PDA

View Full Version : Pet bereavement

badger
10-26-2008, 04:42 PM
I don't frequent here, but I recall someone mentioning a pet bereavement support group online?

I just lost my lovely Chevy and am having a very hard time coping with his loss.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/nvwolf/DSCF2352.jpg

Tri Girl
10-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I don't have the support group info, but I wanted to tell you that I'm really sorry for your loss. :( I grieve along with you, and know just how hard it can be. I'm sorry your Chevy is gone. :( ((((hugs))))

CyclChyk
10-26-2008, 05:07 PM
He has a beautiful and kind face. I am so sorry for your loss.

You might want to check out www.petloss.com. Don't know if its the one you were thinking of, but it might be worth looking into.

Sending hugs your way.

squirrell
10-26-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry you lost your friend. I lost one of my dogs over 2 years ago and I still grieve for him. Nelson was one of the best!
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll135/shorerider_2008/nels1.jpg

makbike
10-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Badger,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know this is a very difficult time for you. For what it is worth my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Is there a vet school nearby? If so you might want to contact them for they often offer help in dealing with the loss of a pet. I know some vet schools actually have their vet students man the phones and they talk to you.

You might also check out the Rainbow Bridge website for it will offer help in dealing with the your loss.

Take care of yourself.

badger
10-26-2008, 05:32 PM
thank you, Chevy really was the gentlest, politest, and the kindest dog I've ever met. I will miss him terribly.

I actually found that rainbowbridge site, and was bawling my eyes out writing a tribute to him. It really does suck, but he did have a full life. Any pain I feel is strictly selfish in missing him and dealing with some guilt.

thank you all for your kind words.

Naomi

OakLeaf
10-26-2008, 05:59 PM
((((((Naomi))))))

Cry as much as you need to. Don't feel "selfish." You've lost one you loved and one who loved you back.

I've found a lot of comfort in both the online sites and in-person support groups.

LBTC
10-26-2008, 06:02 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Badger}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Sending you hugs and butterflies to carry away your sadness and guilt on their gossamer wings. Chevy will see them and know you were thinking of him.

And all of our fur friends already at the Rainbow bridge are there greeting him, and showing him around. Yogi, Ted, Gyro, Norton and Bill and so many others are there as he transitions into the beautiful wholeness of the bridge...

Hugs,
~T~

emily_in_nc
10-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Awww, Badger, you have my sympathies. We lost our Pepper in Dec. 2006, and it is such a hard thing -- she was such a part of the family and nearly 15 years old. It took a long time to feel ready, but we got a puppy this spring and adore her. It's so nice having the pitter-patter of doggie feet around again, but we'll never stop missing and loving Pepper.

I hope your memories of Chevy will bring you smiles one day. I know right now it's very, very hard.

Emily

solobiker
10-26-2008, 06:25 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.

carpaltunnel
10-26-2008, 06:47 PM
{{{{{Badger}}}}}
I'm right there with you, tears in my eyes thinking about how you feel right now. Try to remember the good times. Aren't animals wonderful - such an immense capacity for love. You gave him a wonderful life, so have no regrets. I'm thinking about you.

PamNY
10-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Oh, he has a lovely face -- looks so sweet and inquisitive. The pain of losing a dog is just awful. I'm so sorry you are feeling it now, but it seems to be the price we pay for loving them so much.

I hope time and happy memories bring you peace. I agree with calling a vet school or larger animal hospital to find out if there's a bereavement group near you.

Pam

mary9761
10-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I lost my 14 and a half year old black cat Smokey 3 years ago and it still seems like yesterday. I miss him terribly :(:(:( From my heart to yours... This is from http://petloss.com/

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Lifesgreat
10-26-2008, 08:04 PM
(((Badger)))

badger
10-26-2008, 08:31 PM
thank you so very much, everyone. I don't know you, and you don't know me, yet there is such comfort in reading your words. And thank you for posting the rainbow bridge passage. It's making me cry, but I can hope that one day I'll see Chevy again, running like he never could, whole and happy.

I never believed in heaven but I also have never lost anyone so very dear to me that I'm willing to believe in it, just so I can hope that one day I'll see him again.

It breaks my heart all the more for animals who never find forever homes.

jesvetmed
10-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Badger -- I'm so sorry about your loss. Chevy looked like a beautiful soul and such a sweet face.

http://www.avma.org/careforanimals/animatedjourneys/goodbyefriend/plhotlines.asp

This is a link to a website with multiple listings of Pet Loss hotlines and information on their websites. It is listed by the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) and should be fairly reputable list. If you are still looking for information, there should be plenty there.

I hope that time takes away the hurt, and you are left with lots of beautiful memories of Chevy.
Jes

smilingcat
10-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Dear Badger,

It is never fair to lose your love. The deep saddness we all feel are reflection of how we really feel about the animals we love. And we all miss our special buddy. Your Chevy looks like a wonderful sweet boy with wonderful smile.
Only words I can give is, Chevy is in a place where he is free of his old age and yes he wil be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

All of us here have lost our beloved dogs and cats. And we all have grieved over our loss so we do understand very well. I still miss my boy from 2 years ago. And still think about my other boy from 8 years ago. Thank you for trusting us and talking with us.

with deepest sympathy,
Smilingcat

carpaltunnel
10-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Well said, Similingcat.

Velobambina
10-27-2008, 04:52 AM
Badger

Chevy flew through your heart right into heaven! My Agnes will show Chevy all the best romping spots at Rainbow Bridge.

I think that dogs are too good for this earth -- that's why they don't have to stay here as long as humans.

I understand what you're going through. I lost my sweet girl Agnes to cancer in May '07 - she was my heart. I have three other golden retrievers, including a puppy who joined us last October, but there will never ever be a replacement for Agnes. She was that special, as I'm sure Chevy was to you.

You might never get over the loss. I realize now that I won't get over losing my Big Agnes, but that's ok. I know I'll see her again, as you will your sweetheart.

big hugs to you. Chevy is watching over you and you know you will smooch that fluffy, gorgeous face again some day.

sbctwin
10-27-2008, 05:15 AM
{{{{Badger}}}} I am sorry for your loss. It is so difficult letting go of one who loved you unconditionally. Chevy was loved by you and you gave him a wonderful life....

Brandi
10-27-2008, 06:40 AM
I never forget any of my furry friends that I have lost. It is hard. But I am glad I had them in my life. And when one passes it opens the door for another in our house (after about a year, we never go out right away and start looking it doesn't fill the hole for us). Take your time and let the healing process do it's thing.

tc1
10-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Sorry about your Chevy dog. He looks like a friendly boy. I know he is watching over you. I still miss my girl who went on last year, and she was a cranky old rhymes with witch dog.

Miranda
10-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I am so sorry for you loss. I had to put down my sweet yellow lab this summer and it was so hard for me. Eventhough we have a new puppy now, I still miss my yellow girl in so many ways. Comforting thoughts coming your way (((hugs))). Miranda

michelem
10-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Big HUGS to you in this time of loss, Badger. I have decided that my "kids" are never allowed to die! That takes care of that!

Seriously, I think I'll be in for a REALLY rough patch when they do go. Please take gentle care of yourself.

sundial
10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Badger, I'm so sorry about your beautiful Chevy. His eyes are so gentle...so full of life. What a terrible loss for you. http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sad/sad0121.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-unhappy-smileys.php) I hope you find some comfort with each morning that comes.

badger
10-28-2008, 11:23 PM
thank you, everyone.

It brings me comfort to know that he was loved by so many people, I would even say he had more friends than me!!

The support I've been getting has restored my faith in humanity, but also reminds me just how many animals out there don't have forever homes.

I brought Chevy back home with me from the SPCA 6.5 years ago. He was found wandering the streets with no collar. He did have a tattoo and they knew his name was Chevy, but for some reason he wasn't reunited with his guardian.

I volunteer at the SPCA hospital and see so many animals come through the doors with horrendous wrongs done by humans. And yet their spirits are always so pure, they still trust people. Take today for instance. There was a beautiful retriever cross with horrible burns to her face and flank. There were no reports of house fires in the neighbourhood, and nobody's come to claim her.

I'm not really sure where this post is going, it's a bit rambling, but I guess it's comforting to know on one hand that Chevy was loved and had a forever home, but there are so many more who don't or have been mistreated by humans.

It warms my heart to know that so many of you on this site love your fur babies, and I think that speaks volumes of someone's heart. If you can't love animals, there's something fundamentally lacking in your life.

jesvetmed
10-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Badger: Thank you for your volunteer work. That is so difficult to see. But seeing them go to new, good homes hopefully helps. I don't know how you don't take everyone home with you -- I just cannot even go in there without getting depressed. I see too many surrendered pets at our office due to finances. We take them instead of euthanize them.... it's just so hard.

It's good to know there are people out there with such big hearts for the furry ones of the world. Keep up the good work... it's good for the heart. ;)

badger
10-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Jes, are you a vet?

All throughout my childhood, all I ever wanted to be was a vet. Too bad I never could get my mind around numbers!?!? :confused:

I found volunteering at the hospital hard initially, but I hate to say it but I have to basically shut myself off or I WILL be taking all of them home! I just have to believe that the good folks at the hospital will do the right thing for the animals. Incidentally, I started volunteering there because I decided at the age of 27 to go for vet school. But alas, I have let that dream go, but still volunteer there 10 years later.

I just got a sympathy card from the Vet who helped me and Chevy. It spoke such volumes.

I also found a local organization dedicating themselves to the care of abandoned senior animals. Since much of my life revolves around senior animals (my two cats are 15 and 10 years old), I have such a big place for them in my heart. If only more people realized just how wonderful older animals are.

Meaux
10-30-2008, 06:45 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my cat, Boots, over 10 years ago to feline leukemia and I still get teary eyed if I think about it too much. (I'll probably go and squeeze my cats when I'm done with this post. :) ) Losing a pet is a horrible thing, and I think it is made even more horrible by the fact that a lot of people do not thing that it is a grievable event. I hope that your days will be made brighter by the fact that you are helping so many other animals.

jesvetmed
10-31-2008, 02:14 PM
Jes, are you a vet?

All throughout my childhood, all I ever wanted to be was a vet. Too bad I never could get my mind around numbers!?!?

I found volunteering at the hospital hard initially, but I hate to say it but I have to basically shut myself off or I WILL be taking all of them home! I just have to believe that the good folks at the hospital will do the right thing for the animals. Incidentally, I started volunteering there because I decided at the age of 27 to go for vet school. But alas, I have let that dream go, but still volunteer there 10 years later.

Yes, I'm a vet. I went back to school starting at 28 yrs old. Funny that you thought about it around the same time. It must be a time in our lives when we re-evaluate. It was a great decision for me mentally. I love what I do. But financially, it is late in life to take on so much debt. I refer to my student loans as "my mortgage".

I'm glad that you find the volunteer work so rewarding -- it can be difficult, but still extremely rewarding. I also find I have to "turn off" a lot of times.

Good for you on the senior pet project -- they are unfortunately the ones overlooked at shelters by people adopting. They are the best loving pets, and often don't find homes. Very sad.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

nancielle
11-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Badger,

So sorry for your loss. :( Chevy has such a sweet face. You gave him something that way too many animals never get, a loving home.

I know that my own Susie, Greta, Kelly & Licorice will be there to also keep him company and play with Chevy over at the Rainbow Bridge.

I was going to post the link that jesvetmed did. Chloe & Hunter's vet has pamphlets in the office about grieving a lost fur family member. A colleague recently lost her beloved GSD, Lady, and I had gotten a pamphlet for her (so Lady will also be there for Chevy...she's very calm, patient and loves to take long walks.)

Some other sites to try:

http://www.2ndchance.info/grieving.htm

http://www.lightning-strike.com/pet-loss-websites.htm

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/coping_with_the_death_of_your_pet/

invsblwmn
11-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Badger,
So sorry for your losing Badger. He looks like the kind of friend that is always by your side and loves without tiring. There is nothing that can fill the hole that our friends leave when they pass on. They have a special place and always will. I am sending you as much healing energy as I can spare. Please give yourself time to cry, time to remember, time to be... We are all here for you. HUGS!!!

badger
11-02-2008, 01:41 PM
thank you all for your thoughts and words.

It's been quite a week. Some times during the day, I feel okay. At work there's no association with Chevy so it's easier to get by through the day. And being near other people helps, too. But it's always difficult coming home and not hearing the click of his nails on the floor coming to greet me.

My one cat that was close to Chevy is having a really hard time adjusting to life without Chevy. I won't say he internalizes or attaches emotion, but he's definitely thrown out of his routine and is acting out. He's more agitated and restless, and is more demanding of my affections. He used to come out with us during Chevy's toilet trips to the alleyway, and Morley (cat) really is affected by the lack of that routine. In the morning and in the evening around the time we did these trips, he would just constantly meow and is very agitated. Morley used to boss Chevy around, and now that his side kick's gone, he seems rather lost.

Poor thing. I'm taking him out and that seems to help a bit, so I'm almost thinking that he's filling in Chevy's shoes. A cog (cat/dog), so to speak!

It will definitely take time for us to adjust to Chevy's loss, but each day gets better. And I must say, the Rainbow Bridge has helped ease my thoughts a lot.