PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Weekend ride?

slinkedog
05-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Anyone up for a ride somewhere either on Saturday the 28th or Monday the 30th? We could do the aforementioned reservoirs loop in our neck of the woods. Or maybe the Woodside loop that we tried to do on President's day?

yellow
05-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Traveler's Question:

What is the distance of these routes and will you feed me well afterwards if I were to make the journey over there?

Have to do a cost-benefit analysis. Of course one of the biggest benefits is riding with all of the TE women! Y'all rock.

slinkedog
05-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Well, the reservoirs loop is about 40 miles that we can add to by tooling around Gilroy a bit. However, if we add on the Almaden Reservoir/Hicks/Shannon/Kennedy climbing route, that probably adds another 15 miles or so... not totally sure.

I LOVE to cook and will make sure that anyone who comes to our house afterwards is well fed. We can discuss menu options. Blaine and I are partial to grilled pork tenderloin marinated in garlic, olive oil and rosemary and stuffed with prosciutto and provolone as a company barbeque thing. Any veggies out there? Other suggestions? We aim to please. (And I'll make sure to get the carrot cake I was talking about in another thread.)

Bike Goddess
05-17-2005, 11:01 AM
I can ride on the 30th, but not the 28th. So if you plan something for that day, you can pretty much count me in. Since I start the AIDS ride the following weekend, I'd vote for a flat(ter) route than say Mt. Hamilton.

It's starting to warm up- this weekend temps forecast in the 90's inland. There go our green hills and wildflowers! :( :(

Veronica
05-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Oh no, not pork! Oh wait, it will be after the ride. :D

We had our teacher appreciation luncheon the day of our last Diablo ride. Pork was on themenu. It's being blamed for me wanting to hurl the entire climb. Or maybe it was the heat.

V.

cindysue
05-17-2005, 11:23 AM
I LOVE to cook and will make sure that anyone who comes to our house afterwards is well fed.

We wouldn't want you to go to a huge expense. Those of us who are local should be able to bring something to share. Yellow should just show up!

I can't commit to the ride yet. I may be in Napa that weekend.......

SadieKate
05-17-2005, 11:28 AM
I'd love to join you but :( I'm going to Bend. :D

Veronica
05-17-2005, 11:39 AM
I have to check with my honey before we commit. Or get committed.... :p

V.

Trek420
05-17-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm with Bike Goddess in that I could prob'ly ride one day or the other. Last minute training is great but I'm supposed to be in a rest period at that point, yeah, that's my excuse ;-) So should do some flatter rides.

Ack, panicking, have I trained enough? I've Done more miles than last year but is it enough? Guess we'll find out soon, stay tuned.

aka_kim
05-17-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm interested, and the 30th should be OK.

Ditto CindySue's comment about cooking. I'm a vegetarian, but I still have really weird likes/dislikes (as in disliking many vegetables) and don't want SlinkeDog to go to a lot of trouble. Are there any places nearby where a bunch of grubby cyclists would be welcomed?

slinkedog
05-17-2005, 12:40 PM
There's TONS of places close by. We could order out and bring it back to our place or go somewhere. There's a plethora of food choices all within about a 5 minute drive from my house.

slinkedog
05-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Trek... I'd be more than happy to do an easy ride with you. I was going strong there for a while training for the Tierra Bella, and I really fell off afterwards. I struggled to do 26 miles relaitively flat miles last weekend, so if we do this ride, I'll be going very slowly.

slinkedog
05-17-2005, 12:43 PM
I'd love to join you but :( I'm going to Bend. :D

Bummer! You know, we don't HAVE to do this ride over Memorial Day. We can do it for another time. It was just an idea. I want as many of us as possible to be able to make it.

SadieKate
05-17-2005, 12:53 PM
No, no, you have lots of interested parties. There will be more opportunities, won't there? Is there some kind of deadline I don't know about? :confused: I think that if someone wants to volunteer to taste the local gourmet treats on my behalf we can declare the food calorie-free because you're doing it for a good cause. :D

Trek420
05-17-2005, 02:28 PM
ok, slinkedog and I can sweep ;-)

and Kim, you're a vegetarian...and dislike vegetables? cookies are vegetarian. :)

aka_kim
05-17-2005, 02:32 PM
cookies are vegetarian.
They usually have eggs, but I eat 'em anyway.

Bike Goddess
05-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Kim- Never fear! I'm a veggie too! :p

cindysue
05-18-2005, 09:45 AM
I'm a fishetarian. Was veggie for over 10 years and then I discovered Sushi...........

Trek420
05-23-2005, 05:36 AM
I'm omniverous, anything except liver and runny yolks. Are we still talking about the 30th?

slinkedog
05-23-2005, 10:03 AM
I think we're still talking about the 30th. That's the day we scheduled the sitter for!!

Who all is coming and is a 9:30 or 10:00 start time doable?

Bike Goddess
05-23-2005, 12:25 PM
What's the plan-i.e. where are we going, how far, etc. I'm in for a relaxed ride that day as our AIDS ride is coming up the next weekend!

slinkedog
05-23-2005, 02:15 PM
We've been talking about a ~40 mile loop that's pretty flat... some rollers and a couple of little hills. Probably about 1K ft. of climbing overall. For those who want to do more like 50 miles with a hard/steep section, Blaine can take whoever wants to do that either on the way out or the way back. I'll be lucky to complete 40 miles at this point. I haven't been training very hard at all, but I'll probably be able to do it if I really pace myself. So I'll be going very easy, and Dita said she wanted to do an easy ride, too.

snapdragen
05-23-2005, 03:02 PM
slinke - pm me your address. I can come up with different ride lengths and levels if you like. (snap whips out the nifty bike route mapping software....)
Maybe a 30, 40 or 50?

For the LifeCycle gals - what distance would you care to do?

slinkedog
05-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Okay, I sent you my info. Thanks so much for doing the work on this one! I was thinking of the people who wanted to do a harder ride could do Calero/Chesbro/Uvas and those of us who want easier could do the reverse!! :) I think the reverse only has Buffalo Hill as a Krebs chevron hill. Sycamore has a Krebs chevron going from Chesbro to Uvas.

Bike Goddess
05-23-2005, 07:20 PM
This LifeCycle girl wants to do easy- like not a lot of hills. 40 miles max. maybe less? I'd like to get done farily early because I may take my bike into my bike shop in Walnut Creek afterwards to get looked at and ready for the big ride. :D

How far to your house from say Pleasanton? Time- not mileage!

snapdragen
05-23-2005, 08:14 PM
I think San Jose to Pleasanton is about 45 minutes.

slinkedog
05-23-2005, 08:40 PM
We drive out to Tracy a lot and we make it to Pleasanton in about 30 - 40 minutes.

:)

CorsairMac
05-24-2005, 01:43 PM
I was watching Sats OLN coverage of the Giro - the insane one with 5 mountain climbs all cat 2s and cat 1s and I thought of you CA Mt Diablo ladies. One of those climbs was 8.5% with 2 sections at 16% and 18%. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I thought I had heard Phil wrong so I backed up the tape and played it again and yuppers that's what he said! Made me decide my little tiny 6-8% climb going home every night was just a walk in the park!! ;)

I do wish they would tell us what gear ratio these guys were using tho - oh..and by the way, several of those cat 1 climbs?.....they were still averaging 20 mph!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wanna be a pro racer boy when I grow up!!!!

cindysue
05-24-2005, 05:01 PM
I may take my bike into my bike shop in Walnut Creek afterwards to get looked at and ready for the big ride. :D How far to your house from say Pleasanton? Time- not mileage!

OHHHH! Which Bike shop? I highly recommend California Pedaler in Danville. Patrick is the manager. There are two great mechanics: Mike and ??

about 45 min from Pleasanton to Shannon's.

slinkedog
05-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Heh! I guess we drive faster than everyone else!! ;)

So, who's seriously thinking of doing this? Snap is working on routes and so am I. Who wants to come and what do you want to do? We have many options!

aka_kim
05-25-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm seriously thinking of doing it. Forty to 60 miles would be good. Where is the start (I want to see what the drive time will be from Concord)?

slinkedog
05-25-2005, 08:35 AM
We'd be starting from my house in San Jose. When Blaine and I drove to Napa we went through Concord (I think) and it was about 45 minutes to an hour... but we've already seen that we get places faster than most. ;)

snapdragen
05-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Heh! I guess we drive faster than everyone else!! ;)

I always seem to have a CHP car behind me....... :rolleyes:

Bike Goddess
05-25-2005, 10:30 AM
OHHHH! Which Bike shop? I highly recommend California Pedaler in Danville. Patrick is the manager. There are two great mechanics: Mike and ??

Walnut Creek- Performance- that's where I got my bike. Tune ups are free for life! :D :D

Now for Monday- What time, what address, etc. May have another cyclist from Benicia with me- she's checking her schedule. Its supposed to be hot so earlier better! :) :) :)

slinkedog
05-25-2005, 10:31 AM
We'll be riding from my house (easy street parking) and we can leave whenever everyone wants to. Our sitter is getting here at 9:00, so any time after that is fine with me. I'll pm you my address. :) We'd love to meet your friend, too!

slinkedog
05-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Okay, everyone! So far I have pretty solid confirms from Bike Goddess and Trek. Kim, are you going to join us? Melissa? V and Thom? Snap, any luck with the route-creating software? At this point Blaine and I are thinking that the out and back to Uvas Reservoir with a side trip on the way home over Hicks for those who want increased mileage and nasty steep climbing might be the best way to go. Another option is McKean out to Chesbro Reservoir , over Willow Springs to Santa Teresa and back to our place, but Santa Teresa has a lot of lights and traffic once you get back into San Jose. Snap, how is the climb over Willow Springs from Chesbro to ST?

snapdragen
05-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Snap, any luck with the route-creating software? At this point Blaine and I are thinking that the out and back to Uvas Reservoir with a side trip on the way home over Hicks for those who want increased mileage and nasty steep climbing might be the best way to go. Another option is McKean out to Chesbro Reservoir , over Willow Springs to Santa Teresa and back to our place, but Santa Teresa has a lot of lights and traffic once you get back into San Jose. Snap, how is the climb over Willow Springs from Chesbro to ST?

My software is acting sucky! Any of the options you've mentioned would be good. Willow Springs to Santa Teresa is nothing, if I remember correctly. I'll double check. From ST is a different story - not real difficult, unless you're in the shape I'm in!! :D

Bike Goddess
05-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Well, Bike Goddess is having some second thoughts- it's 70+miles from home- about 1 1/2 hours of driving each way- may just stay up here and do a ride around my place. I have to work this weekend :( through Sunday and I'm already tired!

Also, my dear partner Dave is home that day and it might be nice to spend some time with him at least part of the day- we don't see much of each other as it is- either I'm out riding or we're sleeping! :p :p

aka_kim
05-26-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm still hoping to join you, but I've hurt my back and want to wait another day or so before committing.

slinkedog
05-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Well, Blaine and I will ride, regardless of who shows, so no worries, everyone! Nancy, you sure need to get your rest in prep for the AIDS ride!!! :)

Kim, I hope you back is better soon and you can join us. Snap, I meant to ask about your elbow, too. Any better?

snapdragen
05-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Poor slinke! One of these days we will manage to get together! My arm is still iffy, although it does seem a little better today. I saw my chiropractor yesterday, she also does massage. She worked on it for half an hour, then gave me some cream to massage in during the day.

Here's a profile of Willow Springs from Oak Glen (McKean side) I remembered correctly, from the McKean side it's an easy ride.

slinkedog
05-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Well, it sounds like our ride is a bust. Dita, are you still coming? Blaine and I are going to ride since we already hired the sitter. :) If you still want to come, get here around 9:00 or so and we'll take off soon afterward.

How did you get that cool graphic, Snap? Is that your road mapping software? If so, where can I buy it?

snapdragen
05-27-2005, 10:33 AM
It's called BikeMaster. One of the guys in ACTC wrote the program. I can't get to the website at work, I'll send you the info tonight.

Trek420
05-27-2005, 11:18 AM
I plan to be there. So is it just us?

slinkedog
05-27-2005, 11:38 AM
I guess so! Just you and me and Blaine. We'll have a good time and I'll make something yummy for a post-ride snack. Do you like cookies? :)

I guess Kim is still a maybe. How's that back, Kim?

aka_kim
05-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey Slinke, the back's not getting much better. I'll let you know if it recovers enough to ride on Monday :(. I do still want to do a nice roll-y ride around the reservoirs some day this summer.

spazzdog
05-27-2005, 02:47 PM
Snap, I sent the guy/girl who developed Bike Master an email asking about loading other areas into it. The reply was yes, to just create the route maps following the same method as those for the Bay Area, i.e. text files.

I may give it a whirl...

Have you downloaded the new 2.0 version? Perhaps it will solve your glitch.

spazz

Trek420
05-27-2005, 06:10 PM
kim would you be able to do a nice roll-y ride?

aka_kim
05-27-2005, 06:37 PM
kim would you be able to do a nice roll-y ride?Probably not until you get back from the AIDS ride.

Trek420
05-27-2005, 07:14 PM
oh no! ok, I'll hijack a recumbent for you just in case. :cool: ;)

slinkedog
05-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Hey Trek! Are we still on for tomorrow? Anyone else who wants to come is more than welcome! We'll be meeting at 9:00 a.m. at my house. PM me if you need address/directions.

:)
Shannon

Veronica
05-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Have a great ride you guys! We're going to put in a few hours of home maintenance and do something a bit closer to home - if we still have the energy.

V.

Trek420
05-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Shannon,

I'd still be up for an eeeeeaaaaasy recovery ride, I mean "we're embarassed to be seen rideing that slow" easy. The ride I did today was 30 but with a fast group and I'm feelin' it. I'm going to rest and eat up but should take it easy. It's tempting to try to "cram in fitness" at this point but i think I should rest from here on in.

slinkedog
05-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Well, here's what we're palnning on doing:

Ride out to Uvas and back (about 35 miles) or some other route about that distance/climbing level. Flats are about 12 - 15 mph pace and hills are much slower (Buffalo Hill is about 6 - 7 mph for me). If you want to rest up, don't feel obligated to show up. We'll roll about 9:15 a.m. or so. If you feel up to it, great, if not, we'll catch ya the next time around!! :)

Trek420
05-29-2005, 07:38 PM
I'll pm you early in the morning, if I'm feeling up to it I will be there and I'm usualy fashionably early, so if I'm not there have a great ride. If I'm not feeling up to this task I'll probably go to Coyote Hills and keep the heart rate monitor just aboce "does she have a pulse?" level.

We'll have to do this again after the ride, when Kim's back it better etc.

slinkedog
05-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Please do PM me because our 5 year old has devloped a fever tonight. If he's still running one in the morning, we'll probably ditch the baby sitter and just I will go out. In which case I'd be happy to go wherever you want to. So let me know in the a.m.!! :)

Shannon

Trek420
05-30-2005, 05:23 AM
poor baby! I'm sore sore sore, which usualy does not happen after the Sunday club ride, what's with this? I'm gonna spin it out, stretch. You go on, we'll do this thing when I return.

Happy Memorial Day ladies, do we have any Veterans out there? If so, thank you.

cindysue
05-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Shannon - how's the 5year old? Did you still make it out?

slinkedog
05-31-2005, 05:52 AM
Jonathan was still running a fever yesterday morning, so we didn't go. He seems to be much better today, which is good, since today is his preschool graduation day!! :)

I swear, it almost seems that "me and Blaine" rides are cursed or something. Lately every time we try to arrange a ride together, hire the sitter, and all that, one, or all, of the kids get sick!!!

How are you? How much longer 'til Santa Barbara blast-off?? How was Napa? :D

cindysue
05-31-2005, 06:47 PM
How are you? How much longer 'til Santa Barbara blast-off?? How was Napa? :D

I hope the kids start feeling better and at least one, if not both, of you get out and ride..............

I'm great - out of school for the summer - still working two jobs - but much less stress. Napa was great - we ended up getting a picnic lunch for four and eating out on the deck at one of the wineries (great view!). We decided to just come home for dinner - it was a long day...........

Santa Barbara is in less than 2 weeks: June 13th :)

Any summer plans?

Bike Goddess
06-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Hi Cindy Sue- I'll send thoughts your way when I and 3 others of us from Team Estrogen pass through Santa Barbara on the AIDS ride. We're just clearing the way for you! :p :p :p

cindysue
06-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Nancy,

Yes, that is so exciting that you will be on your way to L.A. in just two days. Wow! It would have been nice if we were tracking you at the same time - but I think we are taking different routes as well............

All my Best to you next week. Stay fed, hydrated, dry, and most of all safe. I look forward to your ride report upon your return!