PDA

View Full Version : Mary9761- you've inspired me

Tri Girl
11-08-2008, 06:26 AM
to make my own panniers from kitty litter buckets. I've been really wanting something better than my touring panniers to haul groceries, but decided that I didn't want regular grocery panniers (I wanted something more durable). You posted pics of your panniers on the Hilly Hundred, and the slideshow inspired me to build my own.
I had to first locate some buckets (www.freecycle.org got me in touch with people who donated about 10), and then it was the difficult task of finding rope hooks. Who knew they'd be so hard to find? Lowe's, Home Depot, and my local Ace Hardware didn't have them, and had no earthy idea what they were- even tho I had a picture. I finally found them at Tractor Supply Company. Go figure?
I love them!!!! They are not the prettiest thing (my DH teases me about my frankenbike), but they are utilitarian- which is exactly what my workhorse bike is supposed to be.

Just wanted to share my thanks with you for inspiring me to build my own for under $10 instead of buying something new for much, much more. And on the plus side, the paint is so toxic, that I get a contact high from just using them (that's not really a plus- just kidding). The toxic fumes are pretty bad- for both me and the environment. :(

I put the lock through the handles and locked it to the rack because the fumes are still a bit much to bring it into the grocery store with me. People are pretty nice around here and nobody will mess with it (I left my phone on my handlebar last week at the store and nobody touched it- whew!)

mary9761
11-08-2008, 10:46 AM
AWESOME JOB Tri Girl! You did a great job on them. I'm glad you like them too. I LOVE mine and since they get moved on and off my bike pretty often when I travel on the bus at all I'm glad to have something really sturdy too. Good thing is they hold up and protect what's in them if the bike tips over too. (I'm a bit of a clutz at times):rolleyes:

Tater
11-08-2008, 11:33 AM
What a cool idea! Now I will have to mooch mom's kitty litter buckets! Thanks, ladies.

Gidiup
11-08-2008, 12:48 PM
How do you hold those on the bike? I like the look . . . form and function over fashion:o

mary9761
11-08-2008, 01:51 PM
they hang off the sides of the rack with rope cleats/hooks and bungee at the bottom "v" on the rack. the bungee goes through a hole drilled just below the handle hole in the flange but not all the way through to the pannier.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mary9761/7%20September%202008%20-%20kitty%20litter%20bucket%20panniers/SANY2983.jpg

Mr. Bloom
11-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Mary is inspiring to many of us in many ways;)

bikerchic
11-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Mary is inspiring to many of us in many ways;)

That is so true! I vote for Mary for president......oh wait I'm a tad bit late on that one, but heck she still rocks!

Mary I was so glad to see you here today. I first read your postings on bikejournal.com and had no idea you posted here also. I'm going through bikejournal withdrawals........

Oh pardon my manners, nice to meet you Mary, I'm Kate.

Tri Girl those are pretty awesome looking panners!

shellkay1212
11-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I can't wait to make some of these! I will be moving in a couple of weeks to 'the city'. It will enable me to commute to work, the store, the theatre, the mall, and even to see family. Heck, with these I can even ride to family dinners. I could put ice in these if I have to take a dish to a family carry in! I can't wait!

Tri Girl
11-08-2008, 04:50 PM
I could put ice in these

Oooooo... I hadn't thought about that. Good one! I can put ice in them and use them for picnics in the summer time (I'm thinking cold beer on ice to bring to summer games/gatherings). Hmmm... you're making me think of many other ways to use them that I hadn't thought of. :D

And, yes, Mary is definitely inspiring in many ways to lots of us. I wish I could be like her in quite a few ways for sure!!! :)

shellkay1212
11-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Heck, yes! I will make all kinds of new friends in my new neighborhood!

mary9761
11-08-2008, 05:16 PM
ah geez you guys.. you're embarrassing me... :o:o I'm not trying to be inspirational, I'm just a fat and sassy, metal head grandma who decided to hop on a bike one day.

back to the panniers, one of the sites I found talked about getting some material (they said at Lowes) like is in the refridgerated bags that can be used as a liner to keep cold items cold for a time. I'd imagine it would work for hot items too going to your family dinners. I didn't know where to look exactly the day I was at Lowes getting some other stuff and didn't have the extra to get it anyways. Of course for that matter, I found a cloth grocery bag sized cold bag at Walmart today in the freezer section for $1.50 that will fit right down in one of the panniers.

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Good job, TriGirl!
I like them in red. :)

Tuckervill
11-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Tri-girl, that's not the same bike you had in July, is it?

That means you have TWO Frankenbikes! I like it! ;)

Karen

pardes
11-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm sooooo glad they are RED!

Clever, innovative, recycling in action, and it DOES NOT look like a Frankenbike! I think it's almost lovely.

Please give us a detailed report on the amount of groceries they will hold. I'm sure it will be impressive.

wackyjacky1
11-09-2008, 07:01 AM
they hang off the sides of the rack with rope cleats/hooks and bungee at the bottom "v" on the rack. the bungee goes through a hole drilled just below the handle hole in the flange but not all the way through to the pannier.

Forgive my density, but I'm not quite getting how/where the bungees attach to the buckets. Could you maybe post a close-up pic? :o

(I really want to make a set of these! I think the mention of their use as a beer cooler clinched it for me. :D )

mary9761
11-09-2008, 07:45 AM
When you drill the hole for the bungee, watch so you do not drill through the bucket itself. The hole is through the flange under the handle only.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mary9761/7%20September%202008%20-%20kitty%20litter%20bucket%20panniers/SANY3000.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mary9761/7%20September%202008%20-%20kitty%20litter%20bucket%20panniers/SANY3001.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mary9761/7%20September%202008%20-%20kitty%20litter%20bucket%20panniers/SANY3002.jpg

I can't wait to see everyone's buckets! :D

wackyjacky1
11-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh, OK, I see it now. Thanks. :)

So the buckets might still sway away from the rack, but the bungee cord limits how far they can swing?

Is that a 6" bungee?

malkin
11-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Another big fan of the red!
Better red than just about anything!

Since we have to wait such a long time for the presidential bid, can we lobby for a cabinet post? Secretary of Inspiration? or perhaps Secretary of Panniers?

mary9761
11-09-2008, 02:59 PM
The finished length is about 6" but it's an 8" bungee. I didn't have a sturdy enough 6" bungee so I tied off the 8". When you're finishing the pannier, you stretch the bungee taut so there is very little if any play. I do have some bouncing if I hit bumps and especially empty, but they stay in place very well.

Tri Girl
11-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Tri-girl, that's not the same bike you had in July, is it?

Karen, it's a different frankenbike. I still have the other, but it sits on my trainer permenently now. It's the "I don't want to go outside for a ride" bike. :) This new one is my dedicated touring/grocery/errand bike. I LOVE her!

I went shopping on Saturday and almost bought too much stuff. Granted, I'm the master packer who leaves no space empty, but even I had to cram to get it all in.
Here's what fit inside:
large box of cereal
half gallon milk
2 liter of soda
small jar of jelly
3 large canned goods
2 boxes of brownie mix
box of instant oatmeal
cheese
1 large carton of OJ
flour tortillas
2 pears
1 apple
3 bananas
2 library books (from my errand before the grocery store)

On top of the rack I had the large 3 box bundle of Kleenex bungeed to the rack and boxes.
It was a lot of stuff that fit inside, but I almost over-did it. I didn't take them inside the store because the paint fumes were still REALLY strong. Next time I'll take them in and pack them as I go to make sure I don't have too much stuff.

shellkay1212
11-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Many thanks to Mary and Trigirl!

I've rounded up kitty litter buckets from freecycle.org! YAY!

A friend at work and I are going to make these together. We are thinking that people are going to be begging for the instructions. It's kind of like Pay it Forward!

Now, people all over Fort Wayne, IN will be traveling around with reused kitty litter buckets.

Oh - what kind of paint did you use?

Tri Girl
11-10-2008, 01:59 PM
I think Mary used Krylon. I used Valspar for plastic. Even tho I sanded to rough up the surface, it still comes off if it gets scratched. I think as long as you buy a paint for plastic you'll be fine. They make a plastic primer, and maybe I should try that next time.
I just picked up 2 more kittly litter buckets from another lady on freecycle. They are different. The lids don't come off, but hinge at the top. I might like that, too. ;) I think I'll make them into panniers and then decide on my favorite pair.