PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me make a HORSE costume for my BIKE in the next couple of hours!!!

TrekJeni
10-31-2008, 09:13 AM
I mentioned this morning to my cubemates that tomorrow's cross race, we are encouraged to wear costumes and will receive a discount on entries. Well of course my coworkers want me to dress up and have decided I should dress my bike up as a horse.

I can take bike boxes from the shop to make my horse head and do something for a tail pretty easily, couldn't I? I have chaps and a nice Troxel riding helmet. Or instead of my chaps, I guess I should wear some black leggings and buy a white oxford shirt to go as an English rider.

What do you think?

Any suggestions on how to make my horse head and how to fix it to my bike? Any patterns out there on the net?

Jeni - Streamers

Becky
10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
I am probably the least creative person that I know, so take that into consideration.

The head has me a little stumped. What about just a cardboard cut out of a horse profile, with features drawn on? Maybe use some yarn for a mane? Rope for reins and tied to the handle bars? Not sure about how to attach it, although zip ties and duct tape are my go-tos for everything.

Tail: A cheap "cheerleader pom-pom" in black or brown, and zip-tied to the saddle or seat post? Yarn would work too, but probably wouldn't blow around as much.

I love your costume ideas!

wolfak
10-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Make some hind legs that kind of start off like chicken drumsticks - maybe look at some cartoon horses - can tie these to the chain stays. Similar things can be done for the front.

I like the suggestions for the head - do it from two pieces to make it sturdier and then sandwich the front of the frame in between - may take a little work to make sure you can see.

Totally love the idea of a pom-pon tail!

obie
10-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Can I just say this is awesome???! Please post pictures when you do it!
I wonder if a traditional riding helmet would be race-legal? I can't see why not!

malkin
10-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Yee-Haw!

oxysback
10-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Something easy to do would be to go to a toy store and get one of those stick horses (we used to call them Zee Bee horses, for some reason...hehe). That would make a nice head for your steed. :cool:

TrekJeni
10-31-2008, 07:25 PM
going to bed now!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd276/jeniroosen/horse%20bike/IMG_0313.jpg

oxysback
10-31-2008, 07:43 PM
That's really cute!!

Grog
10-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Wow, I'm impressed.

Tokie
10-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Super cute! Tokie

wildhawk
10-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Awesome job!! Now I know how to turn our two hybrids into reindeer for our Christmas idea. We will be hauling our led-lit bike trailer dressed up like a sleigh with my huge teddy bear in it, but I wasn’t sure how to make DH and I look like we were riding reindeer - you have inspired me!! Have fun with the ride - hope you win the contest!

lph
11-01-2008, 01:22 AM
ohhh, very nice! That tail must have looked real pretty trailing out behind :p

And I like the slight Christmassy touch.

Mr. Bloom
11-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Well Done TJ!

Glad to see that you didn't compromise your trademark streamers on your new bike!

bikerHen
11-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Awesome job!! Now I know how to turn our two hybrids into reindeer for our Christmas idea. We will be hauling our led-lit bike trailer dressed up like a sleigh with my huge teddy bear in it, but I wasn’t sure how to make DH and I look like we were riding reindeer - you have inspired me!! Have fun with the ride - hope you win the contest!

Great idea! Thanks! Now you have my creative juices flowing for Christmas. :eek: :D I just may have to turn my BOB into Santa's sleigh. But I'm not sure how to make my spider look like Santa. :cool: bikerHen

TrekJeni
11-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Short story as we're going out to dinner - more later.

I was dismounting at the barriers on the second lap when I accidentally kicked JiJi's tail. IT FELL OFF! :eek::eek::eek:

Other than that, the front held up just fine. I will take pictures so you can see how I attached the front to the bike. The secret is to use a really really good bike box for your cardboard. Trek packs their new bikes in a double corrugated cardboard box. The Fuji's and Schwinn's aren't as strong. The Orbea's come in a good box too so maybe any of the higher end bike boxes will do!

Hit your shop up for their boxes. They're more than likely going in the trash anyways. Oh and don't wait to start your project until the day before the race either...

Oh and Mr. Silver - all of my bikes have streamers and always will - promise ;)

Jones
12-19-2008, 03:57 PM
I love your bike/horse and am thinking of doing a reindeer head on my bike for Christmas. Could you please tell me how you attached your horses head to your bike.
Thanks

TrekJeni
12-20-2008, 08:07 AM
I love your bike/horse and am thinking of doing a reindeer head on my bike for Christmas. Could you please tell me how you attached your horses head to your bike.
Thanks

Jones - the most important part of ALL of this is to use GREAT cardboard. Do not use regular cardboard from fedex, ups, pizza boxes, etc. Go to your LBS and grab a bike box or two that is really really thick. Like I said before. out of our shop, Trek and Orbea ships in the best boxes. Fuji is still good but not as great. We have people ask for the boxes all the time so don't think it's an odd request to go in there and ask. They should give you them no problem unless you catch them the morning after the recycler/garbage men have been there.

When I was designing my horse, I followed the contour of the fork. I also made "tabs" that fit right under my bars. I punched some holes through the cardboard at various spots. I'll upload some pictures so you know what I'm talking about. There's a zip tie through her nose to connect the two pieces together. This is the ONLY part where I put the cardboard together. The other zip ties were hooked to the fork. Ugh, this really needs pictures!

When do you need to get this done? I probably won't be able to upload everything until tomorrow BUT if your party is tonight, I'll get it done sooner. You'll just owe me a beer as I'll have to go to my holiday party a little later!

Streamers Jeni

Jones
12-20-2008, 04:31 PM
I totally missed your reply until now, I am not in a hurry I was hoping to have it done for Sunday night but if I don't get it done it is no big deal. Thanks so much for the help, hope you enjoy your party and I will be more than happy to buy you a beer anytime. Jones