you want to take lightly. We did see a Coast Guard helicopter over head, hopefully not being needed by anyone who got too close.

Then, about a mile down the road from where I found my friends, the road was washed out, covered with rocks and seaweed. The ocean must have decided it would be fun to see the other side of the street. We had to get off our bikes and carry them over the mess. Seaweed is SLIPPERY! I felt like I was walking on ice, but we all made it across without incident.

Now, I'm about to give my bike another bath. She's as dirty as I've ever seen her. The bath this morning was all for naught. There's salt and sand everywhere. 2 steps forward...

HillSlugger
11-16-2008, 10:32 AM
crazy windy day
nutty to be out riding?
tailwind was worth it!

mudmucker
11-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Well, I haven't been out on the bike on weekends for about 4.5 weeks. Because I kept riding every weekend up through October, I fell way behind on buttoning up the house for winter and I began to get worried I wasn't going to get everything done before snow.

The biggest problem was some sill repair to a big bay window that had water damage from previously neglectful homeowners. The whole left side had to be replaced and I also had to take off the outer roll-out window (for a side screen) off. Not something you want to do when it's in the 40's. I only had weekends to work on it and daylight is short as it is. I needed help with this one and my father came by and we got it done in 2 weekends. The outer window was off for a week.

The rest, as I home-own alone, had to be done by me or it wouldn't get done; changing the oil and winterizing the lawnmower, shredder, and other 2-cycle engines and why not the car while I'm at it, insulating a portion of a walk-in cellar, spending a weekend buttoning up the gardens and taking care of the compost piles, scraping, sanding, and painting the windows to the front of the house, taking care and putting away the lawn furniture, window boxes, and container garden, applying sealant to my stone steps, cleaning gutters, oh and then there was the 3 weekends it took to take care of the leaves which are now in next year's compost. Annually it usually takes 27 tarpful of leaves hauled 600 feet up to the woods to deal with my woodlot leaves. Hah. Not this year. I invested in a zero turn Toro mower with the baggers and what usually takes me 4 weekends took me 2 half days with the Toro and no required time with the heating pad at nights. Never going back. I got it late but next year I will be able to take more days biking during leaf season.

Anyway it rained yesterday but today I was determined to get out on the bike no matter what. It was very windy and cold but I got in 22 miles. After not having been on the bike for a while I felt it. I don't breath well or seem to take in oxygen as well when it's cold but it sure felt good to be out.

SouthernBelle
11-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Today was my first really cold ride of the season. It wasn't too long but it was pretty fun. It gave me a chance to play around with some cold weather gear I picked up off-season.

It was gloomy my whole ride. So naturally the sun is out now.

:rolleyes:

Crankin
11-16-2008, 11:55 AM
It's now 47 and getting dark at 3:30. It was sooo windy this morning, I did not go for a ride. I have been riding outside regularly, twice a week or more, but I think that has come to an end. The high on Thursday is supposed to be 35, with a low of 18. I am sure I will get at least a couple of outdoor rides in during each winter month, but it feels like it's really the off season now. I made my yearly mileage goal + another 60 miles, so it's OK.
Heading off to the gym for Centergy and a romp on the elliptical.

Becky
11-17-2008, 03:19 AM
DH and I had every intention of riding with a couple of friends Sunday, wind and all. But we both woke up fighting colds, and opted to stay home. So Sunday was my first trainer ride. I don't hate the trainer, but that first ride confirms for me that it's winter, and that's always a tough pill to swallow.

So anyway....45 minutes on the trainer while watching the Eagles practically hand the Bengals the game.

kfergos
11-17-2008, 05:06 AM
The wind! Gah!

25 miles to church, almost due west of our house, into a steady west headwind with gusts into the 30 mph zone. Ugh. It felt like I'd ridden 50 miles or more by the time I got off my bike.

Aggie_Ama
11-17-2008, 05:07 AM
I finally got on the winning side of my fight with a cold but wasn't ready for true working out this weekend. Saturday I did some landscaping and laundry while DH went mountain biking. Yesterday DH and I put our state park pass to use. We drove out to Enchanted Rock State Natural area and spent a few hours hiking. We hiked to the summit of the rock (a 400 foot gain in .5 miles) and then down via the Echo Trail. We wandered back along the Turkey Pass to the car. It was a gorgeous day for hiking in the hill country, sunny and only around 60 degrees.

I hadn't been to the rock since I was 8 and DH had never been so it was a great way to pass the time. We are blessed to have some amazing state parks within 1-2 hours of our home, I am glad we spent our Sunday enjoying one.

Jo-n-NY
11-17-2008, 07:27 AM
Every year I say I am going to ride outdoors through the winter months and every year I end up on trainer when I see the tree branches blowing too hard and the air is cold when I poke my head out the door.

This year, unless it is raining, I will not let myself down. I rode 16 miles yesterday despite the wind gusts up to 40mph. My husband joined me for part of the ride which was a great accomplishment for him as he is getting back to his normal physical fitness form after months of a medical set back.

It sure beats the trainer, although I will continue to use that for my after work rides.

Bluetree
11-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Yesterday morning was our Team Photo Day and about 80 members showed up. The poor photographer was running around trying to get everyone in line, which was like trying to herd cats. Unfortunately, a few of our state/national champions were out of town, so only five were able to make it.

For the group ride, we had to make a last minute route change and keep it very slow because of the smoke from the SoCal fires – no one wanted to tax their lungs. I ended up riding near the front. As some people peeled off to head home, I found myself all alone, leading the entire mob and having NO IDEA where to go! Oops. Of course, all I had to do was head to the nearest coffee shop and all was well.

To get an idea of how bad the air was, here's a pic. Our normally pristine beach skies were a horrible shade. Luckily, the damp marine layer kept it bearable for an hour or two, the skies were raining ash later in the day.