PDA

View Full Version : Mt Hamilton - #2 in the Trifecta

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Jo? When are we going? Kim, Bubba and I were talking about attempting the Bay Area Trifecta before the year is over. That means we've still got Hamilton and Tam to go. Tam would be a good summer ride as it is a bit cooler. What about Hamilton?

How many routes are on that thing? Not sure that I want to do V and Thom's self-supported century but I could be talked into something involving Hamilton. You willing, Power Girl?

Veronica
05-16-2005, 02:25 PM
3 different routes I think. The backside, the front side and the Quimby side.

V.

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 02:31 PM
3 different routes I think. The backside, the front side and the Quimby side.

V.Quimby? It this a road name . . . or an anatomy lesson? :p

You have a recommendation? Best climb? Best views? Most shade?

jobob
05-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Sounds great, but it'll have to wait until mid-June if you want me to join you.

No way in creation will I be doing Quimby. No siree.

We can start at the beginning of Mt. Hamilton Ave, where it makes a T-intersection with Alum Rock Ave (and where Rt. 130 continues up to Mt. Hamilton). There's a small area where people park just across Alum Rock from the start of Mt. Hamilton Ave.

Mt. Hamilton Ave. goes directly to the summit.

Here's a google map showing the start point and the lower part of the climb:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from%2037.3840%2C-121.8161%20to%2037.3421%2C-121.7170

And here's a link to a route sheet.
http://bikemaster.home.att.net/routes/lvs002.txt
Note it starts at Linda Vista School on Kirk Ave, which is an alternative place to park if the small lot across from the start of Mt. Hamilton Ave is full - it's about a mile away from the intersection of Alum Rock and Mt. Hamilton Rd.

hth, - Jo.

Veronica
05-16-2005, 03:11 PM
We just bought a new Krebs map. Thom's trying to figure out how to do Quimby, Sierra and Calaveras as a scenic loop.

V.

PS Sarah, Quimby and Sierra both have several 3 chevron spots.

slinkedog
05-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Quimby is widely considered to be about the hardest climb in the area, barring Hicks Rd. (harder because it's longer, I think) and the On Orbit/Bohlman/On Orbit loop in Saratoga. That one has a section over 20% for a considerable distance, I believe.

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 03:31 PM
I think I've done my share of multiple 3-chevron rides for a while. I'm not available until mid-June either. I just started this thread to get our forum's Mt. Hamilton expert thinking about a group ride. We can even wait until fall. I think it would be fun to have the Trifecta as a goal this year.

I'm going home to check out the Kreb's map (after hitting up Blockbuster). Thanks, girls. :)

Veronica
05-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Quimby is widely considered to be about the hardest climb in the area...

So, you know we HAVE to do it. At least once. :D

V.

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Just looked at the route sheet - looks like just about the right ratio of climbing to miles for Yellow.

slinkedog
05-16-2005, 03:35 PM
V... LOL! I was just looking at a site with some info on the climb... it is about 2100 ft. of climbing over 5 miles, but it starts out modestly and gets hard at the end. You guys can do it!!

Oh... and Blaine may be able to help you figure a route. He's done that whole area quite a bit. Let me know if you want his input. :)

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 03:38 PM

V.Can I go the long way and meet you at the top?

slinkedog
05-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Oh, SK... is it movie night? If so, you'll be in my thoughts.

Veronica
05-16-2005, 04:01 PM
V... LOL! I was just looking at a site with some info on the climb... it is about 2100 ft. of climbing over 5 miles, but it starts out modestly and gets hard at the end. You guys can do it!!

Oh... and Blaine may be able to help you figure a route. He's done that whole area quite a bit. Let me know if you want his input. :)

How about if you two led a ride? :p Nothing like putting you on the spot huh.

V.

slinkedog
05-16-2005, 04:06 PM
We would really like to sometime. However, at this point, I'm still only able to do about 40 miles, tops and my climbing abilities are pretty much non-existent. So I'll keep working and we'll have you guys down when I'm a little stronger. Or, you guys can go out with Blaine and do Hicks/Shannon/Kennedy and some other stuff and I'll stay home and cook the after-ride meal!! :)

Veronica
05-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Hey, never sell yourself short. When you started riding, did you think you'd be able to do 40 miles? Every bit you accomplish is good!

V.

aka_kim
05-16-2005, 05:27 PM
In addition to talk of a trifecta, SK also mentioned a FLAT(TER) ride that more locals might be interested in. How about the area around you Slinkedog, Uvas and the other reservoirs? Is a mild 50 miler a possibility?

And changing the topic again, I'll ask the guys at work about weekend Mt. Tam traffic.

jobob
05-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Well, maybe I'll change my mind after mid-June after my life regains some semblance of normalcy, but at the moment you can count me out if you plan on going up Quimby or any of the other 3-chevrons around there, I really don't enjoy that sensation of my eyeballs crossing in the back of my head. :p

Mt. Hamilton Road supposedly never exceeds a wimpoid 7% grade (it was built for horse-drawn carts to lug the telescope up to the observatory).

Been there, done that, enjoyed it. :)

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 06:52 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: I just got home from dinner but I forgot to go to Blockbuster because Bubba got all wound-up over dinner. He actually proposed that we go for a 100,000 ft climbing goal for the year. :eek: :eek: :eek: So, all thoughts of movies went out of my head. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok, after this weekend I'll break 50,000 which is still way over my normal total. But the heatwaves are a'coming and mtbiking time is here and . . . :eek: you girls have turned my hubby into a monster. I can't believe HE raised the topic.

The boys at the LBS tonight (Andrew's place of employment) think we should do Quimby but at least do the "first bump" which Jo's route includes. They also think road traffic is horrendous on Tam.

A couple more :eek: :eek: :eek: just for good measure. :D

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 06:53 PM
However, at this point, I'm still only able to do about 40 miles, tops and my climbing abilities are pretty much non-existent. So I'll keep working and we'll have you guys down when I'm a little stronger. Nobody said we had to do it tomorrow or only one time (I can't believe I said that last part). :rolleyes:

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 07:21 PM

V.
Ok, you and Yellow can do Quimby and meet Jo and me at the junction.

CorsairMac
05-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Ok...I have to ask since I'm following this whole thread:

SadieKate: is the red line shooting off into nowhere your heartrate at the thought of doing this climb?.....or is it an actual gird line of ?something? :p

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 07:40 PM
It's the girdle under my skirtle, oh no, that was Fixedgirl's line. The red line is Quimby Road compared to Jo's proposed route up Mt Hamilton Rd. They actually join at a junction before continuing on Mt Ham Rd to the peak. So, if you survive the climb up Quimby you have to drop down to the junction and then re-gain the lost elevation.

jobob
05-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Looks like fun, eh?

slinkedog
05-17-2005, 06:22 AM
In addition to talk of a trifecta, SK also mentioned a FLAT(TER) ride that more locals might be interested in. How about the area around you Slinkedog, Uvas and the other reservoirs? Is a mild 50 miler a possibility?

We would love to host a reservoirs ride. We could do a loop from our house, around Calero, Chesbro, see a little of Gilroy and come back around Uvas and then have some vittles at the house afterwards. It would be nice to do it soon because everything is still so gorgeous and green back there. I was just out there Saturday and the wildflowers are beautiful. But I'd like to wait until Jobob could go with us.

And if we wanted to add in a harder section for those who want to do some serious climbs, Blaine could take you guys over the New Almaden/Hicks loop on the way back and those of us who want to skip 3 chevron roads could go with me back to the house.

And V, you're right! I'm so glad I've made the progress I have. I just don't want to hold everyone else up. I'm working hard for either the Giro di Peninsula or the Holstein Hundred, so hopefully I'll be able to ride the same routes as you guys (at least partly) soon!

Veronica
05-17-2005, 06:44 AM
I just don't want to hold everyone else up.

You won't. :)

I think one of the best things about the group rides we've been doing is how supportive the group as a whole is. It seems like my last few rides up Diablo I have felt like crap and been so SLOW. And they still invite me on their rides. Seriously, this is the way I envisioned a club being. We don't ride together the whole time. But we make sure everyone gets where we're going, with reasonable regroups.

And you'd think it was just because we're a bunch of chicks, but all the guys that come along are great too. Even the ones I'm not married to. So don't heistate to join us.

V.

snapdragen
05-17-2005, 07:15 AM
There are some fun climbs around the reservoirs too - Willow Springs, Llagas, Bailey (although I don't like Bailey, too many cars for me), Croy.

Another thought I had, if we could all make it up Croy there is a picnic/camping area - it's really pretty.

Since I'm sidelined for a bit with "tennis elbow" (wtf! I don't play tennis), I'll play around with my maps.

aka_kim
05-17-2005, 07:20 AM
I'll join the wimpoids since I have no interest in doing Quimby.

My very authoritative source says the west side is prettier and easier, but has more traffic; and that it will soon be getting too hot and dry to do the somewhat harder east side.

SadieKate
05-17-2005, 08:09 AM
You won't. :)

I think one of the best things about the group rides we've been doing is how supportive the group as a whole is. It seems like my last few rides up Diablo I have felt like crap and been so SLOW. But you always go zipping down waaaay faster so it all evens out. Besides, we all go through stages. It shall pass (and I wasn't referring to the pork).

Slinke - this is not a group that gets all huffy about various riding speeds. It's about whether you are good company.

yellow
05-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Nobody said we had to do it tomorrow or only one time (I can't believe I said that last part). :rolleyes:

Oh! Be still my heart! I love that you are developing a special fondness for hills. It makes me feel so much better...like I'm not some sort of an anadamide freak. There really is something to the challenge, feeling the body work through it, and the triumph, whether you're having a good day or a bad day. (Too bad there isn't a smilie with little happy tears rolling out of its eyes.)

:)

SadieKate
05-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Oh! Be still my heart! I love that you are developing a special fondness for hills. . . . :)Did you see the above post and the wild goal Bubba popped up with last night?

I've always loved climbing on my mtbike bike, just haven't liked it on the road.

yellow
05-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Did you see the above post and the wild goal Bubba popped up with last night?

Yes, but we already know that Bubba is a complete MADMAN! But he's a smart one, so there must be some sort of very logical explanation. Can't wait to hear it.

Back to the topic, you guys plan whatever on Mt Hamilton and it'll go on my calendar. Climbing is always good, but "prettier and easier" is nearly as appealing. Heck, to quote free Martha, "It's all good".

yellow
05-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Oh aka_Kim, I just saw your under-the-name line. That is very, very good. :cool: I may use that at an opportune time in the future, but I'll be sure to give you credit.

aka_kim
05-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Oh aka_Kim, I just saw your under-the-name line. That is very, very good. :cool: I may use that at an opportune time in the future, but I'll be sure to give you credit.
Oh, I wish I were (that) clever. I saw it somewhere (Bicycling mag maybe) several years ago, and it popped back into my head recently... can't imagine why. So use it freely, when called for.