PDA

View Full Version : Cervical biopsy... then riding?

Bluetree
10-31-2008, 05:26 AM
My ob-gyn wants me to have a cervical biopsy done as a precautionary measure. I've read the literature and know that I will be bleeding for the next week or two. No sex for at least a week (ok I can deal) but what is worse... no tampons! That means I'd have to use those bulky sanitary napkins and I have no idea if I'll be able to ride with them.

Has anyone tried riding with pads? I can't imagine doing so, esp since my saddle is a 133mm sliver.

OakLeaf
10-31-2008, 06:21 AM
Aw, hugs to you Blue, and prayers that everything turns out OK.

Speaking only from my breast biopsy this summer, unfortunately I think you'll be in too much pain to ride for the first 2-3 days anyhow, no matter what the doctors tell you (I have a pretty high pain threshold). :(

After that the bleeding shouldn't be very heavy (although if it is, I'd take it as an indication that the movement was preventing the incision site from healing, and back off). If it was me I'd just wear black shorts. Who cares if your chamois gets stained? (Assuming you have a black saddle of course.)

Keep us up to date (((((Bluetree)))))

uk elephant
10-31-2008, 06:35 AM
I had a cervical biopsy done last year and kept cycling with no problems. The bleeding wasn't much, not nearly like having a period. I used a panty liner for a day or two which didn't interfere much with cycling. No major pain either, just a little uncomfortable the same day (though I still cycled home from the hospital). Good luck and hope you have some good news from the biopsy.

tulip
10-31-2008, 06:39 AM
those pads aren't bulky anymore. They are actually very thin. Not at all like when I was in high school! Also, there's no shame in wearing undies under your shorts if that'll keep the pad in place better--at least you'll be riding your bike. Best to you for feeling better soon and positive results on the biopsy.

Tuckervill
10-31-2008, 08:29 AM
I wear a pad on occasion when I cycle. If I'm not doing an "epic" ride, it's not a problem. There won't be much bleeding after the biopsy.

Hope the biopsy comes back negative, too!

Karen

arielmoon
10-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Glad rags!

They wont break down like a disposable pad!

Bluetree
11-01-2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks gals! I had it done yesterday and boy, was it uncomfortable. At least it was over quickly. My doc doesn't think anything is wrong with me, but because I was having irregular periods she didn't want to take any chances.

On a funny note, I was talking to my closest friends (incl. some teammates - all men) and told them I wasn't going to join the Saturday ride because I was having a "procedure" done. When they asked, "What kind?" I replied, "A female kind. You don't want to know."

But they were worried so persisted in asking me. I finally told them about the procedure (in gory, graphic detail) and the fact I'd be bleeding afterwards. Then I spoke the dreaded "T-word"... Tampon.

I swear, it was like a scene from South Park. All the guys just stared at me, mouths agape. Then they all started "eew"-ing and holding their ears shut "TMI! TMI!" which made me crack up. Imagine a bunch of macho, Lycra-clad sissies doing that.

Then, while in the waiting room, I get a text message, "Good luck on your cooter. Signed, The Team" I almost we off my chair laughing. It's nice to have good buddies to relieve the tension. ;)

Running Mommy
11-01-2008, 07:41 AM
ahh blue that IS funny!!!!!

Kinda the same thing with me and the boyz in the shop. First I told them I had a doctors appt and they kept asking what was wrong. I kept saying "just my annual visit". And they kept saying "why go to the doctor if nothing is wrong??". Finally I had to explain. They looked horrified. And then when I had to go for the sonogram of the girls it was a whole new "why are you going to the doctor again??!".... Boyz! :cool::p

Now as for your procedure. Many prayers are with you. From a cervical cancer survivor. I do know that the procedures are not fun. One of mine actually made me throw up from the pain. :eek:
Keep us posted 'kay?:)

And if you need to get blood out of a chamois.... Hydrogen peroxide breaks it down.

Hugs!!
Denise

snapdragen
11-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Then, while in the waiting room, I get a text message, "Good luck on your cooter. Signed, The Team" I almost we off my chair laughing. It's nice to have good buddies to relieve the tension. ;)

That is so funny and awesome, you've got a great bunch of mates there. I've had the procedure too, it was a while ago, but I don't remember it slowing me down much. We're all different though, so listen to your body.

Bluetree
11-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Ah thanks. Aside from the procedure itself I don't feel any worse for wear. The bleeding is not what I was expecting, either. Not so much blood, as much as small "debris."

One thing that was odd, tho. I came home feeling fine, took some Motrin, then was overcome by a wave of fatigue. Must have been my body's reaction to something invasive, no matter how minor. I went instantly into "Shutdown-and-Repair Mode" and fell asleep for hours.

jesvetmed
11-01-2008, 10:33 AM
One thing that was odd, tho. I came home feeling fine, took some Motrin, then was overcome by a wave of fatigue. Must have been my body's reaction to something invasive, no matter how minor. I went instantly into "Shutdown-and-Repair Mode" and fell asleep for hours.

And don't rule out stress. Just the build-up and worry is so stressful, even if you don't think anything is wrong. Rest up and take care of yourself. Glad it's over and hopefully all will come out just fine.
J

polly4711
11-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey there,

I had to have a biopsy 'down there' too last December. The biopsy was not bad (and you've already gotten through it). I hope that everything comes out well with you.

I asked my doc if I could work out, and she said to be on the lighter side for a week and then I would be a-okay.

Let me know how you do (feel free to private message me anytime).

Julie