PDA

View Full Version : I did it!

Lynne
05-19-2005, 11:40 AM
I did it! My first group ride/ride event. I am so excited that I made it...thanks for all the suggestions. We did Amity, Oregon to Pacific City, Oregon...55 miles, fairly flat. I did it in 3 hr 21 mins riding time, average speed of 16.5mph. Thank you so much for all your suggestions! I worked on spinning and tried to watch other women and learn as much as I could.

Now I want to do a century! I only have until Sept for Cycle Oregon (the first day is elevation gain of almost 3,000 ft over 70-some miles and every other day is 70-some miles) and it's been raining cats, dogs and pigs here!

I'm still riding with my boyfriend and will try to ride w/two of his friends (they also did Reach the Beach)..but really...those of you who ride w/guys will get this...I mostly just get to see their rear-ends as they take off at the start and periodic road intersections (where they have to wait for me....)

But I'm LOVING the downhill!!! I'm up to 41.7mph top speed, usually do in the mid-30's on the down. So much fun and I can whiz past guys sometimes because my bike seems to be aerodynamic. If only I didn't have to do the hills to get TO the top to ride back down *groan*

Thanks again to everyone! I'll be looking for more "help" as I get myself ready for a century. :D

trigurl
05-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Way to go! aren't group rides fun? I was afraid to do one but after I did I can't wait to do it again. There is one this evening but it is supposed to rain so I am going to the gym to ride. :(

CorsairMac
05-19-2005, 01:40 PM
how fun for you! sounds like you had a fun time! let us know when you tackle your first century!

Biking Chick
05-19-2005, 01:50 PM
I did it! My first group ride/ride event. I am so excited that I made it...

Congratulations! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself ... I hope you'll post your future adventures!

slinkedog
05-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Great job, Lynne! I still haven't done a group ride, but I hope to soon!

Can you get your hands on a trainer so you can ride indoors? I do the majority of my riding on a trainer with Spinervals DVD's (there's at least one that works your hill climbing) or just watching the tube. I can only get out once a week, so it has helped me tremendously to work on the trainer during the week.

bikerHen
05-19-2005, 07:59 PM
I do the majority of my riding on a trainer with Spinervals DVD's (there's at least one that works your hill climbing) or just watching the tube. .

If I may ask . . . what is/are Spinervals DVD's? I'm thinking ahead to winter and indoor "riding". bikerHen

slinkedog
05-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Hey BikerHen! Spinervals are basically video workouts that you do on your bike in a trainer. There's tons of them. Go to www.spinervals.com and you can buy them direct or I think perfomancebike.com sells them. Some LBSs sell them, too.

Lynne
05-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the tips! I don't think I could handle training indoors; I've just resigned myself to getting out when it's not TOO rainy and wet. I can't stand the idea of pedaling indoors or in front of the TV. I sweat worse than a guy (anyone else have that problem??? It's so embarrassing!! So not lady-like and gets worse the older I get, ick) I need fresh air to dry me out, lol!

Gonna ask "my biker man" to check out some centuries and start training for those.

Want to know something funny, though? Seems guys who bike just basically go out and figure out a route while they are out there. I need to know where I'm going, how far, how long, how hilly, etc. I can get lost in like 100 ft, I swear (I'm directionally challenged). The guys are going out tomorrow and I am demanding the route so when they take off I can still manage to limp in later ;)

skibum
05-20-2005, 03:29 PM
I can relate, Lynn. I am incredibly directionally challenged. I tend to do a lot of group rides because the route is either marked on the pavement or I can follow someone who knows the way. Even when I head out from my house to ride on my own, I find myself sticking to the routes that are marked. Part of it is a comfort level of knowing what to expect for distance/traffic/hills/etc but the main reason is that I just don't want to get lost!

RoadRaven
05-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Excellent Lynne
So good to make goals, aim for them and get there

Way to go!!!
Looking forward to hearing about your century

bikerHen
05-20-2005, 06:39 PM
I can't stand the idea of pedaling indoors or in front of the TV. I sweat worse than a guy (anyone else have that problem??? It's so embarrassing!! So not lady-like and gets worse the older I get, ick) I need fresh air to dry me out, lol!

Your not the only sweaty person riding their trainer! I get the stuff literally running off my face and I can ring out my shirt when I'm done. :eek: I gave up on being lady like a long time ago! I put a fan right in front of me to move the air just like riding. It helps a lot. :D Still not as good as being on the road, but at least I don't have to worry about winter ice. bikerHen

RoadRaven
05-22-2005, 01:51 AM
LOL
My trainer has a towel draped across the handle bars
And I was brought up believing horses sweated, men perspired and women glowed... well I glow extremely well!!!

:p

Lynne
05-23-2005, 11:56 AM
I don't know how we women are supposed to deal with that. The older I get, the worse it gets. Literally, even on a 50 degree day, I take off my helmet and my hair is dripping! It's so embarrassing! I'm really self-conscious of it, so then I tend to not make eye contact w/anyone. In fact, that had driven me out of the gym for a little while. At the rate I'm going, I will be dripping after a nice little walk in the park!

CorsairMac
05-23-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't know how we women are supposed to deal with that. The older I get, the worse it gets. Literally, even on a 50 degree day, I take off my helmet and my hair is dripping! It's so embarrassing! I'm really self-conscious of it, so then I tend to not make eye contact w/anyone. In fact, that had driven me out of the gym for a little while. At the rate I'm going, I will be dripping after a nice little walk in the park!

Don't ever be embarrassed by who you are hun. I'm the same way, by the time I get to work my hair is soaked and even during the ride I'll have sweat dripping off me; and on long rides - God only knows what I smell like at the end! :rolleyes: I figure it just shows I'm working out! If anyone has a problem with it, tell them to go for a ride with you and see what They look like when ya'll get done!!! ;)

slinkedog
05-23-2005, 02:19 PM
Yup, I'm a sweat-maven, too. And my face gets all red, even if I haven't worked that hard. I've always gotten the red face, even as a kid, but the sweating has definitely gotten worse, er, more pronounced, with age. When I ride inside, I keep a hand towel over the handlebars to wipe off with and to protect my headset, even though it is sealed.

snapdragen
05-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Yay! Another sweaty red faced woman! We can be the tomato sisters slinke! I've had people stop me and ask if I'm OK, or if I'm horribly sunburned, am I about to keel over...... A trainer I used to work with stopped asking about my heart rate and just gaged how hard I was working by my face color! :o

MomOnBike
05-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Yet another tomato face here. I can turn alarming shades of red. Not attractive, but I just avoid looking in the mirror when I'm hot.

(Mirror, mirror on the wall
Who's the reddest-faced of them all?)

Lynne
05-24-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm so glad to hear of all of you who also sweat (forget the whole glistening thing, bunch of hooie). I noticed when I got off the bike seat on this last ride, the seat was even damp. At least I know I will never suffer from hypertension since I"m sweating out all my salt :rolleyes:

slinkedog
05-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Snap, sounds like we need to take a tomato sisters portrait on Monday!! :)

emily_in_nc
05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm so glad to hear of all of you who also sweat (forget the whole glistening thing, bunch of hooie). I noticed when I got off the bike seat on this last ride, the seat was even damp. At least I know I will never suffer from hypertension since I"m sweating out all my salt :rolleyes:

Nothing unusual there, Lynne (or at least you have company). My leather Terry Butterfly seats are always soaked after a long ride in hot weather! Gross I guess...but they do dry out just fine. And yep, I have low blood pressure! :D

Emily