PDA

View Full Version : AeroBars

RoadRaven
05-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi there everyone

Although I'm not a brand new rider, I am new to aero bars...

I did a search for aerobars and for aero bars and didn't find anything that obviously answered the question I'm about to ask

I ultimately want to time trial at a competitive level in club races

Of course, part of this is using "the gear". My partner has fitted some aero bars to my lovely red pony, and suggested I just have a go when I feel comfortable...

Advice from my family has been - not down-hill, not in a cross-wind, not when with others...

So I have been trying to use them and I can see how they will eventually feel comfortable, but right now they feel incredibly foreign and not part of me at all (comparing it to how the bike feels like an extension of me)

I use only on flat straights, but can only seem to manage a few hundred metres (read yards) at a time before i feel like I'm gonna wobble outta control...

Any hints from anyone out there? How best to minimise the wobbles and increase the balance? How long before they feel like an extension of my arms?

Thanks in anticipation...

singletrackmind
05-14-2005, 06:06 PM
I used aerobars for the first time during RAGBRAI and by 200 miles more or less (less than 3 days) they felt normal (other than my knees kept smacking into my boobs) and (otherwise) comfortable.

As for the wobbles/balance thing, since my main ride is a mountain bike I think a lot of balance things came from my experience with it. For the wobbles-go faster, but don't crash! I'd feel horrible if you crashed because you went faster so make sure you feel pretty sure of yourself first.

I think it will really depend on you and your balance and of course, amount of time you spend on them. :)

Roadrunner
05-15-2005, 05:05 AM
I'm thinking of buying aerobars for my roadbike. Someone told me they would help my shoulder problem (i had a frozen right shoulder and now it sometimes hurts like red hot needles around the shoulder blade) when I ride.
Are they easy to get used to? and are some better than others? :confused:

RoadRaven
05-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Well, I've been out for a 40km training ride (I think that's around 25 miles) and rode most of the flat stretches on the aeros...

I feel that maybe they might start to feel like part of me soon - whereas when I started this thread I thought they would always feel like a chunk of stuff attached to the front of the bike.

Thanks for your words, singletrackmind... as I experimented I did find that faster was better and did find using them made me faster. I think you have another advantage (apart from experience) with the mountain bike as far as balance goes simply because its heavier. My red pony weighs next to nothing... lol, when I was a kid I used to bike all the time hands free, I wouldn't dream of doing that now simply because I make my bike top heavy!!!

Margaret, I think I am getting used to them - it is nice to have another place to put my hands/arms... but it feels quite unusual to have your arms and hands down the middle of the bike. Your body position is forward and low, but that doesn't bother me too much cause I like to ride on the drops anyways, but if you like to ride in a more upright position, this might be a factor in you getting used to them also.

I don't know if they would help your shoulder but they certainly give relief to my hands and forearms.

singletrackmind
05-15-2005, 05:23 PM
COOL!! :cool:

The aeros are on my road bike, btw. Anyway, I don't know that I could give any advice as to which to buy. Mine are kind of heavy compared to the really light stuff but they have padded places for my elbows that spring up out of the way when I'm not using them. The best thing about mine is that a medium sized watermellon can be bungy-corded onto them. Talk about a handling nightmare! :eek: I'd do about anything for a good watermellon!

Yubagirl
05-20-2005, 08:05 PM
i asked an experienced ex-racer about aero bars when i bought my bike..he said they are not for everyone, and also used on straight flats. sorry i couldnt offer more. if im not mistaken you have stated your from boston? when i visited boston i couldnt believe the drivers there..in the city that is..i lived and commuted on my bike in san francisco for years and got used to the crazy drivers. where do you ride in boston..and you must get adrenaline rushes doing it! i guess id feel like frodo and sam riding a bike in boston/middleearth :eek:

RoadRaven
05-22-2005, 01:59 AM
LOL
I'm not from Boston...
You must be one of the folks that has not become a victim to The Lord of the Rings trilogy... all filmed here in New Zealand, or in other words... Middle Earth! Although you do mention Frodo and Sam...

I live about 2 hours drive from Mt Doom and about half a day from Rivendell!

Never been to Boston... though love Joan Baez's song that asks so sweetly "Please come to Boston..."

I'm really liking the aeros... they're quite light hand-me-downs... I need to like them anyways coz I need them if i want to be even half way competitive time-trialling

Thanks for all your thoughts ladies. Much appreciated

annie
05-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Someone ( a well-known bike racer whose name I am blanking out on) once said, concerning aerobars; "When you use aerobars, you are all legs and lungs." You focus on breathing and pedaling - and you go FAST! :cool:
I love mine. I only use them when I feel it's safe to do so. They are great if you ever do a time trial. Also good for relaxing your hands and shoulders on long or windy rides. On windy days (all we ever seem to have here) it's one more strategy in escaping the worst of the gusts. Bottom line is that they make me feel faster and that is hard to resist. :rolleyes: Once you get used to them, you'll never want to give them up.

annie

RoadRaven
05-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Rode to work yesterday morning - its about 25km - and all the straightish flats and false flats I used the aero bars
Annie - like you suggest - they are quickly becoming addictive
I felt terrible in a cross-wind though and went back to the drops, just too little control as of yet
But into the wind, or no wind at all (it was a kind of gusty morning, wind couldn't make up its mind, plus lots of direction change in the road) they are brilliant

My neck is a bit stiff though, but it will get used to it :p

MM_QFC!
05-24-2005, 01:03 PM
RoadRaven - I got aerobars a few years ago when planning to ride a double century (1-day). The route was perfect for it - lots of long, windy flats and gentle grades - a LBS owner/friend cautioned me up front about being wobbly at first and not to ever paceline using them, as the control is not there. She also said they add approx. 1 mph to your avg and provide a number of options to add to the position on a bike. So, I used them for the aerodynamics and then on the really long rides, it feels great to just stretch out for a few minutes and relax too. I was going to take them on/off but ended up leaving them on one of my road bikes as I was on longer rides more often. Glad to hear you enjoy them and that they're becoming more comfortable for your training too.

Tar-Cat
05-27-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm seeing a physical therapist right now for some shoulder problems (basically, my ligaments are too lose and my rotator cuff isn't strong enough). The first time I went I asked if cycling was still allowed and she said aerobars would be my best bet becasue being in that position would encourage co-contraction of all the supporting shoulder muscles and would be like strengthening without realizing it. She didn't think that being upright (hand on the flat part of the handlebars as opposed to in the drops) was a very good idea. I haven't been able to get aerobars for financial reasons, but staying in the drops seems to have helped a bit.

RoadRaven
05-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Tar-Cat
We have picked up a lot of our bits and pieces - including aero bars- on a local auction site called TradeMe - its been brilliant
Have you considered going online and hunting a localsite like this for you?
Or ask your local bike club about stuff their members have for sale... we have picked up nice wheels, a trainer and my partner's TT bike this way
Or local shops may sell stuff on behalf...
Second hand does not mean cheap and nasty - it can mean cheap and excellent

Examples---

--- my $NZ1200 Scorpio road bike bought for $NZ600 because hubby had bought for his wife and she rode it three times and didn't like it (online auction)

--- $NZ300 cycling trainer stand bought for $NZ50 because the guy from the local club was off overseas (local club newsletter)

We bought my as-new aero-bars for $NZ25, they don't have bar-end shifters on them, just the "naked" :p bars, but they are in good nick and ideal for getting used to the position. Good luck with finding some real soon

Tar-Cat
05-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks. I don't know why that didn't occur to me yet!

RoadRaven
05-27-2005, 01:04 PM
*waves frantically at TarCat*
... here at the same time!

"You are welcome, kitty cat" the bird whistles from the branch

spazzdog
05-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Here in the states also try Ebay for parts and that other place...

Was it www.craigslist.com gang? :confused:

spazz

CorsairMac
05-27-2005, 04:36 PM
yes ma'am - that would be one of them!

spazzdog
05-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks CorsairMac1

I know EBay does an international business, not sure how it effects shipping vs buying locally. Not sure of craigslist for inat'l purchasing.

Never hurts to look though RoadRaven... check them out and see what you find.

spazz

RoadRaven
05-28-2005, 01:08 PM
We have looked at EBay
But never bought from there - might be more of an option for Tar-Cat

We buy quite a bit from sales at online places like ProBikeKit, ReikerCycles and Torpedo7... particurlarly when the sales begin in the UK and USA based sites, because the end of winter or summer sales are perfect for us just beginning winter or summer - brilliant!

RoadRaven
05-28-2005, 01:14 PM
I meant to add too, that shipping is not too bad from most places, particularly if buying sale products.
You do have to be aware to keep your order low enough though so that you don't get hit with duty at customs.
Always check how much you buy against shipping price, because often you can get a little bit more, for comparitively less shipping costs.
Almost everything we have ordered arrives within two weeks though sometimes it even arrives within a week!
Brilliant!