PDA

View Full Version : Root River Trail

brok
05-15-2005, 03:46 PM
I have been thinking about trying the Root River and Preston-Harmony trails in southeast Minn. Has anyone ridden these trails. I understand they are paved trails that follow the Root River. The internet sites make them sound very inviting. Any information would be appreciated. :)

MomOnBike
05-15-2005, 07:38 PM
I don't know about the Root River Trail, but if it is like the other trails I rode in MN, go for it. From what I saw, trails are well-paved, with facilities at reasonable intervals, and go through some nice country.

Ride it, I would. I think you'll enjoy yourself.

annie
05-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Brok,

I've been on the Root River Trail. Very pretty. Very easy riding. The trail is in good condition. If you go, make sure to stop in Lanesboro. I would guess it's the most popular stop along the trail. Unique little town. A couple of nice restaurants, tho' I can't recall the names. A nice bar on the main street. Fun little shops.

I've only been there in the fall. There's an annual Halloween ride each year where you ride dressed in costume. It is a very beautiful time of the year to ride.

Have fun!

annie

brok
08-02-2005, 06:11 AM
Just wanted to report that the Root River and Preston-Harmony trails are very nice. I would recommend them highly. Saw lots of different types of cyclists - road, comfort, families, etc. Well kept trails, nice little towns along the way (with ice cream :D ), pretty bluffs and valleys. I will definitely venture back to this area to ride again. The tubing/canoeing/kayaking looks like fun too!!

RedCanny
08-12-2005, 06:45 AM
I too recommend the Root River trail. We got onto it in Lanesboro last weekend, and rode ~ 4 mi. down to Whalen to have some pie at the "famed" Aroma Pie Shoppe (yum). It's a beautiful, very gently rolling, paved trail (one of the rails-to-trails conversions). Crosses a few really cute old bridges, from which you see plenty people enjoying the river via tubes & canoes. Here's some detailed info; I guess the whole trail is 42 miles long.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_trails/blufflands/root_river.html

Right on the trail in Lanesboro there's a nice little coffee/ice cream/sandwich shop, with shaded outdoor seating. They make a really good Cubano coffee there.