PDA

View Full Version : Buying spinning shoes

julesey
10-22-2008, 09:35 AM
I have been spinning 4 times a week for a few months now and I love it! Just lately I've been having a lot of foot pain when I'm standing up on my bike and I decided it's time to invest in a good pair of cycling shoes instead of just wearing my sneakers.

I am a senior in college and I'm hoping to invest in a decent road bike in about a year when I graduate and can afford it. I'm hoping to get some road shoes now that I can use for both indoor spinning and riding outdoors once I get my bike.

Any suggestions?

Smilie
10-22-2008, 09:43 AM
I wear a pair of mountain biking shoes when I spin or on my road bike. I had the pedals changed to fit my shoes. I think they are Shimanos.

I am sure someone else will give you more helpful info! Welcome to TE.

aicabsolut
10-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Given your foot pain and desire to get a road bike, I would advise you to get some decent enough road or mountain shoes for the spin classes that are on sale and not top of the line. A fiberglass/plastic sole will be just fine for spinning. Stiff enough for that yet cheap, and it'd be easier to find a road shoe with the 2 bold SPD pattern. (I'm assuming that you're using those double sided pedals and it's not a place where you can bring in your own pedals). These shoes could easily cost less than your running shoes and will last forever for spin workouts.

Then when you get a road bike, get a nice pair of road shoes that are a bit stiffer (carbon if you can afford it and don't have any foot problems that would make carbon bad for you like a nerve problem, etc.). With these shoes, get a wide platform road pedal system like SPD-SL, Look, Speedplay, etc. This will probably give you the better comfort and performance you will be looking for with your road bike.

This is what I did, and it has worked out great for me. When I was budgeting for the road bike, I took things like shoes into account. My spin shoes were cheap and about 2 years old by that time (I was also a student putting off the big road bike purchase). They are still going strong as spin shoes, but I am very happy to use a different pedal system on my road bike.

sallyo
05-08-2011, 04:15 AM
I bought a pair on ebay for $15. They are excellent and were in great shape.

nscrbug
05-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I wear a pair of MTB shoes for spinning classes...and a pair of road shoes for road riding. It's what works best for me because I find that I can't wear the MTB shoes much longer than a 45 minute spin class because I tend to get "hot spots" on my feet due to the smaller contact area of the SPD pedals/cleats. My road bike has SPD-SL pedals which are more comfortable for my feet due to the much larger contact area, thus distributing the weight more evenly on my feet.

Raindrop
06-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Most indoor bikes are compatible with SPD clips. Also, many if not most clubs prefer you to wear Mountain bike shoes because of the recessed clip that won't scratch their floors. At least that's been my experience over the last decade and a half, and working for at least seven different places.

MAMIMELIMEL
07-17-2011, 07:38 PM
would these work for indoor spinning classes? :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041HX8E8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER