PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Shorts

brightlamp
05-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Anyone have any advice on choosing cycling shorts? I am particularly interested in shorts that are great for long distance (4+ hours) rides.

Thanks!

Waverly
05-19-2005, 01:12 PM
My most favorite shorts to date are by Pearl Izumi. I believe it is there Sugar short. They have a synthetic chamois that I believe is purple and another color though that was last seasons short. I have tried several different brands and they are still my favorite. The chamois is smooth it doesn't bunch. I also like the length of the short. It isn't too long hitting about mid thigh. I think they cost around $45. Hope this helps.

Jess

DeniseGoldberg
05-19-2005, 01:40 PM
I use Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor shorts, and have worn them for years. They're good for both short rides and for all day rides.

--- Denise

Biking Chick
05-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Anyone have any advice on choosing cycling shorts? I am particularly interested in shorts that are great for long distance (4+ hours) rides.

Thanks!

I have worn Pearl Izumi's Ultrasensor for the past few years and have loved them ... until dh wrapped up a pair of PI's Microsensor shorts for my birthday. I fell in love - awesome but very pricey. But rather than 'save them for good' (a family saying) I have vowed to follow Erma Bombeck's advice and enjoy stuff like this rather than squirrel it away.

nuthatch
05-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Some of the girls here recommended Performance Ultras and I have really liked them, better than the PI attacks, which seem to bunch up on the sides.

KSH
05-19-2005, 07:42 PM
I really love my Cannondale, 8 Panel, Chrono's for women.

They have a 7" inseam (I can't stand all my cellulite hanging out), a nice thick padded bottom... and I LOVE THE LEG GRIPPERS! They are NOT PLASTIC... but instead... material and they grip just right... but not too tight!

I have only found them in a LBS for $80.

Veronica
05-19-2005, 07:44 PM
I like Sugoi's Ultrafino and Castelli's Donnas. The PIs seem to have too much chamois for me.

V.

Bike Goddess
05-19-2005, 08:35 PM
I just purchased some shorts by Sheila Moon. Not only are they comfy, but the waistband is different than any I've ever seen. Check out her website- sheilamoon.com- they are made in San Francisco! :D :D

cruziegirl
05-19-2005, 10:06 PM
You might take a look at the women's short on the velowear site...I love them. Long rides or short, they are comfortable and don't seem to have any uncomfortable bits. The leg grip part doesn't strangle your leg. All in all, I really like them.

slinkedog
05-20-2005, 09:18 AM
I'm a Shebeest fan, myself. My favorites are the Triple S short. I also have the Elite Distance shorts, but I've only worn them a couple of times, so the jury is still out. But they're definitely better than my PI's. I have the PI Microsensor (grey chamois) that is too big and bunches up in the girly bits for me. I like the Shebeest chamois because it's got a microfiber cover and is more slippery, hence, less bunching. The Elite Distance chamois is thicker than the SSS.

I have to say that I tried on some Assos Lady F1 shorts, and they were AMAZING, but at $135.00 a little too rich for my blood.

slinkedog
05-20-2005, 09:20 AM
By the way BG, I can't get any product photos to come up on Sheila Moon's site. Anyone know a trick?

SadieKate
05-20-2005, 09:26 AM
By the way BG, I can't get any product photos to come up on Sheila Moon's site. Anyone know a trick?Same problem. I was trying to see all of her stuff last week.

CorsairMac
05-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Bellweathers Womens here. I tried the PIs and was allergic to something in the chamois. I've also worn Cannondales in the past.

Selkie
05-20-2005, 12:36 PM
I like Terry T-Shorts--last years model, though. Unfortunately, I think they've changed their sizing. Mediums used to fit perfectly so I ordered two year pairs this spring only to discover the mediums fit too looser, which makes them less comfortable. Why do manufacturers do that? If they plan to change the sizing, they should warn their customers to size down from whatever they've been wearing.

CorsairMac
05-20-2005, 12:45 PM
I like Terry T-Shorts--last years model, though. Unfortunately, I think they've changed their sizing. Mediums used to fit perfectly so I ordered two year pairs this spring only to discover the mediums fit too looser, which makes them less comfortable. Why do manufacturers do that? If they plan to change the sizing, they should warn their customers to size down from whatever they've been wearing.

sure it wasn't you sizing down?? ;)

Selkie
05-21-2005, 12:18 AM
sure it wasn't you sizing down?? ;)

I have lost some weight since I've been able to ride after work (DST is the best!), but my "old" Terry mediums still fit well. It's the new ones that are baggy :( I think I just might switch to the PIs.

Waverly
05-21-2005, 06:37 AM
I just recently tried on a pair of the Shebeest Triple S shorts at a local REI and fell in love. I like the fit better than my PI but I have yet to purchase them so I am not sure how they will work in the saddle. So far that is the only thing I have found that I really like other than my Sugar Shorts by PI.

Jess

mars
07-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Just bought my 3rd pair of Pearl Izumi Microsensor. One pair will last 2 yrs, so averaging out the the price.... ok, it's my justification. Only complaint is that the elastic is a little tighter than I would like. Cannondale made a mtn bike short that had great leg grips, wide with no elastic, but no ride up.

Pedal Wench
07-29-2005, 06:28 AM
Another Shebeest fan. They've ended up being my 'go to' shorts that I grab for anything longer than 50 miles. I really liked the Performance Ultra's too, but realize that I'm always having to adjust them. Nothing's quite as attractive as a woman pulling at her shorts on the bike - I could totally relate to Lance's nervous tick in his TT!

caligurl
07-29-2005, 08:17 AM
performance ultras for me!!!!! i've worn them for centuries... no problems whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

juvel01
07-29-2005, 08:52 AM
I read somewhere (wish I could remember where so I could cite it) that a number of manufacturers are starting make their sizes larger due to the idea that Americans are ever expanding their waist size (for example, the article said that an average size six 10 years ago is closer to an eight now). Always try them on if its a brand you havent purchased in awhile. I went into buy a pair of shorts which I ALWAYS get an Xsmall and they were big on me, the guy at the LBS said a number of people suddenly seem to be dropping a size in their clothes. Of course there isnt anything smaller than an XSmall. :(

caligurl
07-29-2005, 08:58 AM
so the cycling world is going the way of vanity sizing :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: it's not bad enough i have to shop the teeny bopper department to buy pants/skirts/shorts that fit me... i'm now gonna have to look for teeny bopper or kid size cycling shorts :mad: :mad: :mad: either that or wait for them to start making negative sized clothing :rolleyes:

WHY can't manufacturers just leave the sizes alone and let americans realize they are getting fat and lazy????????????????????????????????? and ya know what... i'm not THAT small..... i feel sorry for women that are smaller than i am!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT do they wear???????????? i already wear a size 0 jean.... and thanx to vanity sizing... even some of those are too lose at some stores :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: if they keep this up... i won't be able to find clothes/pants at all!

THEY NEED TO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: VANITY SIZING STINX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*cali looks around sheepishly and climbs off soap box*

juvel01
07-29-2005, 09:08 AM
caligurl - you and I are in the same boat, XSmall and size 0. And it gets better. I USED TO be able to fit into a girls size 16. I went the other day to buy some sweatpants and I fit into a GIRLS 12!!! :eek:

I've been the same height and weight now for literally 20 years (except for a total of 18 months of pregnancy) so I know its not me.

Dianyla
07-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Actually I always thought cycling was staying true to sizing. Small really does mean small when it comes to jerseys. The fact that I can buy small non-cycling clothing is just plain inaccurate, I'm really a Medium leaning towards Large at times.

I'm all for healthy curves and healthy body shape, but I can't stand it when fat activists love to toss around the statement that Marilyn Monroe wore a 14 dress size. I kindly remind them that size 14 back in the 1950's is more akin to a size 8/10 nowadays. :rolleyes:

caligurl
08-01-2005, 08:49 AM
i find cycling jerseys totally inconsistant! i have both smalls and even some mediums... depending on the brand!

ACG
08-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Pearl Izumi Women's HeliArc Short, have had them about 6 months, no problems, 3D Chamios, I'll never go back to anything less. They wash perfect!
I do not like my clothing snug, so I buy a large. As I have breasts (thanks to 2 kids), this works out better for me.

As far as other clothing I have 2 girls, 15 and 21, the clothing that is supposed to fit them is borderline obscene. They usually opt to not buy certain styles or buy a larger size and I alter the clothing for them.

KatieBelle
08-07-2005, 07:08 PM
I just bought some PI microsensor shorts on ebay. I got a great deal, but they still cost a lot of $$$$. I can't wait to get them and try them out!

trigurl
08-08-2005, 07:02 AM
I have a pair of Descente (mens) shorts I like a lot, but this w/e I bought a pair of Specialized (mens) and I love them! I rode 43 miles in them yesterday and was comfortable the whole time, wonder what the women's would be like???? the LBS only had the specialized in mens and the decente womens were all too big so I bought a mens small. They were a little longer than I like but that is fine as long as they are comfy. The specialized were great, LBS is going to order some womens for me :D

WarriorPrncs
08-30-2005, 12:49 PM
I bought a pair and have had them for about 3 months and then decided to wear them when I did a century ride a few weeks ago and they were sooooo uncomfortable. :mad: The greenish part folded up and irritated the insides of my legs while riding. Not to mention the chamois itself seem to hold moisture and felt like a wet diaper. It made for a long miserable ride and by the time I got back I was red and raw in several critical parts and had a few owees. :eek: I've ridden lots of century and have worn Performance Gel Shorts in the past and have not experienced this problem. Maybe I got a defected pair? :confused:

KatieBell, How are yours? I hope better!

Trekhawk
08-30-2005, 01:31 PM
My favourite pair is Sugoi's flex short. They are so good I dont want to wear my other pair (not the same brand) anymore. Guess I will just have to invest in another pair of the Sugoi. :)

bikerbarb
08-30-2005, 04:18 PM
I just sent back some PI microsensors. I ordered them because there was a lot of endorsement of them...but they had baseball-like stitching in strategic parts of the chamois and it was stiff and uncomfortable. Those are the places I get rubbed too much so I don't get it.
I just ordered some cannondales. I'll let you know how they work. That's what I wear now, but they are an older model called Chronos and they are starting to sag. Sigh. I guess to each her own.

SadieKate
08-30-2005, 04:29 PM
I just sent back some PI microsensors. I ordered them because there was a lot of endorsement of them...but they had baseball-like stitching in strategic parts of the chamois and it was stiff and uncomfortable. What? PI chamois are typically one piece now days. Did you get an older model? What color and texture was the chamois?

bikerbarb
08-30-2005, 04:34 PM
I bought them here, at TE. I sent them back today, so I don't have them to report on color, etc.

Cari
09-01-2005, 04:44 PM
What? PI chamois are typically one piece now days. Did you get an older model? What color and texture was the chamois?

I have one those Microsensors (http://www.rei.com/product/47864388.htm) ($120), which I bought this summer from REI. Most of the chamois looks like synthetic leather with gel inside, then around that there's a lime-colored terry type of cloth.

The Microsensors have been really comfortable for me, especially on long rides I do on weekends. But I was taught to soften the chamois (especially the synthetic leather part) before every ride, be it with chamois creme, chamois butt'r or even vaseline. The stuff kinda builds up on it over time, and if you don't put the shorts in the dryer, they stay pretty soft.

I still think PI Ultrasensors (http://www.rei.com/product/47698602.htm) ($80) are slightly more comfy, but I'll have to see how they hold up vs. the Microsensors after a few months of riding.

By the way... PI Short Attack Road Shorts (http://www.rei.com/product/47864391.htm?) have the same PRT chamois as the Ultrasensors are on sale for $50 (down from $65). And if you subscribe to the REI e-mail list, they send you a code for a 10% discount.

Ok, no more advertising... but I hope that helped. :rolleyes:

kaian
09-05-2005, 08:21 AM
Anyone try Cannondale Domestique shorts? I have a pair of 10 panel velocity shorts that I like a lot, but was wondering if these 8 panels were good.

lyndaj
09-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Try on many different ones until you find the ones that fit best (that is, if you are not buying off the web!). I have Hind shorts which I absolutely adore.

jeannierides
09-07-2005, 05:27 AM
Has anyone tried bib shorts? My SO just won an ebay auction for a pair of Descante (sp) bibs for me. I've been riding Performance women's classic short, but hate the way the chamoise bunches and pulls. I also have a pair of Louis Garneau that I have begun to love!

tatormc
09-07-2005, 06:10 AM
I have a pair of Castelli bibs and I like them. I guess I really don't notice the difference between shorts and bibs. Some people say the waist on shorts digs in after a while. I guess I haven't done a long enough ride to experience this! I do enjoy putting on the bibs and calling them my wrestling outfit. :rolleyes:

Pedal Wench
09-07-2005, 07:08 AM
I have a pair of Castelli bibs and I like them. I guess I really don't notice the difference between shorts and bibs. Some people say the waist on bibs digs in after a while. I guess I haven't done a long enough ride to experience this! I do enjoy putting on the bibs and calling them my wrestling outfit. :rolleyes:

I have a pair of bibs that I love! I always thought and heard the exact opposite - there is no waist on bibs, so there's nothing to dig in. They're very comfortable in that respect. It's just hard to find women's bibs.

slinkedog
09-07-2005, 07:37 AM
My only concern about bibs is that they would be hard to take an off-road pee in.

SadieKate
09-07-2005, 08:09 AM
I have a pair of bibs that I love! I always thought and heard the exact opposite - there is no waist on bibs, so there's nothing to dig in. They're very comfortable in that respect. It's just hard to find women's bibs.
Me, too! I love Castelli (though not made any longer) and Descente bibs. The PIs are OK. I like that they don't dig in at the waist, they keep my lower back warmer in winter, on a really hot day mtbiking I can take off my jersey and the love handles don't show, and I can wear a shear mesh top (like Terry makes) and the love handles don't show. :o On the road I just pull my arms out of my jersey to take off the straps.

Mtbiking becomes a bit more of an issue because I wear a hydration pack but don't really care. Not in a hurry to get anywhere and I sure like no waist band on the shorts when I'm wearing a waist belt on the hydration pack.

The PIs come in a distant 2nd only because the straps are placed wrong for women. I have 2 pair of prototypes from several years ago before they went into mass production this year. The current model still had the same problem. Someone please explain to me why they placed the strap so it runs right across the nipples? :eek: Castelli and Descente don't do this.

Cari
09-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Anyone try Cannondale Domestique shorts? I have a pair of 10 panel velocity shorts that I like a lot, but was wondering if these 8 panels were good.

I found some of those Cannondale Domestique shorts on sale a few days ago ($40) and ordered a pair. I'll give you an update as soon as I try them out. Also let me know if you want the link for where I bought them... or if you found a better price, let me know where you saw them. :)

I just realized that I have quite a few pairs of shorts and one set of bibs, but most of them aren't that comfortable so I keep washing and wearing the same two pairs of PI's. I really need to find a less expensive short that I actually want to wear.

Has anyone tried Canari shorts? I ordered some Canari gel shorts ($32, down from like $70) from the same place. I always see heavily discounted Canari stuff and it makes me wonder whether the original price was inflated or whether the clothes just aren't that great. Any thoughts?

CorsairMac
09-09-2005, 09:38 AM
I just got 2 pair of the Performance Century Gel Short Shorts yesterday and wore my first pair today for my morning commute!!

The padding is very cushy and the chamois is deliciously soft but it's not so bulky you feel like you're wearing a diaper. The most wonderful thing I noticed was no stitching in the chamois and the side stitching was flatlocked. The ride was awesome, I rode in the drops all 6 miles and never shifted in the saddle to relieve any uncomfortable points. I'm planning on doing a 50 mile ride tomorrow which includes a 35 mile hill climb so I'll Really put them to the test. MHO right now: I'm holding myself back from ordering any more until after the long test ride tomorrow but I am all set to order 2 more! (Performance on sale for $34.95) oh and the 6" inseam: for 5'2" me the leg grippers hit right where my longer shorts left their rolled up tan lines so the length seemed to be just perfect.

oldbikah
09-26-2005, 12:49 PM
My shorts question is a little different. I have worn only Pearl Izumi shorts, with the exception of 1 pair from LLBean, so I don't know how other brands fit. My current problem is that after losing 25 pounds this summer, the legs are way too big even on a brand new pair of Pearl Ultrasensor Short shorts. So, are there any brands anyone can recommend where the leg circumfrance runs a little smaller?

bikerbarb
09-26-2005, 06:21 PM
ARRRGH! I have the opposite problem. I lost 18 pounds and shorts that fit in the legs are too big in the seat and middle section. I'm still not small in the above the knee zone. They sausage me.

Cari
09-26-2005, 10:31 PM
ARRRGH! I have the opposite problem. I lost 18 pounds and shorts that fit in the legs are too big in the seat and middle section. I'm still not small in the above the knee zone. They sausage me.

I saw some Nike shorts at the LBS today that looked pretty skinny in the leg.

And I'm not 100% sure about this, but I would guess that some of the euro brands like Assos would have a smallish fit as well.

Then again... I'm with BikerBarb and the sausage people, so what do I know? :D