PDA

View Full Version : Child Bike Trailer

juliajaj
10-30-2002, 10:59 AM
My husband and I are avid tandem cyclists. I was out of commission for part of this year since I was pregnant. Our daughter is almost 12 weeks old, and we live in the midwest, so we aren't doing any cycling now. However, next year we were thinking about purchasing a Burley bike trailer to hook up to the tandem & take our daughter out riding with us. How old do you think she should be before we take her out in the trailer? I've heard anywhere from 6-18 months. I'm going to check with her pediatrician, but I thought I'd check here too. Thanks.

pennys
10-30-2002, 11:26 AM
as a mom in an active family ( mine are teens now)

I would say, experiment, work into it gradually and let the kid tell if you if it's working or not... and they will. Not sure about support for an infant body in a trailer, maybe that's why they want you to wait untill the kid can sit up. Start with around the block, then slowly add length to trips. Don't forget that they can get sun and windburned in a hurry.

One thing we did is had a baby seat that rigged up to the top tube, sitting IN FRONT of you, they can put their little hands on the handle bars. Much better balance that a fender seat ( not that you were going to do that) and you get to "be with " them more instead of them being all alone behind you. We built ours, they are available for sale but hard to find.

hth

penny s

ps keep in mind that your pediatricain may not support you being active with your kid involved... but know that parents have gone before you!!

eghammer
11-11-2002, 11:23 AM
I bought a Burley when Emmy was 16 months. She loved it; I think it was the motion of it, first, then the fact that she could be with me. I would recommend the smoothest terrain possible as you begin, and I think your child should be able to sit up by herself. Use the restraint harness because I guarantee she'll fall asleep at some point. We took ever-increasing rides, beginning with 5 miles, then 10 miles, reaching the point when we did several M.S. fund-raising rides in VA (75 miles each day over Saturday and Sunday), the 85-mile Great Peanut Ride in Emporia, VA, the length of the VA Creeper Trail and the New River Trail. I put books, toys, snacks, and drinks in with her and she would entertain herself for miles. Then she would entertain us by singing. She was 2 and a half when we started doing the really high mileages. We also did mountain bike riding on forest service roads with lots of climbing. I think it's great that you're including her. I can't think of a better way to show her that physical activity is important. She'll be learning from the people she loves most.

Wren
11-29-2002, 09:12 AM
Before my son could sit up, we just put the whole car seat into the trailer and belted it in (my trailer is an older Burley that doesn't have the molded seats - it may not work with yours). Worked wonderfully! He could ride forward and it would put him to sleep in no time. Just be careful not to ride over rough terrain or go slowly if you have to.

I used to also put him in a little bouncy chair with some toys while I spun on my trainer. He was fascinated with watching the wheels go round. Course, now that he's 3, he wants to ride in the street like Mommy :-(