PDA

View Full Version : Spin Room Decor

Miranda
10-23-2008, 05:12 PM
My gym's spin room was just re-located to a new home in the building. Our old room was a convert also from something else, but this one is a bit better:). However, it still could use something...

After class today, we were discussing a couple things that could give the room more atmosphere.

Just curious if anyone has something in your room that you particularly like:cool:, find inspiring, could not live without, etc. ...or maybe even something you could live without.

Thx for any thoughts!

Miranda
10-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Here's a couple examples of things I know of from other places that I have heard about...

* a wall painted with a mountain scene to inspire climbing I assume...

* one wall bricked like the outside of a building... some folks said they felt like it was riding in the city, sorta like an alley or old urban building...

* we have glow in the dark stars now, and a black light... it's like racing an adventure in the night

But then again, I have a pretty active imagination:rolleyes::D.

Miranda
10-29-2008, 04:37 PM
OK, now we have xmas twinkle lights hanging from the ceiling. Actually it works pretty well. It gives compromise between those that want it black, and those who want the light all the way on. I think they could switch out the colors to holiday coordinate. Like organge now for Halloween.

*see prior post regarding my imagination:p

KeepingUp
12-11-2008, 11:26 PM
The glow in the dark idea sounds sooo funnn. I'd definitely attend a class with that!

Possegal
12-12-2008, 06:24 AM
i want to spin at miranda's gym!
:)

my gym's spin rooms are very boring. i went to spin once at a spin club in pittsburgh and they had two big flat screens at the front and they ran a video of the thrift drug classic race of years gone by when lance won (i think it was his first win after his comeback after cancer). it was quite neat to be climbing while watching these guys climbing the hills of pittsburgh!

Miranda
12-13-2008, 12:34 AM
The glow in the dark idea sounds sooo funnn. I'd definitely attend a class with that!

i want to spin at miranda's gym!
:)

my gym's spin rooms are very boring. i went to spin once at a spin club in pittsburgh and they had two big flat screens at the front and they ran a video of the thrift drug classic race of years gone by when lance won (i think it was his first win after his comeback after cancer). it was quite neat to be climbing while watching these guys climbing the hills of pittsburgh!

HA... yea, come on down... We'll make room for you;):).

One of our instructors, that loves disco music, and I call her the disco queen as such, brought in her globe sized disco ball and has it sitting in front of the room too. Don't panic, we don't have disco music non-stop:p.

I said I would like to see some of those big body builder boys come out of the weigh room in John Trevolta white disco suits from Saturday Night Live and dance in the front of the room lol:D.

Ya never know... ask and you might receive:rolleyes:...

Crankin
12-14-2008, 10:14 AM
I started back to spin classes about 2 weeks ago. The same women in the same class as last winter were complaining about the fact that the room was in the middle of being painted yellow, from dark blue. The paint job is now completed and it makes the room much brighter.
I like it, but I guess most of the clients have something about being in the dark, which I hate. In the end, I don't care what the room looks like, I am there for a work out and some decent music, which was in short supply yesterday. I had to go to the class at a time when I knew the instructor would be playing music that sounds like the aerobics tapes I used in the 80s, with the constant disco beat in a remix. Even though they are all different songs, they all sound the same, with the bpms pitched to a crazy high cadence. While the class itself is OK, I can't stand the music. I prefer real music with "different" sounds. I don't want to sound harsh, because I know how hard it is to be an instructor, but there is a difference between the instructors who ride outside and those who don't.

Miranda
12-15-2008, 11:45 PM
I started back to spin classes about 2 weeks ago. The same women in the same class as last winter were complaining about the fact that the room was in the middle of being painted yellow, from dark blue. The paint job is now completed and it makes the room much brighter.
I like it, but I guess most of the clients have something about being in the dark, which I hate. In the end, I don't care what the room looks like, I am there for a work out and some decent music, which was in short supply yesterday. I had to go to the class at a time when I knew the instructor would be playing music that sounds like the aerobics tapes I used in the 80s, with the constant disco beat in a remix. Even though they are all different songs, they all sound the same, with the bpms pitched to a crazy high cadence. While the class itself is OK, I can't stand the music. I prefer real music with "different" sounds. I don't want to sound harsh, because I know how hard it is to be an instructor, but there is a difference between the instructors who ride outside and those who don't.

Maybe there is a way you could give her a tip on music? I'm certified to teach, but not in practice to date. The gym had some cut backs with the economy, so I'm on hold. I would welcome any music input. I do know what you mean. One of ours is all about that 80s music and disco. I swear she only has a couple CDs. And, music cost $ for the profiles. Some gyms reimburse a flat fee to teachers for music. Ours does not.

Also, I do know exactly what you mean about outside riders and inside ones. I attend classes that have both types. The outside ones gossip about the more aerobics based teachers. If they are subing... they will not come to class. They stay home and ride their trainers/rollers instead. The "go-team-disco-funk-aerobics" group hates the techical roadies. People can be really mean. It's like a freakin cult:eek:.

One thing I have going for me is that I'm hybrid. I was a 20yr aerobics person. Then I re-found my bike outside, plus spin class. I hope I can give em both something to be happy about.

Yea... on the room paint... they should spin it a lil harder and not worry so much;). I think the twinkle lights are a good compromise.

Crankin
12-16-2008, 11:06 AM
I agree, they should be happy that they have mostly excellent people there to teach them, rather than complaining about the room color.
I had to pay for my own tapes, so I understand the expense, but I know nothing about music, so I could justify it.
I wouldn't say anything to this person about her music, since I rarely attend her class. We don't seem to have so much cattiness about roadie vs. aerobics,it's just sort of obvious. I was at at a 9:30 AM class, which I call the "housewife" class... please forgive me about making assumptions about these people, but it's been pretty much the same at this time no matter who is teaching. Same at step class, too.